Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stoneking

Java auto updates

I'm really tired of Java wanting to 'run home to Mama' every time I turn on my machine and I'd like to make it stop. I have been to the control panel and un-checked the "allow Java to check for updates" box (I am paraphrasing here...) and clicked apply but when I go back into the applet the "allow Java..." box is checked again!

If anyone has a solution, I'd love to hear it. Thanx in advance.

with that said, you should realize how important it is to keep java up to date if you choose to have it installed. it quite frequently is found to have severe security flaws that require updates.

^this

Also, java updater really doesn't use that much system resources in today's systems

Thanx so much for the replies. I've been coming to the Pit since '03 and what a wealth of knowledge is so generously shared here!

It isn't the system resources used so much as it is a program which professes to allow you to disable something but, in fact, does exactly what you have told it not to do. However quaint the notion is, I like to think I am the boss (of this system) at least. :rofl3:

Once again- thanx so much. I appreciate you guys taking the time to help.