Change Mode

Starting two new projects

Yessir! Your PSU is actually the "heart" of any system...without one all you have are parts..

:geezer:

Is voltage dropping something that commonly happens with cheap psu's? Especially while OC'ing? I tried running prime95 and it kept losing a worker within the first few minutes. I'm hoping the low voltage is the cause.

Gonna order this Friday if it's still on sale.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011

Think I found the case I want too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146089

Edited by BlksnshN

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is voltage dropping something that commonly happens with cheap psu's? Especially while OC'ing? I tried running prime95 and it kept losing a worker within the first few minutes. I'm hoping the low voltage is the cause.

Yup, could aslo be an issue in cheap mainboards too, but usually a psu issue. Reminds me back in the day of hooking up multiple cheap psus using relays to power my o/c system, lol. Don't be cheap like me, LOL

I don't do much business with Tiger since I have one about 50 miles away, it's too far to drive there on a regular basis, and if I want to order online I always have to pay tax and shipping....

I think I would be better off picking up a second GTX 460 than buying two new 7770's, since they perform about the same and I already have a 460. Although the 460 is much more power hungry.

agreed!

Where can I find the most reliable PSU calculator?

Just wondering if I can get away the HX750 instead of the HX850? Both of them are certified gold but the 750 is $30 cheaper and I could apply that to another component.

Also, Do you guys buy a new copy of windows every time you upgrade your (mobo/cpu) system? Or is there a way to install it on the "new" system with your existing key?

Edited by BlksnshN

Nope. If it's your only rig and you dismantle it to build a new rig, then you can re-install windows. In some cases it won't like it on activation, then just call in and explain it and they will reactivate it with a new key.

Only legal way to do it >.> w/out buying a new o/s everytime

Nope. If it's your only rig and you dismantle it to build a new rig, then you can re-install windows. In some cases it won't like it on activation, then just call in and explain it and they will reactivate it with a new key.

Only legal way to do it >.> w/out buying a new o/s everytime

So basically just re install with my original product key and if it rejects it I get to talk to a gentleman from India.

So basically just re install with my original product key and if it rejects it I get to talk to a gentleman from India.

Not all of them are from India. I've called and talked to a couple of them and they're quite nice and I would have sworn they were both Americans.

Yeah, just call M$ Tech Support and tell 'em the hard drive died and you had to reinstall Windoze...It'll be a little bit of a process to reset the license but you can get it done right over the phone in about 20 min....

I've done this many times! Very simple....

I think the windows key has an activation limit, so it may just work right away without calling if you have not used it on any other systems. Even if it has reached it's limit they will issue a new key at no cost.

Just ordered my PSU. 20% off this unit right now and it's still modular and gold certified, + it gets great reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153143

20% off this unit right now and it's still modular and gold certified, + it gets great reviews.

Also picked up a wireless card. I was getting sick of switching my ethernet cord between devices.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166082

Edited by BlksnshN

Just ordered my PSU. 20% off this unit right now and it's still modular and gold certified, + it gets great reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153143

20% off this unit right now and it's still modular and gold certified, + it gets great reviews.

Also picked up a wireless card. I was getting sick of switching my ethernet cord between devices.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166082

You should be happy with those...

I've got plans for a SSD shortly also. From everything I've read you install and use it no different than a regular HD, except you don't defrag. The newer models also have trash collection and wear leveling all built in to them so you don't have to worry about those like you used to. I'm currently looking at a 256gb OCZ Vector. VERY good reviews and the part that is really pushing me towards it is the near same speed on compressed and uncompressed data. Ofcourse if I wait too much longer I'm sure they'll have another better, fast unit to drool on, lol

I'm not sure how to set up multiple drives regardless of being mechanical or SSD.

This looks like a good deal from Tiger, 240 GB OCZ for 139.99. I was about to order one but I just suffered a financial setback so my projects are going to be put on hold.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1387821&sku=O261-2114&SRCCODE=webbp1646&[email protected]&cm_mmc=email-_-Retro-_-webbp1646-_-tigeremail1646&utm_source=EML&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=webbp1646

Yeah, the Vertex 3 is older, the Vertex 4 replaced it, only to be superceded by the Vector. I have the 4 and it stinkin flys!

It's crazy how snappy the SSD's make the system feel, get on an i3 3220 system with a nice SSD, and then use an i7 38979578365k :laughing: system with a mechanical drive, and for booting, app launching, and load times, you would swear the i3 owns it ... I have actually only tested a few systems with SSD, one was a laptop with an i3 2100t. Sure, the crappy iGP was too laggy for Windows 8, but who care when it boots in 10 seconds right? :banana3:

But seriously, I was really wanting to keep a low (and strict unlike "the me" of 5 years ago) budget on my system, and get a $60 500GB Sata III, using an i3 or FX-6100 CPU, but am SERIOUSLY considering getting a Pentium G or a Phenom and putting the $60 towards a 120-180GB SSD for the OS and a few games. I can still score a 1TB mechanical in a few months for $60-70 when the SSD gets full.

Mind you this is all on a system with a $600 budget....

It's ok, but that's a last gen drive. Personally I wouldn't get it

It is last gen, but it still blows the doors on anything that spins!! I may try to get one for the build I am doing.

I do agree that they are well beyond that series now, but then again, when are "they," not?

They're fast yes, but for me personally, I'm saving up for it, so when I hit the price threshold I'll be getting the fastest one I can at the time. Currently the Vector unless a NICE deal on a vertex 4 as they are somewhat close in performance. But maybe in a couple months we'll get a Vector 2!!!

It is last gen, but it still blows the doors on anything that spins!! I may try to get one for the build I am doing.

I do agree that they are well beyond that series now, but then again, when are "they," not?

Yeah, my current drive was cannibalized from my laptop, It's a 640gb 5400 RPM drive. I imagine any SSD would smoke that thing.

received my PSU and wireless adapter today.

The PSU seems to be of very high quality and installed easily. Lots of extra cables for future upgrade. May need a 8 pin ATX extender when I jump to a full case. Also the SATA power cables are upside down, not sure how that made it trough inspection.

The wireless card installed easily and started working immediately. However, it seems painfully slow. I can't connect to steam and I can't get speedtest to work to see what my speeds are. Not sure what the issue is, my laptop works just fine as well as my other wireless devices.

Using the latest drivers from the web for your card? Signal strength? Windows firewall and connection wizard ruining your day? lol

Also, the majority, if not all psu I've used/installed have the sata ports upside down relative to running the wires up from the bottom of the case. Flip the psu to the top and they seem the right way! lol