Change Mode

My computer has suddenly started doing weird things and I have no clue what could be wrong. I have Windows 7 and use Firefox all the time unless I am forced to use IE when Firefox won't work for a ssite.

I am now getting an error message that says"WerFault.exe application error. The instruction at 0x74518918 (or it might be Ox74518918) referenced memory at 0x74518918 (or it might be Ox74518918). The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of Oxc00000b5."

I get this error message whenever I try to do something, like paste into Notepad, update my browser, ......almost anything.

It comes up and when I close it, it comes up again although I'm not sure ot says exactly the same thing as far as the numbers it shows.

My computer has been running really slow lately at times and it is very hard to start my computer if I shut it off so I just use the 'Sleep' options.

I have asolutely no idea what is wrong. I tried running your tests and can't sign into PcPitstop.....but it has been a while since I have come here for help. I tried doing them anonomously and they would not run. I tried cleaning out temp files, etc. like you suggest but it would not do it.

What could this be?

Thank you.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's "Zero X" preceding the error code and addresses.

The error code C00000B5 means the write operation took too long and was discarded. Since writing to RAM takes only microseconds, I'd say it's a write to an address that directs to the paging file on the hard disk, which suggests a disk problem. Perform a disk error scan and repair.

windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows7/check-a-drive-for-errors

If all existing errors were repairable but the problem isn't resolved, obtain the disk manufacturer's diagnostic utility to test the hardware.

If the hard disk appears okay, a virus may be present, so performing scans using two or more online services would be warranted. The fault may lie in Windows Error Reporting itself, of which WerFault is a component, and disabling error reporting would be a useful check (Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Problem Reports and Solutions).

Edited by TomGL2

Thank you for helping me.

Before coming here to the forum I ran several virus programs like Superantispyware, housecall, etc. All that was found were tracking cookies which they removed.

I tried doing the disk error scan and repair that you suggested and just got those same error messages, or similar. I'm not sure they were the exact same 'numbers'. It was asking me for a password but I have no idea what my password would be. I tried everything I could think of but none of them worked.

So I tried starting my computer again and now it won't even start up. "Startup Repair" comes up as soon as I turn on my computer. It took a while to run but I let it run until it was finished.

This is what it said it found -

"Root cause found:

System Disk = DeviceHarddisk0

Windows directory = D:Windows

AutoChk Run = 0

Number of root causes = 1

Root Cause found:

Boot critical file d:WindowsSystem 32ntkrnlpa.exe (or ntkmlpa.exe?) is corrupt.

Any idea what that means? I did not even know I had a D drive on my computer...

(I am now having to use my husband''s computer to come here to the forum.)

I ran several virus programs like Superantispyware, housecall

SuperAntiSpyware is a fine program that does not detect viruses. I had in mind the Panda, Symantec, and similar online scanners.

Power up the computer and begin tapping F8 before Windows begins to load. The Advanced Startup Options menu should appear. Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Log on to an account with administrator's rights.

[ NOTE 1: If this doesn't work, insert a Windows 7 DVD and restart or power up the computer. Press a key when the "boot from CD" message appears. If you don't see this message, you may need to press a particular key immediately after powerup to invoke the device boot menu. Or, it may be necessary to alter the boot sequence in the computer's BIOS. In either case, we'd need the computer make and exact model to provide specific instructions (you should provide this information anyway). ]

[ NOTE 2: If you don't have access to a Windows 7 DVD, it's possible to create a Windows 7 system repair CD using a downloaded ISO file as a disc image. Visit maximumpcguides.com/windows-7/create-a-windows-7-system-repair-disc and look for the download links about 1/4 to 1/3 down the page. Ask for help if needed to burn the disc image. ]

If you boot from a Windows 7 DVD or startup repair CD — After making the initial selections, choose Repair My Computer, then choose Use Recovery Tools. A startup repair scan may start (wait until it's done), and you may be prompted to use System Restore (click Cancel). Click View Advanced Options, then Command Prompt.

To check the disk for errors and attemps repairs, type

ChkDsk C: /R

and press Enter. When done, type

ChkDsk D: /R

and press Enter. Be aware that these scans typically take a LONG time for a large disk, and it's essential to allow them to finish.

It is entirely possible that viruses or a rootkit or both are present. The best method for dealing with those is to boot from a CD containing a good antivirus program. The Kaspersky Rescue Disk is a good example and works very well.

Edited by TomGL2

There's usually a label (not the Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity, that's just the Windows installation), located on the bottom of laptops, and at the rear or side of desktops.

Let me emphasize that you can ask for additional help with any or all of the above steps. If you need help burning an ISO file to make a CD, mention the name and version of the CD/DVD burning software.

Edited by TomGL2

I do have a Windows 7 DVD that came with the computer so I am doing that because the Safe Mode with Command prompt didn't work.

It seems to have gone through the first part (ChkDsk C: /R) fairly quickly but the second part is taking much longer (ChkDsk D: /R). It seems to be doing something called "CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal" for almost an hour now. The underline thing is just blinking.

The first part ended with this comment "Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50."

I found my paperwork for my computer and it says this on the order form -

"Dell refurbished GX740 Desktop PC with AMD Athlon X2 Processing 4GB Memory 1TB Hard Drive and Windows 7 Professional".

If this is not the information you need, I will have to have my husband lift and look at the computer tomorrow.....I can't lift it off the shelf.

I do have a Windows 7 DVD

Dell refurbished GX740

Good to both. A 1TB (1,000 GB) hard disk will probably take several hours to process. For now, turn off the monitor. In the morning, turn it on again to see if ChkDsk has finished.

I think the hard disk has been divided into two drives, one that contains Windows and your data, and a second hidden drive, which contains system recovery programs and data. When booting from the DVD, the drive letters may well be the reverse of what you see when Windows is running.

Edited by TomGL2

Hi, I let the scan run overnight and it ended with the same thing the first part of the scan did......

It says, "Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50.". Then after that it shows "X:Sources_" and the underline is blinking.

What do I do now?

Oh dear, I think I made a big mistake! I closed the scan and shut off my computer because I went away for a while. Now, the scan won't run again.

When I turn on my computer now, and press a key when the 'boot from CD' comes up, I can only get as far as Repair My Computer. When I click on that button....................nothing. Just a blue screen with some squiggles, a little white bird with a green branch.

Have I destroyed my computer??!!!! Oh, I hope not!!!! I have several years worth of photo albums and genealogy work on this hard drive. Much of it is backed up on a flash drive, but not the most recent stuff.

I think we should abandon the repair effort for now and concentrate on backing up the data, in view of its importance. To that end, I'll find a "Live Linux" version with which you can access the hard disk in order to copy the file to a fast USB flash drive, or to an external hard disk if one is handy.

I don't believe you're at all responsible for the present condition of the computer, but it clearly is getting worse, so accessing the data should be the priority.

Edited by TomGL2

Thank you. The data is extremely important to me.

This refurbished computer was only purchased back in July 2012......of course it ran ok until the short warrantee expired.....sigh. It only had a 30 day warrantee. But a new computer is out of price range for me. I still hope we can fix this one. I reallly need a hue hard drive because I do so many different activities online.........family photo albums, genealogy, ebay sales, my husband's ministry web site, etc etc etc. Most is backed up but not the most recent MAJOR changes to the albums.

I will wait for you to send me whatever it is that I need.

The gentleman who was helping me is not able to continue right now and is going to try to find someone to continue helping me get the data off my hard drive. I appreciate what he has been doing and hopefully someone will be able to help me soon. This is a great forum.

This method should work for you.

Download the SliTaz Live CD ISO file (35MB) from www.slitaz.org/en/get/#stable. Burn a CD using the ISO as a disc image (simply writing the file to a standard data CD will not work).

Insert a flash drive with sufficient free space, and insert the SliTaz CD, into the problem computer. Power up and boot from the CD.

At each of the prompts, press Enter to accept the defaults. Or, if needed, select an alternate language or keyboard layout.

If the desktop isn't clear (pixelated) when it appears, click Applications at the lower-left, point to Preferences, and click Monitor Settings. At the right, select the 60Hz refresh rate, then click Apply.

Right-click the desktop, point to Favorite Applications, and click File Manager. Repeat this to open a second copy.

Open the system drive (containing Windows) in one window, and open your flash drive in the other window. Copy & paste files and folders using the usual methods (right-click and click Copy or Paste).

When done, click Log Out at the upper-right, select the shutdown option and click OK.

Edited by TomGL2

Welcome back, I hope you are feeling much better!

I don't understand part of your instructions......"Burn a CD using the ISO as a disc image (simply writing the file to a standard data CD will not work)."

What is a 'disk image'? How do I 'burn' it and 'use' it? I've never heard this term before.

After I get the CD made and power up the problem computer, will it automatically 'boot up' from this CD, or do I need to 'do something/press something' to make the computer do that? I'm not too well-versed on how computers operate, sorry.

I do understand the rest of your instructions, but I am going to have to use several cd's or dvd's to get all my data since I don't have a flash drive big enough to hold it all. I only have a 64GB and it isn't big enough. I had tried in the past to save 'everything on it and it wouldn't hold it all.

Hmmm, I might have a problem though. I just looked at my computer and it only has "1" slot, so it looks like I cannot use the CD "and" a DVD at the same time. When I bought this computer last July, it did say it had capability of /cD and DVD's, but I guess not both at the same time. I might have to go to a store and get several flash dirives or something.

I don't understand part of your instructions......"Burn a CD using the ISO as a disc image..."

An ISO file is essentially an exact copy of a CD or DVD. Burning a disk image to create a CD is analogous to using a film negative to create a picture on photographic paper (as "anoldlady", I suspect you're familiar with these archaic terms...).

The exacts steps used to burn a disc image depends on which program you're using, i.e., Roxio, Nero, etc. In Nero Express, for example, click "Disc Image" at the main menu; in Nero Burning Rom, cancel New Compilation if it appears, then click Recorder and Burn Image. In Roxio, click Data/Copy, Burn Data Disc, and Burn Disc Image.

I suggest using a CD-RW, which can be reused if any problems occur.

will it automatically 'boot up' from this CD, or do I need to 'do something/press something' to make the computer do that?

Boot from the CD using the same method that allowed booting form the Windows DVD, but you won't see a "Press any key..." prompt.

I am going to have to use several cd's or dvd's to get all my data since I don't have a flash drive big enough

One method is to copy as many files and folders as possible, then unplug the flash drive. Plug it into another computer and move the rescued files to a folder on that system. Then, plug the flash drive into the problem computer again and repeat the process as needed.

I might have to go to a store and get several flash dirives

Better to get one external USB hard disk, which dollar-for dollar has much greater capacity.

I just looked at my computer and it only has "1" slot, so it looks like I cannot use the CD "and" a DVD at the same time.

The system will boot from the CD placed in the DVD drive; you don't need a CD drive for that task.

Edited by TomGL2

I am indeed an old lady, a geezer, but archaic?.......LOL. That one really made me laugh! (In fact, I actually DO have many of those archaic film negatives...along with our old family albums that I am working on preserving digitally)

I've encountered another problem. It seems tha neither my husband's laptop nor his desktop has the ability to burn that file as an image. I can't find nything like that on his computers. And I don't think I had it on mine either. I've only created a few DVDs/CDs, but I always just used the Drag and Drop method to create them.

I guess I will need to find someone who has one of those programs you mentioned on their computer to creat a CD for me. There's no other option, right?

You can use ImgBurn to burn the .iso file to cd. http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=4870&file=15&evp=0636b68877cb69b15faa3374cb1dcd89

In ImgBurn E-Z Mode click here to start

Posted Image

In the next window click the little magnifying glass here, then select the .iso file to burn

Posted Image

After you've selected the .iso file to burn you'll want to click the arrow here to burn to disc (make sure you have a cd or dvd in the tray)

Posted Image

:geezer:

neither my husband's laptop nor his desktop has the ability to burn that file as an image. I can't find nything like that on his computers. And I don't think I had it on mine either. I've only created a few DVDs/CDs, but I always just used the Drag and Drop method to create them

I guess I will need to find someone who has one of those programs you mentioned.

There are multiple options, many of which are free, and some even have "ISO" in the product name. ImgBurn, caintry_boy's recommendation, does the job well and quickly.

Open the folder containing slitaz-4.0.iso. Launch the ImgBurn program and click "Write image file to disc". Left-click slitaz-4.0.iso, and while keeping the mouse button pressed, drag the file into the Source area of the ImgBurn window, then release the button. Insert a CD-RW or CD-R, then click the big "Write" button. The entire write and verify process should take only a minute or so.

Edited by TomGL2

Thank you. I was able to burn the file as an iamge and hopfully it will work. I need to go to the store and get some kind of external drive to put my data on from my problem computer. The flash drive I have is full and I do not have another computer to transfer it to so I can re-use the flash drive. I tried transferring it to DVDs and it was just too frustrating on my husband's computer.......so I'm going to get an external drive. I will be coiming back here soon.

Well, I went to the store and got another flash drive (hubby said external hard drive too expensive) and I tried starting my problem computer with the ISO disk that I had created, but it seems to be 'stuck'.

It put up a lot of info and got to a point that says "Sending discover..." and all it is doing now is sitting there with the 'underscore' blinking. It's been doing that for over 15 minutes........

What do I do now?

I turned my computer off and started it again. This time it did something totally different. It loaded stuff very fast, and I had to select my language and keyborad setup and then it gave me a message that says "Cannot display this video mode"

Now what do I do?