Sign in to follow this  
brownhornet

i have waited long enough

holy canoli there isnt an ide connector for my dvd drive. where do i plug the power for the drive in,there are 6 brown color coded(i assume for HD's) and 2 white sata connectors,white?

EDIT: all is good now

Edited by brownhornet

when you unboxed your 8350 what did the heatsink look like,mine came with copper heat pipes.

yes sir, same with my heat sink, but i never used it. i have the Corsair H100 all in 1 water cooler.

It's recognizing the potential speed, but you're not running at 1866Mhz. Manually set it in BIOS. ;)

:geezer:

i tried setting it to 1866 and it froze my computer. i got into BIOS which froze as soon as i clicked on anything. all the o/c'ing i have done in the past,never once did it freeze in the BIOS. needless to say im am not a happy camper at ALL. this went on for 20min before i could set it back to 1333mhz. really want to keep the memory but if i cant get it to run at rated speed im sending it back,which really isnt an option since my son comes home tomorrow expecting his surprise. HELP!! :grr:

Is that the Asus Sabertooth mobo I recommended?? It shouldn't be freezing like that...Tx Redneck has one he's running with an FX-8120 lessee if I can get him to chime in here...

Did you update the BIOS immediately like the sticker on the socket cover said to? I didn't do that w/mine and had all sorts of problems until I did. Update to the latest bios available and try again.

I'm running 1866 GSkill RipjawX in mine w/out issue, at the rated speed.

@CB yes it is.

@TxRedneck, the socket did not have a cover now that you mention it! and the current BIOS is 1503. i did try the other day to update using the asus software but it never found a server. could you link me to a ''how to'' update BIOS. it's been too darn long since i tinkered with this stuff,please excuse my ignorance. oh and i am running the the ripjaws that CB linked at the top of this thread

@CB oh i know like i said before i never had a BIOS act like this before and this new UEFI is quite confusing to say the least.

Edited by brownhornet

well that didnt work at all!! i updated the BIOS which went well,got to windows and did some messing around. go back to BIOS and set memory to 1866 reboot. now it freezes at the screen where i can choose to enter the BIOS, pushing f2 or del does nothing. obviously there is more to it than just setting the memory to 1866,what those setting are i have no idea!

EDIT: well i got far enough to load defaults but damn if this isnt irratating.

@TxRedneck obviously you got the right settings for the memory,what do i need to do to get this running at the rated speed,thanks

Edited by brownhornet

What clock speeds are you attempting to run? In BIOS on the AI Tweaker tab set AI Overclock Tuner to "Manual". Now you can set the CPU Bus Freq. to like 100 and PCI-E Freq to 100-103...Then the CPU ratio would be about 42 for an O/C of 4200Mhz or 4.2Ghz...Now set the RAM speed to 1866Mhz. CPU/NB freq - auto, HT link speed - auto, CPU spread spectrum - disabled, PCIe spread spectrum - auto, EPU Power Saving - DISABLED!!!, O/C Tuner - cancel...set timings manually and on to DIGI+ Power Control - Extreme. Set RAM voltage to 1.5v. Leave the rest and jump to the Advanced Tab...Under CPU Config set Cool and quiet - disabled, C1E - disabled, SVM - disabled. Then I'd jump to CPU Core On/Off and make sure all cores are enabled...Do make sure that all SATA ports are enabled and set to RAID if necessary.. That oughta about cover it....unless Tx has something to add...

just trying to run the memory at 1866,not really trying to o/c yet. as per the gskill site my timings are 9-10-9 2n cas lat 9. i did look at the timing section but it looks foriegn to me.

gosh darn looking at the memory timings in BIOS now and i dont know what is what, like i said my timings are 9-10-9-28 2n cas lat 9. i an find the cas lat but i dont know what the other numbere represent cas,tras ras?????

EDIT: 9-10-9-28 i know that the first 9 is cas lat but the others not sure?

specs from gskill: http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-1866c9d-16gxm

2n??

EDIT: BTW there are more boxes than the 4-5 memory settings, would i leave those to auto??

Edited by brownhornet

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/6909/img20130610163325037.jpg

almost at my wits end: so went into the A.i. menu and set it to manual and for instance i set cas lat to 9 then went to next setting,as soon as i enter the next setting the previous one goes to auto. this happend with all the settings i tried to enter,the previous one goes to auto??? :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Edited by brownhornet

Which slots are your ram in? The *should be in the 1st and 3rd from the left if you're running 2x8Gig. Here's some pics of my bios settings.

https://copy.com/XzVxET3QFBaB2Jqg

PM sent

Edited by Tx Redneck

i have them in slots 2 & 4 according to the manual,will switch them around. but my question is: why when i am in A.I. and set to manual adjusting a setting then going to another the previous setting goes back to auto?

Iirc, there's a setting(OC Tuner I think) that has to be set to manual to set ram and cpu speeds. All I'd worry about is getting the speed set atm, if that can be done, then worry about timings, but Tbh, unless you plan on OCing the ram, I wouldn't be concerned about them.

bh, just set it to 1866Mhz and then set the first 4 timings to 9-10-9-28 and leave the rest on auto...

There is a "learning curve" to the UEFI but it sure is nice to be able to use a mouse and navigate without arrow keys...

That CPU is supposed to run stock at 4.0Ghz so set the BCLK or CPU bus to 100 and the CPU ratio to 40 and about 1.15-1.2v CPU Voltage. See if it'll run there...

Side note...if there was no BIOS warning sticker on the socket cover of that board, it's conceivable that it could be an RMA to Newegg and if you continue to have trouble getting it to run out at stock speeds and recommended RAM I'd return it before the 30 days is up. Sorry to see you having so much trouble...BTW, the UEFI BIOS is pretty easy to learn, just be calm and "explore" like we used to on the old type BIOS.

I came across this thread and thought I might try and help you with the 8350 and the Sabertooth. I included pics of my bios that should at least get you running considering every system is different to a degree. These settings are 100% stable on my system. I have never had a lockup or bsod's. This should get you running, just plug in your memory timings in place of mine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by edw6698

sounds stupid i know, but your best bet really is to read the motherboard manual, disregard all/any advice for overclocking like you've been doing, and if while following the manual you come across something that isn't working the way it says it should then you know you may have a problem somewhere with the ram or motherboard, like a faulty slot etc.

i always set everything with just the 1 ram stick installed (the first thing you want to check is the ram voltage is set correctly) when that works fine add the second, if there's a problem after adding the second stick then it's time to start trouble shooting.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

first of all i would like to thank all for the bits and piece's of valuable info,i have learned so much. among the various settings i used/tried i have fixed this issue. the sticks timings from factory are 9-10-9-28,what ultimately worked among the other settings i used was to set the sticks to 9-10-9-30 with a command rate of 2t instead of 1t. there surely is a learning curve with this new technology,just wish i didnt wait so long to upgrade so i could learn this stuff. anyways im gonna order a vid card today and need some opinions please:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202024&Tpk=7870%20xt&IsVirtualParent=1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131484

i know both ared based on the tahiti chip but have never owned a sapphire card,i did own a powercolor 9700pro back in the day. i also like the sapphire card since it has 2 fans and i read these cards run hot. thanks again guys and if you ever make it to vegas the first one is on me. :b33r::geezer:

Edited by brownhornet

Well, I had a Sapphire card or two back in the 800 series days and LOVED 'em. Sapphire gets my vote!

Well, I had a Sapphire card or two back in the 800 series days and LOVED 'em. Sapphire gets my vote!

sapphire it is,order placed!