Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signman

Centurylink DSL

Anybody on here use Centurylink DSL? Aside from the fact that it has hijacked IE for "their own" browser....where he did have the pages of the browser show pics..it no longer shows any pics when you open the Centurylink browser. He called tech support and they came out, didn't know what was wrong so they gave him a new DSL modem. The new modem does the same thing...no pics displayed in the browser. The tech said he didn't know what was wrong and downloaded Chrome for him to use instead. I have ran scans galore on it and I can't find anything wrong. Just thought someone here may have experienced the same thing. I would like to get it to use IE instead of Centurylink browser.

No idea about their service, but it simply sounds like it is "protecting" them from spyware etc., think of running a browser with ad and script blocking installed, it stops all sorts of adverts coming up (not a bad thing usually), and if their tech can't grab that possibilityconcept (more so if I am right), then they need to get a new job, now the way this is apparently being forced on you is another matter, it sounds like the router has a set up file run when connected, personally what I would check is in the addremove programs, have a look for anything that carries their name, especially any browser, then uninstall such a browser entry if found, and report back with any other file names you are unsure of.

The UK sent out routers with install disc's for setting up the router, but it installed all sorts of self branded files, including the browser, that's why I wonder if this may be happening here as well, another quick check is click on Start - Programs, look above the folders and see if ie is listed there, if it is then try it, you will possibly find that is your normal i.e., but see how you go, hope this helps a bit.

8210GUY, I don't know about a setup disk...this is my brother's computer. He just started having problems with it not showing pics within the browser. I did find a Centurylink item in the control panel that I uninstalled but that made no difference. Under manage add on...the Centurylink stuff is not there since I uninstalled that item in control panel. The moment you click the IE icon it defaults to a Centurylink browser...or maybe its a modified IE browser....that don't bother the brother..he just wants his pics back. It's supposed to look kind of like AOL's home webpage....lots of pics and such. I can't recall if there was any X's where the pics should be.

I have Centurylink DSL. I've never seen their browser! IE works perfectly on my Computer.

What version of Windows does your brother have?

I'm thinking it is not CenturyLink, the ISP could usually care less about such things. They may offer "free" software such as anti-virus to make their service more attractive but that is about the extent of it for most. And sometimes they like to shove themselves right in your face with a branded browser but they don't typically mess with anything else.

This problem is more likely related to a security setting at Internet Options:Advanced tab or Internet Options:Security tab:Internet

Less likely but possible is a third party security or anti-this-or anti-that program has been installed which slammed the lid down indescriminately with an inadvertant, even innocent looking, user toggle setting.

Jacee he has Windows 7 64bit. As soon as you click the IE icon..a Centurylink page opens. Instead of the little IE icon in the upper left of the browser it is changed to a green "starburst" "Centurylink" icon. I've ran Malwarebytes and Windows Defender offline scan from a bootable cd. Nothing "bad" is found.

Click on start, then click "Default Programs" in the menu to the right. Click on 'set your default programs' ... do you see IE? Click on it and set it as default.

Reboot.

Next, reset the homepage so it doesn't open to Centurylink!

You could always to a system restore to before this happened.

Also, that's just a branded version of IE, TWC used to love doing that also. You won't find anything w/ a spy/adware scanner since it's a legit program, IE

I have had Centurylink for several years. I have never seen that their system used a different browser, but it does change the IE home page to their page. That can be changed easily in internet properties, although I prefer their page to the standard IE page just because they display the Google search box rather than Bing.