Sign in to follow this  
Myles S

Web browsers not connecting to pages - possible virus block?

Hi, yesterday both Firefox and then IE started acting strange and would not load webpages that I was trying to view. They just stayed in limbo with the egg timer constantly swirling around - it was almost like there was no connection. However, when putting something into the search bar of the browser it would reveal the results page, but when you try to click on one of the results, the same constant loading of the page occurred.

Today it very briefly loaded a page but then when I wanted to surf around on the selected website it again stayed in constant loading.

I am running Kaspersky Internet Security 2013, done a full scan and it says everything is clean. Thinking it might be an internet problem I plugged the modem into my laptop and everything runs fine and webpages load quickly - so it can't be a connection problem.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Kind regards

Myles

More info would be helpful Myles...Is this a desktop or laptop? What O/S?

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop. Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location and post the results in your next post...

:geezer:

Hi

Thanks for the advice. I did what you said and got Malware Bytes' anti-malware scanner on the job and sure enough it found 6 malware infections! These are now removed (but I forgot the save the log - I was doing it late at night).

The strange thing was my Kaspersky 2013 Internet Security found nothing, which makes me wonder if something has 'got at it'? It is unable to update at the moment and I have contacted the Kaspersky Support line to see if they know what may be causing this.

Oh yes, I'm using a Dell Dimension 3100 with Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Regards

Open Malwarebytes and click on the "Logs" tab and select the log from your scan then "View"; it will open in Notepad and you can copy/paste the contents in your next post.

:geezer: