Change Mode

Hello

I wonder if someone on here might be able to help me. I recently bought a SZ77R5 with an Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz Socket 1155 CPU. The reason I bought one of these processors was because of its ability to use the Intel Wireless Display (WiDi) technology that is incorporated into a number of Intel CPU's.

The next piece of equipment that I have to get is a wireless adaptor. I know that there are wireless PCIe cards that can go into the expension slots at the back of the PC. I would prefer not to use one of these as they require an aerial cable to attach to the PCIe card sockets and as I would like to able to take the shuttle out of the house on a number of occasions, that obviously is not going to be helpful.

What I am interested in is the Mini PCIe (both long and short) expansion slots located near the front left of the mainboard. I gather that these slots would allow me to fit the kind of card that I have fitted to the underside of my laptop. See the following website for conformation of compatible Intel Centino Wireless Adapters.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-033373.htm

My question is: Are any of these compatible with either of the mini expansion slots placed on the SZ77R5 mainboard?

PLEASE NOTE: I will probably be able to connect to the internet using a direct ethernet LAN cable so there is no need for the adpater to get me online, as long as it can pick up the wireless display about 5/6 feet away I will be happy.

Also I know that the antenna in laptops are threaded round the screen - if I were able to insert one of the cards mentioned in the website above, would I have to thread the antenna round the shuttle's case and if so would that make the case 'live' causing interference, etc?

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Rich

Hello

I wonder if someone on here might be able to help me. I recently bought a SZ77R5 with an Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz Socket 1155 CPU. The reason I bought one of these processors was because of its ability to use the Intel Wireless Display (WiDi) technology that is incorporated into a number of Intel CPU's.

The next piece of equipment that I have to get is a wireless adaptor. I know that there are wireless PCIe cards that can go into the expension slots at the back of the PC. I would prefer not to use one of these as they require an aerial cable to attach to the PCIe card sockets and as I would like to able to take the shuttle out of the house on a number of occasions, that obviously is not going to be helpful.

What I am interested in is the Mini PCIe (both long and short) expansion slots located near the front left of the mainboard. I gather that these slots would allow me to fit the kind of card that I have fitted to the underside of my laptop. See the following website for conformation of compatible Intel Centino Wireless Adapters.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-033373.htm

My question is: Are any of these compatible with either of the mini expansion slots placed on the SZ77R5 mainboard?

PLEASE NOTE: I will probably be able to connect to the internet using a direct ethernet LAN cable so there is no need for the adpater to get me online, as long as it can pick up the wireless display about 5/6 feet away I will be happy.

Also I know that the antenna in laptops are threaded round the screen - if I were able to insert one of the cards mentioned in the website above, would I have to thread the antenna round the shuttle's case and if so would that make the case 'live' causing interference, etc?

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Rich

It appears to me as tho' this one would be fine > http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Centrino-Ultimate-n-633anhmw-802-11a/dp/B00962IFQ4

At least it's on the list and has good reviews... BTW Google is your friend. ;)

:geezer:

Thank you for your reply caintry_boy - I have found an equivalent adapter on Amazon UK at:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Centrino-Ultimate-N-Wireless-633AN-HMWWB/dp/B004OXOGBI/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1363678860&sr=1-2

I can also buy a pair of UF.L Antenna at

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JUSTOP-Internal-Antenna-PCI-Express-Connector/dp/B008KQAQEG/ref=pd_bxgy_computers_img_y

This leads me to ask should I strap them to the inside of chassis so that they cannot make the case 'live' and cause interference? Also I see that the 6300 has 3 UF.L sockets - would I gain any benefit from adding in a third antenna?

I appreciate your time on this.

Google is usually kind to me if I input the right kind of search terms - it's trying to figure what they are that gets me stumped. :h3lp::surrender:

Thanks again, Rich

Edited by riggy77

Um, pretty sure that card runs a 3x radio. Not installing the third antennae will be pretty much using 2/3 of the device... Would also reduce the effectiveness of beam forming and overall bandwidth.

Routing the antenna around the outside of the case is fine. Really doubt you'd have enough line there to cause any issues. If you route inside the case, try to stay along the plastic panels. Directly routing behind a metal panel is not ideal. It would be akin to using tin foil on a router antenna to make a directional beam.

Thank you for your input.

So if I were to decide to use the third UF.L connection, is it just a case of getting another pair and discarding one of the antenna as 'spare' or do I have to specifically buy a pack of three antenna? Is there such a thing? Sorry to have to ask such a dumb question but I've never thought about it before now...

Rich