Sign in to follow this  
terry1966

suse 12.3 user ready?

personally no i don't think it is.

spent all day today trying to get vsftpd working (still not.) and during those efforts firefox crashed on me a couple of times and dolphin super user froze and crashed a few times too.

what's even more annoying. :pullhair:

there was no mythtv frontend in the repo's so i couldn't even watch my tv easily while testing. :rofl3:

install was easy and fast tho and quite like it, just not what i'd call 100% stable at the moment and would find it hard to recommend to a novice just right now, maybe in a month or so then yes.

:b33r:

I have been running RC2 for a while and now running 12.3 release. I haven't had a single crash, or problem. As for mythfrontend I fail to see how that has anything to do with the release of an OS. Packman is not openSUSE. You could however add the mythfrontend from packman 12.2 it also needs lybmyth, basethemes, common.

I am watching tv mythfrontend on my laptop running 12.3 with the backend on 12.2

Edited by Bruce

I am watching tv mythfrontend on my laptop running 12.3 with the backend on 12.2

same here, ;)

was still a disapointment it wasn't in the repo's so i could have been watching it while testing. :rofl3:

no idea why firefox crashed, but john said he's had it happen to him also at least once, just clicked on a link to open a new tab and crash firefox has to restart message.

the dolphin crashes may have been because i had a few superuser windows open along with a few kwrite windows comparing files, but whatever the reason it still froze and crashed a few times.

so don't think it's 100% stable, and yes it was a completely clean install. :P

and have absolutely no clue why vsftpd doesn't work.

it seems to work fine but always refuses a correct loging name and password. think it may have something to do with pam, network-remotefs or xinetd but all just guess work on my part and couldn't find anything with google that helped me.

It will be difficult to leave 12.2, When i do, I will miss it, Though it will not happen anytime soon :tup:

Not because of issue's that the new release may have, Because 12.2 feels like home for now.

found another problem somewhere in it.

i added a tab in system monitor with 9 boxes to monitor things like my temps with a digital display and memory use with a graphical display etc.

after it's been running about 4 1/2 minutes it crashes and loses 2 readings so the memory graph drops to zero and jumps across 2 boxes so it now displays as a digital readout, restart system monitor and it works fine again for those 4 1/2 minutes before again crashing, no big issue just annoying.

the main and only real problem i have with it at the moment is vsftpd not working, but give it a couple of weeks/months and i'm sure everything will be fixed.

i'm not overly keen on these 8 month regular release schedules, think it places to much pressure on the devs to release something and iron out any remaining bugs after the release date, i'd much prefer a similar time frame as now for creating the next version, but a much longer testing time so they release once a year say.

then again i suppose the only time they get thoroughly tested is after it's released. :mrgreen:

i don't think you'll be disappointed when you do go to 12.3 duan. tho must admit i can't say i like the default dark panel and desktop folder to much.

You seem to confuse software issues with operating system issues. Needless to say, when you filed your bug reports with the relevant log files and information what kind of feedback did you get?

As for the 8 month release cycle no one is forcing you to install a new system the day it is released :lol: Your old one is still supported :P

The beauty KDE is it's endless configuration options and available settings. ;) Change the way it looks. I have been using the same themes/setup for about 5 rlease cycles and it is usually one of the first things I do.

not confusing anything. :P

dolphin and system monitor etc are all part of the default suse 12.3 kde os install. so should work without any crashing or bugs on final release, same applies for any software in it's default repo's like vsftpd. plain and simple. ;)

these bugs are only there in my opinion because the devs haven't had the time to completely resolve everything because of the tight release schedule, and why i don't think it's fully user ready yet, saying that tho there are no show stoppers and i've been using it fine since i installed it, but any bugs don't look good for suse by anyone new trying it out for the first time. :pullhair:

of course i don't need to install every 8 months or install on day one, and as you know i usually don't, i don't even install every version usually jumping them, but seeing how i did this time i thought i'd give my unbiased opinion on it. :mrgreen:

yes we know everything is configurable in kde, that still doesn't mean i can not dislike it's new default colour scheme tho, actually dislike is probably to strong a word really, i just preferred the older default scheme. :P

file bug reports?? are you silly.. you know i'm to lazy for that. :laughing:

things will get fixed quick enough anyway without my help. :mrgreen:

with the relevant log files

i can't even find the vsftpd log file, i set it to create logs and thought it should be /var/log/vsftpd.log according to the config file, but nope nothing ever gets written there, and a search finds nothing either.

so am guessing there's some type of permission problem with it at the moment.

Edited by terry1966

I haven't had any such crashes, and have been using it for a while now.

have you considered using a different ftp server? A quick google search shows that vsftp has been throwing 503 incorrect login errors for years and years.

no haven't really looked at anything, since the first day of install and trying to get vsftpd to work, it's only a temp install at the moment because i'm going to be swapping hard drives around etc., think i'm going to run a raid 10 this time for a while on this pc.

actually using an upgrade of a 12.2 with a working vsftpd to 12.3 at the moment to see if vsftpd would still work, of course it stopped working. :laughing:

must admit haven't had a firefox or dolphin crash since the first day when i had loads of things open trying to trouble shoot vsftpd.

don't suppose you've setup a home ftp server for years seeing how you use a web hosting site, so can't say what you use?

far as i'm aware vsftpd is still considered to be the best ftp choice tho, and think only other choice is pureftpd.

Edited by terry1966

I have no use for ftp. I use owncloud to sync folders and files I may need between here and work and also my tablet, and phone. Set it up and forget about it. Just drag a file into the dorectory and all my devices have access to it.

couple of questions for you bruce

you still use skype, if so what version do you use? i've gone back to the old 2.2 version from the new 4.1, i just don't like it for some reason.

if not what what do you use/recommend now? google voice?

you started using pulseaudio yet? i still don't but was curious.

you installed your mythtv setup yet with mariadb instead of mysql and if so did you have any problems migrating the database (says there shouldn't be but...), i'm still debating with myself whether to update my myth setup now to 26 and suse 12.3 (even tho i only just updated it to suse 12.2 a couple months back from 11.4, can't think now why i didn't upgrade it to 26 tho.) or leave it alone for a while yet. :laughing:

and do you still disable ipv6? haven't yet in 12.3 but think i have for all other installs i've done in the past, and pretty sure it's disabled on my myth server too.

Edited by terry1966

I haven't had any such crashes, and have been using it for a while now.

have you considered using a different ftp server? A quick google search shows that vsftp has been throwing 503 incorrect login errors for years and years.

"503 incorrect login errors" is normal and has been for years when the passwd is incorrect , nothing new about that 12.3.

I have been using vsftpd for about 10 years and am not about to change forsuse 12.3. 12.3 is broken not vsftpd.

No one is forcing you to change John. :lol:

I have been using a cup to hold my coffee for years and I ain't gonna stop doing that either. :rolleyes:

Have you submitted a bug report?

I googled 503 incorrect login erros for vsftp and found years and years of issues on all distributions, that doesn't mean I would not use one of those, I usually try and find a solution when I have an issue, or find something to use instead until a solution is found, some people don't instead they wait patiently until someone else works it out for them.

Either way just use what works for you, complaining about something you are not willing to work through doesn't do much good.

Of course you saw "years and years" of the 503 error. That's the NORMAL error message for an incorrect password! :P Nothing new in 12.3 with that.

What IS new in 12.3 is getting the 503 error with the CORRECT password.

In the suse factory repo is pure-ftpd. I installed it and it won't work either. Nor will the versions of vsftpd from 12.1 and 12.2 when installed cleanly in 12.3.

I don't care how you hold your coffee. :P

The years and years of threads are much more than people entering wrong passwords :lol:

The issue is systemctl and sysconfig related.

vsftp hasn't caught up with the new systemctl way of doing things. ;)

vsftp hasn't caught up with the new systemctl way of doing things. ;)

That's backwards Bruce. :lol: The suse devs haven't caught up with vsftpd. I installed the 12.3 rpm in 12.2 and it vsftpd perfectly.

Giga3:/media/sdb1-ext4/root/ftp-12.3-rpms # rpm --test -Uvh vsftpd-3.0.2-4.2.1.x86_64.rpmPreparing...                ########################################### [100%]Giga3:/media/sdb1-ext4/root/ftp-12.3-rpms # rpm -Uvh vsftpd-3.0.2-4.2.1.x86_64.rpmPreparing...                ########################################### [100%]   1:vsftpd                 ########################################### [100%]redirecting to systemctlGiga3:/media/sdb1-ext4/root/ftp-12.3-rpms #

so let me see, no ftp server works because suse 12.3 broke them but at least pureftp can be gotten to work by bypassing pam.. :mrgreen:

so you admit suse 12.3 still has bugs then. :P

vsftpd has always worked fine in 12.3 just as long as you use anonymous loggings it's just authenticated loggings where the problems are.

now to find out if i can bypass pam just as easily in vsftpd. :laughing:

I didn't say it had no bugs Terry. I said I haven't had any problems, but then the title of the thread was posed as a question. I will answer the question, yes it is "user" ready.

I am a user, and it is ready for my use.

My Mom also, but then maybe I will ask her if she has to have ftp server first. :rolleyes:

Edited by Bruce

:P

going back to 12.2 myself, no matter how user ready 12.3 is. ;)

found another issue (besides ones pointed out so far.) with 12.3 now that annoys me so much i really can't put up with it. :laughing:

system warning sounds stop sound to whatever i'm watching in mythtv. needing me to go back to recording menu and start watching it again so it takes back control of the sound card.

sound is through hdmi cable to tv and no matter what settings i change in mythtv or system settings i can't stop it from happening, no problems with other sounds like skype or flash etc, locking the sound card just seems to be system sounds. :bang:

seem to remember this is similar to a problem i'd experienced before using pulseaudio and why i never use pulseaudio.

The factory repo has a new vsftpd rpm that came out Fri. I tried in 12.3 and it fixed it. It installs cleanly with no missing deps. Like 12.2 though, you stil have to add:

allow_writeable_chroot=YES

to the /etc/vsftpd.conf file like in 12.2. I would guess(hope :lol: ) that soon there will be a normal update for 12.3 that installs this version.

[email protected]:~/Downloads> wget -c -t inf http://download.opensuse.org/factory/repo/oss/suse/x86_64/vsftpd-3.0.2-8.1.x86_64.rpm--2013-04-06 08:53:28--  http://download.opensuse.org/factory/repo/oss/suse/x86_64/vsftpd-3.0.2-8.1.x86_64.rpmResolving download.opensuse.org (download.opensuse.org)... 195.135.221.134, 2001:67c:2178:8::13Connecting to download.opensuse.org (download.opensuse.org)|195.135.221.134|:80... connected.HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 FoundLocation: http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/opensuse/factory/repo/oss/suse/x86_64/vsftpd-3.0.2-8.1.x86_64.rpm [following]--2013-04-06 08:53:29--  http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/opensuse/factory/repo/oss/suse/x86_64/vsftpd-3.0.2-8.1.x86_64.rpmResolving ftp.osuosl.org (ftp.osuosl.org)... 64.50.233.100, 64.50.236.52Connecting to ftp.osuosl.org (ftp.osuosl.org)|64.50.233.100|:80... connected.HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OKLength: 144872 (141K) [application/x-rpm]Saving to: `vsftpd-3.0.2-8.1.x86_64.rpm'100%[=======================================================================================>] 144,872      652K/s   in 0.2s    2013-04-06 08:53:29 (652 KB/s) - `vsftpd-3.0.2-8.1.x86_64.rpm' saved [144872/144872][email protected]:~/Downloads> suPassword:Giga3:/home/john/Downloads # rpm --test -ivh vsftpd-3.0.2-8.1.x86_64.rpmPreparing...                          ################################# [100%]Giga3:/home/john/Downloads # rpm -ivh vsftpd-3.0.2-8.1.x86_64.rpmPreparing...                          ################################# [100%]Updating / installing...   1:vsftpd-3.0.2-8.1                 ################################# [100%]Giga3:/home/john/Downloads # su [email protected]:~/Downloads>