Change Mode

Shopping cart is full, thoughts?

Okay, so I have been plotting my budget build for a few weeks now.... as I said, I already have a discrete HD6670 card. This card on it's own has done pretty good considering I got it for $40!!!

I was wanting to REALLY keep costs low, yet have something that will play games with medium-high settings on 1080P. I was going to be in the market for a new monitor, however, it's about time for me to upgrade my TV as well, I figured why not kill two birds? Found a 40" LCD at a steal, and there are good reviews on it, plus I trust the egg....

In dual graphics mode with the HD6670 and A10 processor (am going to overclock the snot out of EVERYTHING of course:) I should get 40-60FPS in BF3, which is really the game I want to play right now! Plus, with the motherboard I chose, I can crossfire two 7850's or what not later on when they are dirt cheap, and get some more horsepower.

I know the power supply in the cart is not a top of the line model by any means, but I also know it will plenty get the job done, and I may still use my OCZ GameXStream 700w if I decide to part my old system out (debating on trying to rework it for a gaming rig in my 7 year old son's room)....

Here is the cart:

Qty. Product Description Savings Total Price

Posted Image NZXT M59 - 001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Item #: N82E16811146058 - $49.99

Posted Image Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive Item #: N82E16822136769

$64.99

Posted Image ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M FM2 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard Item #: N82E16813157334

$74.99

Posted Image COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS500-PCARD3-US 500W ATX12V v2.3 Power Supply Item #: N82E16817171031

$39.99

Posted Image Logitech Wireless Combo MK260 920-002950 Black USB RF Wireless Standard Keyboard and Mouse Item #: N82E16823126197 $26.99

Posted Image G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL11D-8GBSR Item #: N82E16820231519 $49.99

Posted Image AMD A10-5800K Trinity 3.8GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD ... Item #: N82E16819113280

$129.99

Posted Image Battlefield 3 Standard Edition PC Game EA Item #: N82E16832130293 - $34.23

Posted Image Sceptre 40" Class (38.5" Diag.) 1080p 60Hz LCD HDTV X408BV-FHD Item #: N82E16889112067

$299.99

Posted Image COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel ... Item #: N82E16835103099

$34.99 Subtotal: $806.14

Again, this will not be a bencher, or competition rig, really just a fun gaming system in the living room that will still be more potent then the next gen consoles, and cost less, and it is upgradable because AMD is doing at least one more generation of FM2 CPU's, and the ability to run better GPU's later is a plus also. I chose the NZXT case based on price. good reviews, and great experience with NZXT in the past..... Remember, this is an entire system, plus a 40" LCD for $800!!!

My other option for $60 more would be to get the FX-4100, ditch the evo 212 (the stock cooler on the FX is superior to the A10's, and allows 4.6+ overclocks which is my goal) and add in an am3+ board of equal price, and a discrete HD7770, which will perform better, but still blows my budget...

I'm at point in life where family vacations, and trips to the mall with my kids are more enjoyable than video games these days which is why I really wanted to keep this thing dirt cheap...

I do have to admit, I can't wait to be on the other end of the wireless keyboard and mouse with this thing in my living room. I remember having $2k in a system to run games maxed out at 1280x1024, so to put this build together (with my fiance and my children) will not only be a great value in price/performance, but will be a priceless experience, that the whole family can surf and play games on. This also proves to everyone (mainly myself more than anybody), that I can have a hobby like PC gaming(normally considered to be an expensive hobby) and it NOT break the bank.

Edited by Agent Smith

Maybe, need to make sure the 700 is up to par, it's 5 years old, and not sure I can use it yet, but I know that 500w will work if I have to go that route. might drop $10 on something with active PFC though, this won't be a power hungry system, even though the CPU will use a lot of juice overclocked, the video card uses bus power....

How does everything else look?

Have you ran it through the calculator?? eXtreme Power Supply Calculator

Make sure you allow for plenty of O/C'n...

Calculator says with a heavy overclock the whole thing will pull 311 watts, so I may go with the Corsair CX430 builder series since it is 80+ AND has been proven to produce over 500w without shutting off, the Cooler Master GX450 also has 80+ and was proven to pull exactly 450w at 83% efficiency in several reviews.... both of those are $45 shipped and usually have $10-20 rebates. Power supplies have a come a long way since dropping $150 on my old OCZ. What's funny is, the OCZ only had around 74% efficiency at it's claimed wattage, and in my case (plenty of pun, lmao), does less good because the power is more focused on the 3.3 and 5v rails than a newer unit.

Other than me hating asrock boards w/ a passion? lol

Have you had problems with asrock? I know that back when I was heavy into "it," they had a horrible reputation. It seems now they are doing great in reviews. Sometimes companies either make drastic quality improvements to succeed, or they keep selling garbage and fail. I remember the same was true for ESC boards, and now I am seeing good reviews for them too.

It seems the whole industry is so competitive now, it explains why you get so much bang for your buck. It's actually good to see so many quality low-cost (not cheap, but money saving) products being sold. To get an 80+ PSU that can push 500 watts for less than $50 is amazing! And we are talking Corsair and Cooler Master, NOT Logisys and Raidmax..... I went through my fair share of Raidmax/Logisys "680 watt" garbage, with their squeeling coils, unstable rails, and eventual pops, fires, and failures. Those were costing me $60-75 6 years ago, then I said to hell with that and got the OCZ 700, but it was $150! Mind you there were way too many "I told you so's" to keep track of at the time.

In those days I saw the reviews(for the cheap PSU's), and they all said how bad the units were. I went against my judgement(and others') to save money. My caveman logic was to; skimp on PSU, spend more on video card. Didn't do any good because the PSU couldn't power the damn cards!! Now, upon researching, the low cost parts have great reviews, so I am inclined to believe they will work as advertised.

I just think the fact I am building the system, AND throwing in a 40" LCD TV for what I had initially budgeted for a system before starting my research is :filtered: awesome!

Haven't used asrock boards in 8 years give/take. They were trash then and I never looked back. At that time I went back to abit, then moved on to gigabyte and been there ever since. Personally I rarely even look outside gigabyte atm. Mind you I'm not looking at the $300 range so I can't say gigabyte are still good at the upper echelon.

Drop the extra $25 on the Premium Edition of Battlefield 3. Comes with all the DLC. If you buy the regular version and then decide to upgrade to premium, it's an extra $50.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832130311

I also think it might be a good idea to upgrade to the FX series with an FM3+ board. I believe the next AMD chips are supposed to stay with the FM3+, so it'll add a bit of longevity. I'm running a FX 6200 and have been really happy with it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113287

I'd be interested to hear your review on that wireless KB and Mouse once you get it. I'd really like to get a wireless KB.

Edited by BlksnshN

Yeah, I have been doing more reading, and will probably go am3+ instead, and use a new GPU.... my brother just got a HD7770 and it runs games really good for the money...... he pulled the stock f/h and put some AS

5 on it, load temps with crazy clocks are just over 40c?!?! Hasn't raised the voltage yet, but most of those cards will do about 1250 core with 1.35 (up from 1.2 stock) and about 1500 (DDR 6000!!) on the RAM

I'm looking to get at least 4.6Ghz if I go FX-6***, that's they only way those chips even get near the intel i5+ stuff

Edited by Agent Smith

im running the FX-8350 and its a pretty awesome chip. right now i only run 4.2GHz (200MHz OC) because i liked dropping the Vcore a click from stock even with the OC. and cooling with the H100 its pretty awesome

with the FX-8350 you can hit 4.6GHz easily and keep it cool

Edited by BigJoe5434