Having trouble making Panasonic Blu-ray player update CD

Hi. I have a year old Panasonic Blu-ray player, model DMP-DB65. I had problems playing a recent Blu-ray movie from a Redbox and went to the Panasonic site and downloaded the update for my player to my desktop like they said to do. For some reason, when I tried to send it to my CD burner to make the update CD, it opens in Wordpad and I see a long page of bizarre letters and figures. When I load a disc I made with it in the player, I get a message that says "This disc is incompatible". I still have the shortcut for it on my desktop. It says PANA_DVD. What can I do to make a proper update CD? Thanks for any help.

Edited by jcritchie

Ensure that the PANA_DVD.FRM file is on the desktop, rather than a shortcut to the file.

Don't use the Windows CD burning functions to create the disc. Instead, use your current authoring program. If nothing of that nature is present, install ImgBurn, and be sure to unselect all the Ask.com options.

[ EDIT : forgot the link — www.imgburn.com ]

Regardless of which software you use, you must elect to create a standard data disc ("Write files/folders" in ImgBurn) using the ISO9660 file system (no Juliet or UFD). Don't attempt to open PANA_DVD.FRM, just select the file to burn from within the program (most programs allow you to drag&drop the file into the selection pane).

Edited by TomGL2

Make sure you are creating an ISO not just copying the files across.

That's incorrect. PANA_DVD.FRM isn't an image, and must be written as a normal file in ISO9660 (CDFS).

Edited by TomGL2

That's incorrect. PANA_DVD.FRM isn't an image, and must be written as a normal file in ISO9660 (CDFS).

Apologies...just scanned through the link I provided and saw ISO mentioned. Yep. follow the instructions in the link or as Tom as stated.

I made a disc and when it went in, the LED on the player said "Bye" and then flashed "LFVU" over and over. Then it said "Eject Disc" and the disc came out. Does this mean my player is updated?

Edited by jcritchie

I made a disc and when it went in, the LED on the player said "Bye" and then flashed "LFVU" over and over. Then it said "Eject Disc" and the disc came out. Does this mean my player is updated?

To determine the installed firmware version, follow Panasonic's instructions. The current version is 1.62.

1) Press the [POWER] button on the player to turn it ON.

2) Press the [FUNCTION MENU] button on the remote control to display the player’s

FUNCTION MENU, this step is only necessary if there is a disc in the Blu-ray player.

3) Using the [DOWN ARROW] on the remote control, highlight OTHER FUNCTIONS and

then press [OK].

4) Press [OK] again when SETUP is highlighted.

5) Using the [uP ARROW] or [DOWN ARROW] on the remote control, highlight OTHERS

and then press [OK].

6) Using the [uP ARROW] or [DOWN ARROW] on the remote control, highlight

SYSTEM INFORMATION and then press [OK].

Edited by TomGL2