Change Mode

I did a search first, but found no existing thread on this infection - if it does match an existing thread, please forgive my mistake.

So ... my wife's PC has been hijacked - we spent many hours yesterday trying to fix it ourselves. The reason for my post is to say the name of the bogus Antivirus program is "System Care Antivirus," and to ask two questions.

Question 1: Are the available solutions out there legitimate? There is very little information available on the Internet about this particular infection. All we could find is sites from people with Russian sounding names telling us to download another program then boot into safe mode and run the downloaded fix. I believe that running one of these "fixes" would have been worse than the problem. Is that true?

Question 2: Would lingering effects of the infection be an explanation for why we cannot successfully re-install Vista? We decided on a reinstall because after removing everything we could find, the A/V had wiped the Firewall and Windows Defender services and none of the Microsoft fixes we found were successful in replacing them.

Thanks for your help. Any comments at all would be welcome - even negative ones :) ... Once the computer is back up and running, we can re-run a scan and post the results.

Sorry to hear of your troubles smdk66.

That "infection" is a rouge AV. It will block your security programs until you rip it out of your system. I don't know what available solutions you have found... but I bet I can remove it. :)

If you do a clean install (re-format and reinstall) then it will be gone. If you do a repair install or just try to reinstall over the top - it will still be there.

Have you reformatted?

If you haven't... the I suggest that you do so and then install Vista - or - you can try to provide me with the following logs and we'll see if we can kill it.

Please download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links and save it to your desktop.

[*]

[*]DDS.scr

[*]DDS.pif

[*]Disable any script blocking protection (How to Disable your Security Programs)

[*]Double click DDS icon to run the tool (may take up to 3 minutes to run)

[*]When done, DDS.txt will open.

[*]After a few moments, attach.txt will open in a second window.

[*]Save both reports to your desktop.

---------------------------------------------------

[*]Post the contents of the DDS.txt and Attach.txt report in your next reply

Thanks!

We're reinstalling the OS right now ... didn't format the hard drive, and she's having all kinds of problems. We've got a lot going on so might be a day or two before we can post this stuff.

If you reformat and reinstall the operating system... there isn't a real need to dig any deeper here. Everything will be fresh and new. There will not be any viruses... unless you download/install some new ones.

However, I'll have a look at your log if you post one. It will be pretty long with a new install.

Well, it turns out my wife gave up, even though she knew this was an option.... She formatted the hard drive, and bought / installed Windows 8. So I don't think we'll be running those tests. Thanks for your offer to help.

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.Everyone else please begin a New Topic.