Sign in to follow this  
dianamite

Linksys vs. Time Warner for wifi....

I have an appt for Time Warner to come out and upgrade the modem. They are providing a free wifi with the service level I am going to. Anyone see any problems with going ahead and having the wifi thru TWC?

no. all it is is a wireless router with modem together in one box instead of the normal separate modem and you supply the router.

you have control of it just like you would your own wireless router and can set it up however you wish.

i actually have this with time warner, myself, and it works very well.

Edited by badbinary

You actually don't have the same control over the router as you would your own. Just for starters you are not able to flash a custom firmware to it. Combo units also make for more difficult troubleshooting should problems arise. A load of people will tell you to go on ahead and use it, it's just 1 box vs 2, or it's so much better.

Personally wouldn't touch one of the combo units if they paid me to take it. And on my provider, I'm actually saving myself the equipment rental fee.

They said no increase in equipment fee, since I already have a modem.

Thank you both for opinions and advice!!

Edited by dianamite

Combo units also make for more difficult troubleshooting should problems arise.

how??

in my opinion it's just as simple to narrow any problems down to wifi or lan port or line connection on a combined unit as separate units.

Just for starters you are not able to flash a custom firmware to it.

not sure if that statement is correct either, depends on make/model i believe.

And on my provider, I'm actually saving myself the equipment rental fee.

now that's a reason i can understand, and agree with, but at least over here in the uk, we don't pay a rental fee for the router/modem/wifi unit it is usually thrown in free as part of the broadband contract.

:b33r:

no probs dianamite, your new router will work just fine i'm sure.

things like custom roms are not really something most uses need to worry about anyway, tho they can give slightly better wifi performance at times.

security wise your provider will keep the router/modem/wifi units firmware updated with any patches that may come out for it.

doesn't matter if you have no need for wifi access yet, it is always nice to have the option available for later on, especially seeing how it's going to be a free option for you anyway.

Edited by terry1966

I suppose from your point of view you'd be correct. It's either the one box that is bad, or the line coming in. I say they are more difficult to work with and troubleshoot from experience on another forum dedicated to helping broadband users, users on my provider are who I mainly try to assist. The vast majority of combo units are lagging behind in the stock firmware (i.e., no bug fixes, lots of random crashes and reboots) and the stats pages are either not as informative, or simply not accessible. Until recently, the feature sets were also lagging behind the retail market since combo units are usually ISP branded causing a delay in release. Docsis3 units were actually still rare to get ahold of. Same for MTUs though we've actually started seeing a few in the wild. Then there is also the simple fact that if you need an actually powerful router, these combo units just won't cut it. Nor can you mod the unit itself for active cooling since you don't actually own it. Atleast in the states, you can't modify the firmware on any cable modem legally. On my provider the rental for for just a basic modem is $6/month and add more for wifi.Edit>> Also, the ISP doesn't really need to push updated firmware for the router portion (and a lot don't), they only really need to push images for the modem. But if you watch version numbers, a LOAD of modems will run on the same firmware for multiple years.... not really a good sign when you're hoping for a bug fix here or there.

Second edit>> Custom firmware is actually something users SHOULD be interested in for their routers. They go WAY beyond only providing slightly better wifi performance at times. Does your stock firmware allow you to run a bit torrent client AND server at the same time as hosting a publicly available FTP server and an internal file and media server? Will your firmware allow you to create a multiple AP mesh network that is roamable with no user interaction? Custom firmwares also provide far more stability, resource monitoring (ram and cpu, not just basic bandwidth), basically almost anything you can imagine. And yes, I have done these said examples personally

Edited by wdeydwondrer

i had a long post written in response to each and every one of your points, especially questioning some of your statements but lost it.

now all i'll say is, a router/modem/wifi unit provided by your isp is MORE than adequate for the job it's meant to do, at the speeds your paying for.

the rest of the things your talking about are mostly just modders playing around, fun agreed, but totally not needed for the average user.

Does your stock firmware allow you to run a bit torrent client AND server at the same time as hosting a publicly available FTP server and an internal file and media server?

no, i use my pc for all of that, except the bit torrent anyway. :mrgreen:

Edited by terry1966

Remembering why I left the pit the first time >.>

OP asked a question, I tried to provide an answer based on my experience.

Remembering why I left the pit the first time >.>

sorry, i didn't mean to upset you.

smile it makes the day better. :P

OP asked a question, I tried to provide an answer based on my experience.

absolutely nothing wrong with that, and i'm sure dianamite appreciates you spending your time to share that experience too. :tup:

it's just i had a question or two about what you said based on my experience, and to be honest most of the things you've mentioned aren't relevant anyway to the average user, even techy types rarely if ever need to mod their modem/router/wifi.

the question was

Anyone see any problems with going ahead and having the wifi thru TWC?

and the short answer would be no.

bottom line is this: would someone who would flash the router with custom firmware be coming here for advice? no

I have NO idea what *flash the router* even means!! But I do appreciate each and EVERY reply to my question (or even to other people's questions) BECAUSE If you do not hear every side to a question, it is much more difficult to make the answer and solution your own. .. especially when the answer is not a hard and fast either or.

Kudos to all who answer and help others :)