Change Mode

Was surfing some forums and found a mention of this at TRP so I looked into. It's a ten day folding challenge and sounds like fun. You would fold for OCF to help them retain their title from last year. From reading the info...after the challenge they like to help out the people who helped them. Sounds like a blast....I'm be joining the good ship USS Poo Flinger for the challenge.... :mrgreen:

Start: Saturday, April 13th, Noon (Pacific Daylight Time)
Finish: Tuesday, April 23rd, Noon (Pacific Daylight Time)

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729988

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729946

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was surfing some forums and found a mention of this at TRP so I looked into. It's a ten day folding challenge and sounds like fun. You would fold for OCF to help them retain their title from last year. From reading the info...after the challenge they like to help out the people who helped them. Sounds like a blast....I'm be joining the good ship USS Poo Flinger for the challenge.... :mrgreen:

Start: Saturday, April 13th, Noon (Pacific Daylight Time)

Finish: Tuesday, April 23rd, Noon (Pacific Daylight Time)

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729988

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729946

we have received requests in the past to enter the Chimp Challenge and fold for another team and were told they would fold for us to make up the difference. Never happened this is not new news. If you want fold for them go right ahead as Stanford will get the work so that is a good thing but don't believe there will be any compensation to the Pit. You can search the old threads if you don't believe me.

Howdy All,

New member here, and Captain of the OCF Chimp Challenge team.

I ALWAYS repay those who assist us, and generously. I just got through helping Tom's Hardware to pass SilentPCReview team, and they haven't even helped us this year (they might help us later though).

OCFthanksTomsHardware     2,991,560

ChasR (from our team), added another half a million points, using his own folding name.

[H]ardOCP helped us last year (we didn't ask, they just wanted to race for fun), and we repayed them nicely (they helped a lot!):

OCFthanks[H]     21,338,432

And they gave us their famous flamboyant (purple) hat to thank us for a record folding month!

Right now, I'm folding a million points for the TRP team, even though the race hasn't begun yet. They're buds.

But words are always cheap, so make way for "Adak", in your top producers list. I can't stay long (race starts in only 8 more days), but it will be long enough. And I'll be back, big time.

Edit:

Found the old CC race donations you made in '09 - you just dealt with an untrustworthy member at EVGA.

No wonder! :rofl3::laughing:

We have a ship (USS Poo Flinger), that makes the rounds after the race, and makes the paybacks more fun. It won't be just me, and everyone will agree your payback was generous.

But the race is fun, anyway!

See you soon.

Edited by Adak

Thanks for that Adak, I appreciate it. I will be joining you for the CC and I encourage everybody else to help out. It's always good when you have some cross-forum fun..... :P Even better when you get to fling some poo around..... :laughing:

Thanks for that Adak, I appreciate it. I will be joining you for the CC and I encourage everybody else to help out. It's always good when you have some cross-forum fun..... :P Even better when you get to fling some poo around..... :laughing:

I suggest that we all use Pit Crew as our user name so they know we were there. What is the team number? Go Pit :sparkle:

Edited by cmstpprr

I suggest that we all use Pit Crew as our user name so they know we were there. What is the team number? Go Pit :sparkle:

If we change our usernames, then we'll need new passkeys and we'll have to do a bunch of Folding that isns't necessary...I think all we need do is change our Team number in the config and let 'er fly.

Just my $.02

:geezer:

Howdy All,

New member here, and Captain of the OCF Chimp Challenge team.

I ALWAYS repay those who assist us, and generously. I just got through helping Tom's Hardware to pass SilentPCReview team, and they haven't even helped us this year (they might help us later though).

OCFthanksTomsHardware     2,991,560

ChasR (from our team), added another half a million points, using his own folding name.

[H]ardOCP helped us last year (we didn't ask, they just wanted to race for fun), and we repayed them nicely (they helped a lot!):

OCFthanks[H]     21,338,432

And they gave us their famous flamboyant (purple) hat to thank us for a record folding month!

Right now, I'm folding a million points for the TRP team, even though the race hasn't begun yet. They're buds.

But words are always cheap, so make way for "Adak", in your top producers list. I can't stay long (race starts in only 8 more days), but it will be long enough. And I'll be back, big time.

Edit:

Found the old CC race donations you made in '09 - you just dealt with an untrustworthy member at EVGA.

No wonder! :rofl3::laughing:

We have a ship (USS Poo Flinger), that makes the rounds after the race, and makes the paybacks more fun. It won't be just me, and everyone will agree your payback was generous.

But the race is fun, anyway!

See you soon.

Welcome aboard!! (temporarily)

Fold On!

If we change our usernames, then we'll need new passkeys and we'll have to do a bunch of Folding that isns't necessary...I think all we need do is change our Team number in the config and let 'er fly.

Just my $.02

:o I didn't think of that as I don't use a passkey because I only fold on GPU's and there ain't no passkey bonus for me. My bad.

My understanding is that all you need to do is change the team number to 32 and fold under your name. That way the passkey is still there to get the bonus. I believe CB is correct that if you fold under another name...you would have to fold the 10 units to get the bonus. But, then again, I'm no expert as I've only ever folded for PCP. However, I will keep track of everybody's contributions and make sure they know what we helped out with as a team.

Dan

That would be excellent if you could keep track of it for me, Dan.

OCF is team 32.

I lose my passkey bonus whenever I change team number - you will as well, but don't worry about losing points.

I see the enemy ship, dead ahead -- the BIGGEST THIEVES EVER in the history of Distributed Computing!!

Yes -- the damnable Czech National Team!

And I would be honored to help you pass that nest of thieves and cheats, in ANY case!

I'll start up another thread about the Czech thieves, because it's rather long, and you may need a bit of Pepto Bismol to stomach what they did, in any case.

Edited by Adak

That would be excellent if you could keep track of it for me, Dan.

OCF is team 32.

I lose my passkey bonus whenever I change team number - you will as well, but don't worry about losing points.

So folding as username Pit Crew would be OK cause you need a new pass key when you change the team number. Did I understand this correctly?

You don't need a new passkey. Your same passkey is OK, but it will have to be re-qualified in order to earn bonus points:

*by folding 10 work units (smp I believe)

*with at least an 80% success rate

If you get a new passkey, it will still have to be qualified before a bonus point is awarded - so old passkey, or new passkey, it won't matter. Either one will have to be qualified (or re-qualified), with the new team number.

Your old team number will still be OK for bonus points with your old passkey, when the race is over.

You can use whatever name you want to - or keep the name you have now. If you have a passkey, the name really doesn't matter to FAH. That's why they like passkeys. No two of them are the same.

You don't need a new passkey. Your same passkey is OK, but it will have to be re-qualified in order to earn bonus points:

*by folding 10 work units (smp I believe)

*with at least an 80% success rate

If you get a new passkey, it will still have to be qualified before a bonus point is awarded - so old passkey, or new passkey, it won't matter. Either one will have to be qualified (or re-qualified), with the new team number.

Your old team number will still be OK for bonus points with your old passkey, when the race is over.

You can use whatever name you want to - or keep the name you have now. If you have a passkey, the name really doesn't matter to FAH. That's why they like passkeys. No two of them are the same.

So that means all the members of the pit team could fold under the user name of Pit Crew to easily follow the Pits progress and the pass key only applies to team 32?

Edited by cmstpprr

All Pit Crew folders could fold under the same folding name, if they wanted to. Or they can fold using their regular folding names. Either way.

The passkey teams you qualify for, are added to the teams you have qualified for in the past. My passkey is qualified for 3 teams, currently, and will be qualifed for a fourth one (this team), in 2 days.

BUT I do have a public passkey for OCF, that is already qualified - it's a special one for the CC race, last year. Let me try it out and see if it still works - it was special, and might have expired.

I'll get back to you.

FYI - Changed my team ID to 32 last night and will fold a couple of WU's to make sure everything is working (such as the bonus) for the CC. Will then be back until the contest starts.

BTW - I posted one BU last night for team 32. Now that was started under our ID and finished under 32. It posted the full normal points I get for an 8103...340K+. I have one more 8103 that will post tonight that was started under 32 and will end under 32. I just want to see if it posts the full amount like the first one or not. After this second BU I will be switching back to PCP. Basically, this is just a test.

Question, if we fold under one username and one passkey, then it should not take long to get to 10 WU's completed as multiple people will be doing it...correct? If I find out full points were not posted on the second BU....then it would take me about 8 more days to get to 10 WU's by myself to get bonus qualified.

Question, if we fold under one username and one passkey, then it should not take long to get to 10 WU's completed as multiple people will be doing it...correct? If I find out full points were not posted on the second BU....then it would take me about 8 more days to get to 10 WU's by myself to get bonus qualified.

You must be getting huge work units. I'm getting half the points per day that you get and I'm logging 18 to 35 work units per day.

BTW - I posted one BU last night for team 32. Now that was started under our ID and finished under 32. It posted the full normal points I get for an 8103...340K+. I have one more 8103 that will post tonight that was started under 32 and will end under 32. I just want to see if it posts the full amount like the first one or not. After this second BU I will be switching back to PCP. Basically, this is just a test.

Very interesting, thanks for the testing.

It seems the servers are not implementing the check on the award of bonus points, for the BA wu's, in the same way that they do for regular SMP wu's. With regular SMP wu's, whenever I start folding for a new team with my passkey, I lose bonus points for the first 10 work units. When I go back to a team 6 months later (after lots of folding for other teams or my own), I instantly get full bonus points again.

As soon as the current BA wu is sent in for TRP, I will switch it over to the public (special passkey) for the CC, and have it send in SMP units to OCF, and see if it's still working OK under the folding name "Pit_Crew".

And let it run overnight. If it qualifies, then that would be the way to go - use just one passkey, and already have it qualified for all the bonus points for the entire group.

Meanwhile, I'll continue folding for Pit Stop, on my other rigs, so they get my passkey qualified over here.

You can use your 4P set to regular SMP (not big advanced), to qualify a passkey, in just 1 day (about). Then reset it to BA, and you'll be good to go. Be sure to keep your success rate above 80%, throughout the process.

So, more info tomorrrow, after more testing, tonight.

Edited by Adak

Windsurf...yep, I running BidAdv work units. It takes my 4P 6172 opterons (48 cores) @ 2.1 about 24 hours to complete one 8101 unit for about 295k. 8103 units are much better as they complete in less than a day for 340K.

Just turned in the first wu (smp) for Pit_Crew on team 32 (OCF), with the public passkey (special one). It received just a bare few bonus points, almost nothing.

I'll work with it tonight and see how it does after it's "refreshed" with 10 wu's. Then I'd like to give the passkey to someone from Pit Stop, and have them fold an smp wu with it. (not bigadv).

We'll get it sorted out.

OK...testing is done. The second BU also gave me full points. So it seems BA units work a little different, in regards to the bonus, than regular SMP units. However, if everybody is going to use one ID, I will use that as well.

Note - Even without those 2 WU's we still set a new weekly record over 7M! Way to fold everyone! :clap: