Sign in to follow this  
girly

IEEE 1394 firewire

I have recently had an upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit windows 7 and now my old Sharp videocam is not being recognised by my editing program nor Movie Maker. I have changed the firewire card driver to a legacy and and have a new firewire cable and asked around other forums. I am told that 64 bit shouldn't make a difference ad others with old videocams say there's works ok using 64 bit.

My computer people are not much help because he says it's because it's 64 bi tand there are no Windows 7 drivers for this firewire but he doesn't use firewire or videocams so cannot help. I am using the same firewire card I had before the upgrade but it's not the camera which needs a driver surely it's the firewire. I am at a loss apart from buying a new videocam which I don't really want to do.

Any help appreciated

Can you give us some details on the firewire card - Make/ revision no.? Or is it on the motherboard (again make would be useful if this is the case).

I had no trouble with an old Cannon camcorder with firewire when I had W7 64bit installed.

Have a look in device manager; are there any yellow warning triangles if you expand the entries?

There are no warning triangles in device manager. The driver is OHCI Compliance Host Controller (Legacy).

I'm not sure if it's on the mainboard. I had a look inside but not sure, it's just in a white slot. I believe the board is Gigabyte GA-970A-D3

I'm not very technical with the inside or components.

Edited by girly

64 bit operating systems require 64 bit drivers. make sure you install the 64 bit version of the drivers.

Edited by badbinary

The GA-970A-D3 does not have a firewire port....it doesn't even have a firewire header on the mobo.

Do what Nigsy asked:

Can you give us some details on the firewire card - Make/ revision no

I'm not sure if it's on the mainboard. I had a look inside but not sure, it's just in a white slot.

That would be the PCI slot. You will need the brand name and model/revision number of that PCI firewire card in order to get the driver for it

Download and install this:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/Everest-Home-Edition.shtml

Run it and see what info it gives for the firewire card.

You have done the right thing as far as installing a legacy driver is concerned, it might be that you need a specific driver, rather than the generic legacy one provided with W7.

What's the model of the cam corder? Maybe we might be able to track the driver down from them?

It's VIA USB.20 firewire combo pci adaptor version 2.70 (Lite). I have the original box which had 2 adaptor cards in it, one with an internal bay and one without. I still have the internal bay card with cables and 2 usb ports, a firewire socket and a mini 1394 socket so it must be the other that's in the pc as mine has 2 usb ports and the firewire socket.. I have the setup disc and installed it but I don't think it was for this version of windows

My camera is old, Sharp VL V5H andSharp don't do camcorders now and I've tried to find a driver but no luck

This is what I got from Softpedia

Device Description
1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy) [NoDB]
Field Value
Bus / Device / Function 32 / 1 / 1

Field Value
Device ID 1106-3044
Field Value
Subsystem ID 1106-3044
Field Value
Revision 46
Edited by girly

Have a look here:

(Link removed)

If it's not there. We'll have to try something else!

Nigsy, your link gives me a Web Of Trust warning

You can try John Zhu's solution here (second post). It looks like it has helped some folks with the W7 firewire issue, You need to reinstall a legacy driver that W7 replaces

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/65cb7a25-2a84-4875-aa27-b084537e8da1

Nigsy, your link gives me a Web Of Trust warning

You can try John Zhu's solution here (second post). It looks like it has helped some folks with the W7 firewire issue, You need to reinstall a legacy driver that W7 replaces

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/65cb7a25-2a84-4875-aa27-b084537e8da1

Not getting any issues with the link my end (Chromium browser).

From the OP's post #3 she made it clear she had the legacy driver installed.

But I guess a second try wouldn't hurt.

(I'll remove my link)

Sorry if I sound a bit thick but is OHCI legacy driver I have installed for the PCI card I have (mentioned earlier) or do I need a new PCI card

<p>Not sure if the driver is the issue here. If you have got the legacy driver installed, it might be we need to find the software for the camcorder - or find an alternative way to hook it up.</p><p> </p><p>(Added)</p><p> </p><p>Looks like a dead end as far as drivers or software is concerned.</p><p> </p><p>I would try uninstalling the legacy driver and restarting the PC, letting W7 detect the card. </p><p>Attach the camcorder and see if it picks it up.</p><p>If not switch to the legacy driver (Instructions in Joes post), reboot an attached the camera.</p><p> </p><p>If that doesn't work could be you need to look at getting a capture card.</p><p>But I'd wait until anyone else responds.</p>

W7 installs it's own driver and it's not compatible with legacy devices. You can attempt to reinstall the default legacy driver and see if that will work, Follow this method to re-install the driver

The 1394 bus driver that is included with Windows 7 replaces the 1394 bus drivers that were included with earlier versions of Windows. See this site for details

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/connect/1394_Windows7.mspx

You can try the following steps to fix our issue, This solved my initial problems with a Maxtor III OneTouch drive.

1- Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the “Start Search” box and press Enter.
2- Expand the "IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers" node in the device tree on the right hand pane

3- Right click the host controller node select "Update driver software ..."

4- Select "Browse my computer for driver software"

5- Select "let me pick from a list of device driver on my computer ..." and Check the box before “Show compatible hardware”.

6. Choose the second option---1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy), and click next to update the driver.

I hope this can help you.

John Zhu

If that does not work, you can still try installing your driver you have on disk by using the compatibility mode, I suggest that you dis-able your antivirus and also try running it in administrator mode too, it might install and be usable. You may have to get another card, but if you read the link I posted, there seems to be a big issue with firewire and Windows 7

I already have the legacy driver. The driver on my disc is not for windows 7 (so it says on the box) but it worked in my pc before it was changed to 64 bit.

I have read all then issues regardiing firewire and windows 7 but there must be something as some people have 64 bit and their videocams work ok. There must be a pci card out there somewhere or do I have to buy a new videocam

You may have to get another card, but if you read the link I posted, there seems to be a big issue with firewire and Windows 7

Think the problem is with M$, they've been trying to kill it off ever since it was introduced, now USB3 is out they have no reason to offer support.

I may get the one from Dabs but am worried my videocam won't work with this one either - anyway I'll be no worse off apart from the price of the card. Thanks

Could I fit this myself? I've looked at the one in my pc but not sure how to get it out

Edited by girly

Really easy to fit:

• Make sure the PC is off and disconected
  • If you have an anti static wristband use it - if not make sure you are 'grounded'.
  • Your current card should be held in with a single screw.
  • Undo the screw and gently pull the old card out
  • Slot the new card in - make sure it's seated tight (don't be afraid to use some pressure)
  • Put the retaining screw back on
  • Power up and boot.

Little tutorial here.

Thanks, I've ordered one from Dabs. When I get the old one out (hopefully) will the usb/fireports come with it so I can fit the new ones. I've fitted memory chips before so it can't be all that different. Will it find its own driver or should there be a disc with the card

Edited by girly

The card is W7 64bit compatible so I would just boot it up and let windows find it's own driver.

You may have an internal firewire connected on the old card, be sure to unplug that as well (It will be a cable from the old card)

Thanks I hope this work, will post back. Card not been delivered yet.

Iinstalled a new PCI card today and the drivers loaded but it's made no difference, still cannot use videocam

Edited by girly