Sign in to follow this  
JustinP526

Yahoo webmail

i just want to be clear on something: guessing your password is not hacking. the word "hacking" is probably the most misused word on the internet.

of course it's hacking. :rofl3:

hacking is exploiting "any" weakness on a pc, and if that happens to be your password then that's all well and good, if not then it's time to try and "trick" the os to do something it shouldn't really do to allow access to what they're after.

and they don't just miraculously "guess" someone's password they brute force them using computers, which is something the sites should protect you against.

anyway the yahoo problem wasn't passwords, it was an xss exploit that they knew about and said they'd fixed and hadn't.

:b33r:

you should always be using strong passwords tho and thought this page might help someone understand and create themselves a strong password in future. (think it was bb that posted it the first time i saw it.)

i suggest you read it all, most of the best info is way below where you can play around with seeing exactly how many trillions of years it will take to break the passwords you enter. :rofl3:

Which of the following two passwords is stronger,

more secure, and more difficult to crack?

D0g.....................

PrXyc.N(n4k77#L!eVdAfp9

You probably know this is a trick question, but the answer is: Despite the fact that the first password is HUGELY easier to use and more memorable, it is also the stronger of the two! In fact, since it is one character longer and contains uppercase, lowercase, a number and special characters, that first password would take an attacker approximately 95 times longer to find by searching than the second impossible-to-remember-or-type password!

https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm

Edited by terry1966

Well, I think I'm okay now but I do wonder if I have been blocked by some of my contacts or maybe their e-mail server blocked me. I still can't send e-mail to them. :mrsgreen:

Well, I think I'm okay now but I do wonder if I have been blocked by some of my contacts or maybe their e-mail server blocked me. I still can't send e-mail to them. :mrsgreen:

Very possible. You may want to try and contact them in another fashion and make amends to see if they've blocked you. ;)

:geezer:

In my post of the 12th March I referred to a "much respected name in computing". It was in fact Bill Pytlovany who made those comments when he replied to my emails to him.

He's since linked me to this article of his: http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/2013/02/banking-system-fails-due-to-security.html

It's well worth reading in my humble opinion - there's some very sound advice there for your 'average man in the street' PC user.

So, it seems that users in the USA, New Zealand & the UK were all hit around the same time.

Here's an article that is a 'must read' for everyone affected by Yahoo's failure: http://www.iitp.org.nz/newsletter/article/414.

It even mentions how the dirty deed was done and how much the hacker (yes, badbinary - hacker) was paid.

badbinary - will you now concede that you were wrong. This Yahoo debacle was NOT the fault of users - it was Yahoo's.