Sign in to follow this  
Apollodad

64-bit driver for external hard drive SimpleTech by Fabrik

I have a external hard drive (SimpleTech by Fabrik, model # 96300-41011-073) that has a 32-bit driver and need a 64-bit driver. I could not find it on the manufacturers website and Windows Update does not find the device. Windows trouble shooter says I have the best driver for the device. Can anyone help? Thank you!

How does it connect to the PC? Also, what Operating System are you running? Does it have a product name such as "simpledrive:?

:geezer:

Windows 7 should have a generic driver that will work for either 32 or 64 bit systems. What type of problems are you having? (other than not being able to find 64 bit drivers) BTW, I wouldn't trust Windows Update for any hardware updates at all, you WILL have trouble then.

:geezer:

Device Manager shows a USB Mass Storage Device (before it named the drive and a drive path). DM says the device cannot start and that the driver is the best for the device. ( C:Windowssystem32DRIVERSusbfilter.sys & C:Windowssystem32driversUSBSTOR.SYS)

I'm not sure about CB's experiences, but I've used windows update for driver updates (excluding graphics and main chipset) for years on dozens of computers with no ill effects.

So the external drive does NOT appear in Windows Explorer? Can you take your external drive to another computer and see if it will work? You should not need a manufacturer driver for that drive since (from what I can see) there is no encryption chip.

same as wdey here, i haven't had any issues with microsoft provided drivers since windows xp years ago.

are you sure the issue is with the drive and not perhaps a different usb device? does the drive work or not?