Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

The future is Linux.

I have been saying since I first joined this forum in 2000 that Linux was the future of computing. With the world of computing shifting from the desktop to embedded devices the future is now!

Linux is installed on more embedded devices from the factory then any other single operating system. Developers are going even further stating that is where they are focused.

Recent surveys indicate that 50% of embedded developers are using Linux in one way shape or form, with Android pulling in 16%. I believe the numbers are skewed to the low side, for instance they separate Android from "Linux" which is a mistake because after all Android is running a custom "Linux" kernel, therefor Android is Linux..

That would take the 50% number and turn it into 66%

http://linuxgizmos.com/embedded-developers-prefer-linux-love-android/

Interesting to note that Apple is nowhere in there and Windows has 9%.

With the shift to tablets, smart phones, steam making a console, smart TV's and on and on, it is obvious where the market is headed and who will be the winners.

Microsoft has been behind the times and has had their head in the proverbial sand for a decade, and simply won't survive if this trend continues.

What do you guys think?

the windows os might fade away eventually but microsoft will definitely survive because they make money on nearly every mobile linux device sold anyway.

think i read somewhere microsoft made more money from the linux mobile market in 2011/12 than it did from all it's software home and business sales added together.

:b33r:

I am talking about operating systems and their dominance Terry. Not whether a company will survive because of law suits and restrictive patents :lol:

SCO was a perfect example of how long that method works :P

the windows os might fade away eventually

but not in the near future in my opinion. ;)

why'd you think ms just "loaned" dell $2 billion. :mrgreen:

Because Dell is floundering! Because Microsoft is trying to keep one of their largest garbage peddlers (sellers) artificially afloat.

Dell was in serious trouble before the release of win 8, and with that release was likely looking at going under. That may still be a possibility.

my point exactly, dell will probably now become a private company still making pc's/mobile devices which will be guaranteed business for microsofts windows operating systems, so don't expect to see the windows os disappear in the near future, no matter how popular linux becomes.

not sure if this is true or not but think it is, from 2014 microsoft will be selling office for the linux os.

I don't expect windows to disappear :lol:

That would foolish. Just as foolish as the people who used to say and still say that Linux is just a hobbyist OS.

Or the ones who way back in 2000 when I first came here who said it will never get further than a small user base.

As I look at my office............two tablets running Linux. two cell phones running Linux, a router running Linux, three desktop PC's and one laptop running Linux, a modem running Linux, DVR running Linux, DVD player running Linux, my next television will have embedded Linux.

Edited by Bruce

I've been on the Linux bandwagon for a while and agree with the OP.

My complaint about Linux and, why I think it has not gone further in the home PC market, is that it is not user friendly enough for the average non geek PC user to install and use it without feeling like they are in college again cracking down for a test in a subject they don't really like. The learning curve for installation and setup tasks that should be rather simple is just too steep.

lets not forget the efforts google is putting behind chrome os.

the mobile and embedded market is clearly being dominated by linux, but when will linux make the same strides for workstations (desktops / laptops)? if google can put the same weight behind chrome they did with android, it may be sooner rather than later, but we'll have to see.

regardless, linux coming into prominence is good for everyone. it provides real competition and forces microsoft (eventually) to take their crap seriously.

Linux is making huge strides in the workstation market. In fact in Europe and other countries it is growing rapidly. The US market is lagging behind, just like it is lagging in most modern technologies. I know many people think we here in the US are on the cutting edge, but reallity is we are behind and falling further behind each year.

As for Linux being "difficult" on the desktop, I disagree, in fact I find it far easier to install, set up and maintain then any other operating system. Ease of use is not a matter of making a windows clone that people who wish to "jump on a bandwagon" should try. It is a different operating system, not difficult just different. It is rather sad that most people were/are forced into using the same old interface for 2 decades and have barely learned the basics of that interface, can't adapt to anything else without thinking it to be difficult.

I personally think it very easy to pop a disk in the computer install and use the system, rather then install, reboot 4 times, locate multiple drivers for basic hardware that should work out of the gate but doesn't, then locate and install two or three third party apps to "protect" the computer from it's user aka virus/malware protection, install updates reboot thirteen more times with fingers crossed that nothing breaks, then hunt down and grab a few more apps, pay for many more, install them all, then disk clean up, then defrag, then wash rinse repeat..............and on and on. There just ain't nothing easy about all that, it is annoying, tiresome, repetitive. Of course it is that repetativeness, of doing those things over and over and over again that makes people think it is "easy" to use, when in fact it is not only easy to use but takes time, and is counter productive.

Me personally I install my systems and start using them immediately. Updates are done all at once, require no reboots unless a new kernel is installed. Simply put the ease of use issue is a win win with Linux systems.

Always amazes me that people will spend hours, days learning how to use a new phone, DVD player, tablet, game, or even a new toaster :lol: But put a different computer operating system in front of them and they go into panic mode :rofl3:

One of the dumbest comments of the past, Steve Balmer himself stated "It doesn't even have a keyboard" Then laughs at the Iphone.

I'm firmly on the Linux bandwagon. The only thing I'm worried about is if the companies stop making PCs.

I don't have a smartphone, and I don't ever intend to own one.(Didn't even own a simple flip phone until about a year ago.) Damn things are too little, I like to read from a PC screen (and on another sort of topic, I don't want a Kindle or whatever, I read books - but that's for another story).

I just want to always be able to come home to my desktop PC and do whatever I do with it.

If PCs become obsolete, then you won't see me in any forum any more.

I don't think desktops will be obsolete for a while.

From a builder point of view things could be changing....there is a move towards integrated components, so the motherboard would come fitted with the CPU and integrated ram with no option to swap out or upgrade...onboard video, and sound again integrated but no PCI or limited slots for expansion.

This gives cheaper manufacturing costs - one chip, one board approach, so an i7 chip would only be available in one flavour and integrated into specific boards.

I still think it's a way off yet though.

I don't think desktops will be obsolete for a while.

From a builder point of view things could be changing....there is a move towards integrated components, so the motherboard would come fitted with the CPU and integrated ram with no option to swap out or upgrade...onboard video, and sound again integrated but no PCI or limited slots for expansion.

This gives cheaper manufacturing costs - one chip, one board approach, so an i7 chip would only be available in one flavour and integrated into specific boards.

I still think it's a way off yet though.

Well we've already had that Nigel...remember when CPU's used to be soldered to the mobo and memory was something that was onboard but you had a stick like RAM that wasn't that you could add on?? Sounds to me like we're coming around "full circle". ;)

:geezer:

i'm not so sure of that...there's too much money in proprietary software and companies like microsoft, hp, and dell are very large and powerful. linux is so prominent in the mobile market thanks to google getting into the game early with android, but there is a very large divide between mobile and desktop right now.

That divide is getting narrower and narrower all the time BB. Ten years ago I was saying that Linux would be everywhere because of it's ability to be adapted easily and freely to anything without companies needing to reinvent the wheel, and without paying ransom fees to monopolies. In another ten years if the desktop market will not even resemble what we know as desktops and the transformation to whatever it will be, will certainly be because of different operating system solutions. Whether that is Linux or not remains to be seen.

main thing that makes a desktop is keyboard for easy data entry and large screen with lots of visual space for the things your working on, i can't see things changing that much in those 2 respects anytime soon,

yes in future i agree you won't have a big box on the floor next to you and the processor/pc itself will probably be built into one device or another, a mobile phone say, which could be connected to a bigger screen for a tablet type device or plugged into an even bigger screen with a keyboard for a desktop type device but the desktop setup will still be the number one choice where any real work is concerned in my opinion.

Edited by terry1966

I think the premise of believing that the desktop is fading away is a bit presumtuious. Everyone that I know , who also have tablets and IPhones still depend on their desktop computers at home. And most still are using Windows XP because they have gotten so very use to it and over time have learned what to use for protection. I personally am never going to stop using XP because, for what I like to do (a lot of multimedia stuff) it works just fine. I have an older eMachine (about 3 years old) that I am going to install Windows 98SE on.. The was the first OS I started with and I want to see how it will perform with tons of ram and a truly faster dual core Intell processor as oipposed to the single core processors of that time that were still prolific on the market. I like Windows XP. Hated Vista, fine & a pain in the a## and have not seem 8 but I am not losing sleep over it. Linux is great but it is too complicated for the occasional home pc user. Unless it is packaged to look and run likw any of the Windows pre 2009 , it will never be a recognized Hme operating system.

I don't know terry. I can plug a screen and keyboard into my laptop, but a desktop that does not make.

If I had to make a definition of desktop, think I would add something about the trade off of energy and heat for power, speed, and storage.

don't forget we're talking about in the future, where you'll get just as much processing power as today's high end desktop in a much smaller device.

and to be honest if you had a high end laptop even today and just plugged in a keyboard, mouse big screen most users wouldn't see a difference from their normal desktop pc setup.

bit of old news but i see ms is blaming the pc makers for win8's failure to sell too. :laughing:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/24/windows_8_blame_game/

Edited by terry1966

Linux is and will continue to be the main OS in "Behind the scenes" kind of systems. I don't think it will become very popular, Eg. Ubuntu mobile wont overtake iOS etc.

Reports show that by 2020 Windows will be down to %15 - 20 of the market leaving OSX on top and other up coming OS'es just behind

It seems to be the future is held in Apple, Google (Chrome OS) and new up coming OS'es and not windows. Although the up coming OS'es may be a linux distro (or kennel like OSX).

It may be that tablets are on top (wich is likely) and Apple does have a good hold on that market (And Google second) . Or desktops where Apple and Google will have a good hold of the market.

So it looks like Google and Apple or new OS'es will be on top in say 30 years...

Edited by David Sellars

Welcome to The Pit David Sellars!!

As my friend Y kawika says...Post when you want, help when you can...

:geezer: