Sign in to follow this  
poru

Spam from myself

I have recently recieved a spam from myself. At least my address is in the "from" field. A header search (Hotmail/Outlook) showed that the origin was a Russian pharmacy (disturbingly, the Google search page entry showed an all-green WOT score; going to WOT's site showed uniform "very poor" ratings. WOT is spoofed?).

A search indicates this self-spamming is not unknown; it is evidently a form of spoofing. The problem is, of course, that if I block the site, I am also blocking myself (Am I right?). Sort of a paradoxical, standing between mirrors sort of thing. Most of the online comments essentially say "live with it -- just delete and get on with your life". I suppose that I can do this, but it is not a very elegant solution. Is there a bett answer?

Hello poru

The first thing to do is change the password for your e mail account as it may have been compromised.

Once you have changed the password, monitor your e maail to see if there are any more spammings. If it continues after changing the password, let me know and we'll take a closer look :)

Good enough. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Sorry for the delay -- I wanted to make sure. Everything seems normal; just the regular old spam (Outlook's filter just doesn't seem as good as the old Hotmail). I did change the password as you suggested. Thanks for the help!

Outlook's filter just doesn't seem as good as the old Hotmail

I agree :)

So long as you are no longer sending spam to your own account, that sounds like job done :hammer:

If not, you know where to find us.

Best wishes

JonTom

Since this issue appears to be resolved I'll close this one out.

Best wishes,

JonTom :)