Change Mode

can no longer access internet or alter internet connections

Please help! We have an eMachine eM355 that does not have a CD drive and is running Windows 7 starter. It was connected wirelessly to the internet and was working fine. It contracted a virus which has been cleaned off. Now however, we not only cannot connect to the internet but all attempts to try and alter any aspect of trying to connect doesn't do anything. For example, when I go to my internet and sharing center and click <connect to a network> it opens the little box that opens if I right-click on my internet connections icon in my bar across the bottom of the screen. If I right-click there, and choose <open network and sharing center>, it opens the centre but I can't do anything else. If I try to set up a new connection and choose wireless, it also just opens up the same little box that opens by right-clicking on the icon. If I use network diagnostics, it says it can't identify any problems. If I open Internet Options, and click <setup>, and choose <wireless>, that same little box opens up and the internet options box goes back to where I can click <setup> again. One other thing..while I was working through all the ways we have tried to fix this problem just now so I could say exactly what happens, the little icon in the bar went from showing there was a connection (albeit we can't access it) to showing no connection. Not sure why.

Sorry to be so longwinded, I am hoping all this information is helpful.

Have you tried going to Control Panel and under Network and Internet clicking "View network status and tasks"? Have a look in the left pane at the "Change adapter settings". Is your wireless connection shown there?? If not go back to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Device Manager and look under Network Adapters there, I would right click my adapter and select Uninstall (if asked, DO NOT agree to uninstall drivers). Reboot the PC and Windows should reinstall the adapter. Can you connect now??

:geezer:

• 1 month later...

Hi,. Caintry_Boy. I encountered the same problem but mine was not "disabled" (unlike tyzerman's case) and tried the second solution (that you posted) but still, nothing happened. I CAN connect in the internet using a cable. When the cable was pulled my Em355 CAN detect wireless networks but when i try to connect to any of those the box would only tell me that I was unable to connect there. Hope you can help me. Thanks :)

Hi,. Caintry_Boy. I encountered the same problem but mine was not "disabled" (unlike tyzerman's case) and tried the second solution (that you posted) but still, nothing happened. I CAN connect in the internet using a cable. When the cable was pulled my Em355 CAN detect wireless networks but when i try to connect to any of those the box would only tell me that I was unable to connect there. Hope you can help me. Thanks :)

Have you checked the wireless network settings, such as password, SSID, encryption key and also check if you are given a dynamic IP or if it shows as a static IP ? It is best to check those if you have a cabled connection to the router, you are trying to connect to. If you do an ipconfig /all when you attempt the wireless, you should see an IP address, MAC address, subnet mask address and default gateway. If you can't connect it's quite possible that windows will assign an IP address on it's own. You will know this is the case if the IP start with 169 and the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0. In such case, try repair or in a command prompt type ipconfig /renew ... If that doesn't work, type ipconfig /release followed by pressing enter. When prompt shows the cursor again type ipconfig /new which should assign a new IP address to you.

Let us know, but do not invite to hacking attempts by providing IP's.

Enjoy,

Doxxxy

Doxxxy has a point that I didn't think of right off...lets flush your DNS cache:

Copy and paste these lines in Note pad.

@Echo onpushdwindowssystem32driversetcattrib -h -s -r hostsecho 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTSattrib +r +h +s hostspopdipconfig /releaseipconfig /renewipconfig /flushdnsnetsh winsock reset allnetsh int ip reset allshutdown -r -t 1del %0Save as flush.bat to your desktop.Double click on the flush.bat file to run it. Vista and Windows 7... right click the .bat file and choose to run as Administrator. Your computer will reboot itself.

Let us know what you discover.

:geezer: