Change Mode

cannot overclock :(

hello all. so basiclly i would like to try and overclock my cpu from 3.2ghz to about 3.4 maybe 3.6 but each way i try this is always resets back to the orginal setting of 3.2. now i did have a faulty mobo and got a replacment. could that be the case. was thinking maybe i need to just pop the mobo batt out and back in. i also cannot get into the bios everytime i try the pc hangs and just stays at the mobo welcome screen. iv also tried using 3rd party programmes such as amd over drive and as rock extreme utility.

my parts:

mobo: asrock extreme 3

cpu: amd phenom 2 x4

ram: 8GB

any help would be greatful

alex.

If the settings won't boot, then it will default to the factory settings in some cases.... is this a "black edition" unlocked cpu???

If not the only means of overclocking is to increase the bus speed, many newer boards will not even post past 110mhz on the bus, and if they do they aren't stable, if you have an older board (I'm not sure if the extreme3 is only made on 970/990 chipsets or if they did those boards on 7/8 series too).

You may need more voltage, you may have a divider issue with memory. Could be anything. Can you load up a CPU-Z screenie?

when i overclock i just change the multiplyer to like x17.5 that takes it to about 3.6ghz and also the nb volts how do i upload a pic.. its not working..it says

"You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community." i used tiny pic.

alex

You don't want to up the NB voltage, you want to up the NB cpu (link) voltage. The NB actually on the motherboard is far more sensitive to voltage bumps and usually the cooling on them is crap unless it's a better board. I have almost the same chip (different stepping) idling at about 4 gigs right now.

When you change the setting in bios, are you using the save settings buttons to exit? Sounds silly but I don't know any other reason none of your changes would stick.

Agent Smith, I have gigabyte versions of both the 770 and 970 boards that I've had no trouble o/cing the base clock. Righ now have mine at 240mhz

Edited by wdeydwondrer

my pc hangs at the post motherboard weclome screen like when it says press del or f2 to enter bios is just freezes. also if the pc restarts and i have the option to try any safe modes the pc also crashes there too. so if i pop the battery will that help?

alex

Do this...clear the CMOS by pulling the battery on the mobo and if there's a jumper move it also...leave it for like 30 seconds and replace battery and move jumper back to normal.

Start the PC and hit enter to enter the BIOS where you'll have to reset the time/date, then set default BIOS settings. Reboot. On reboot bo back into BIOS again and bump up the clock speed on the CPU by 20Mhz...(200+20=220). Leave the multiplier alone and make sure your RAM settings are correct for stock speed. Reboot. Does it start? If so, go back to BIOS and bump the CPU speed another 20Mhz...

Continue that procedure until it will not boot anymore. Go back to BIOS and lower the multiplier x1. Reboot. If it starts you can try bumping the CPU speed some more.

It's a vicious cycle, but it's the one sure way to O/C a system...

:geezer:

You can't just increase the base clock w/out watching votages and ALL the multipliers, so I guess if all you did was bump that and ignore the rest of the bios, you could probably run into trouble, lol

Yeah, I know back in the day all you could do was bump the bus.... very few CPU's had unlocked multipliers, and they were $1k!!! I have seen several CPU and motherboard reviews lately for both Intel and AMD and the writer would find the max multiplier/voltage needed stability, and then go tweaking the bus. Usually it stops at around a 20Mhz increase, but then I see other reviews where they get 50+. It usually seems to have something to do with the PCI-E stability, hard drive controllers, or USB. In all the reviews voltages to the chipsets were increased to try and maintain stability,

I would imagine, there are "meh" boards, and then there are nice boards that have several different memory divider options, and bus speed clocking options that allow the user to set a different bus*CPU speed, and keep the PCI lanes stock? I know i had a few of those boards(mainly high end MSI, Asus, and DFI) back in "the day,"

Yeah, if you don't leave your pcie lanes at stock then you'll have a whole new issue to deal with.

But the reason you see such small o/c on the bus is that your first scenario there, they have already o/c the cpu with the multiplier. Doesn't leave much room to o/c the bus, plus each bump on the bus is far larger now that a bigger multiplier is used. With current amd chips, you'll see better overall performance when you drop the multi (possibly) and push the bus first. Giving the memory more speed and more bandwidth works better than just raw speed right now. Haven't had a chance to look at o/c for current intels

Yeah, if you don't leave your pcie lanes at stock then you'll have a whole new issue to deal with.

But the reason you see such small o/c on the bus is that your first scenario there, they have already o/c the cpu with the multiplier. Doesn't leave much room to o/c the bus, plus each bump on the bus is far larger now that a bigger multiplier is used. With current amd chips, you'll see better overall performance when you drop the multi (possibly) and push the bus first. Giving the memory more speed and more bandwidth works better than just raw speed right now. Haven't had a chance to look at o/c for current intels

I agree, I used to overclock my opteron using bus only since it was locked, but there were so many factors to deal with the hyper transport, and the memory divider.

As far as Intel goes, they seem to not like base clock bumping at all.... My brothers i5 will run at 5GHz, and 2400Mhz memory, but if you drop the multiplier and try to bump the bus past 4-6Mhz, it's a no go....

Edited by Agent Smith