Norton and Malware Scanners

humpd

I currently use Norton Internet Security as my main active AV. I also have Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware as scanners only (the free versions). I have gotten two warning messages from Norton Internet Security saying that the two scanners are not compatible with Norton and that I should uninstall them. Since neither is running in the background, do I need to uninstall them or can I keep them both so long as they are not actively running in the background. I DO scan with both regularly. Thanks.

I have several more months left with my Norton subscription so I am not willing to do that. The question still remains whether or not Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware in just their scanner modes conflict with Norton.

As long as they're used as on demand scanners, you'll be fine. I too use NIS, haven't gotten those warnings. Are absolutely certain the real time protection modules haven't been installed by mistake?

My MIS is the latest update and I am sure that neither malware scanner is turned on. Maybe it is just the new Norton seeing those scanners and sort of assuming that they are turned on. I never had an issue before the latest Norton update so maybe that is it. I will keep both and continue to use them as scanners. Thanks for the responses.

Look in "Services" and see if they're listed as Automatic and started. If so, just change the startup to Manual and stop from running in the background.

Possibly Norton won't be such a hog about it's demands!

I checked services and neither is running. I got the warning about Malwarebytes when I installed the Norton Internet Security update (essentially a re-install to the latest version of NIS) and only about a week later the warning about SuperAntispyware. In any event, all three programs seem to be running OK so I assume that as long as I don't start running them full time, all will be fine. Thanks for the responses.

Archived