Sign in to follow this  
evilfantasy

Windows 8 Update Notifier

Windows 8 does not alert users to new Windows Updates like previous versions of Windows. Some people like Windows to "be quiet" and not alert them to updates for various reasons. For those of us who do rely on notifications to important Windows Updates this is a good free solution. Once I ran this software I was informed that I did indeed have 6 Windows Updates waiting to be downloaded and installed.

Windows (8) Update Notifier Homepage

Windows 8 do not offer a desktop notification about new available Windows Updates. You can choose the option "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download them" within the Windows Update Settings, but you will not be informed about new updates via a popup on the desktop (as it was in windows 7). Only on the logon screen you can see a hint in the bottom right corner.

Be sure to look at the see the documentation page for install instructions and Screenshots.

Among other things Windows Updates address security, performance and compatability issues. They are not all critical but some should be installed as soon as they become available.

They are normally released on Patch Tuesday which is the second Tuesday of each month. Some (very few) are released "out-of-band". Those are uncommon though and are reserved for very severe vulnerabilities being released at any time of the month.

If you are using the built-in malware protection with Windows 8, Windows 8 Update Notifier alerts you to new antivirus updates as they are released. By default Microsoft now uses Windows Defender as built-in malware protection.

New version allows for Windows Defender updates to install automatically.

http://wun.codeplex.com

Features

- Is shown as a icon in the system tray
- Inform about updates via a popup
- Search for new updates every hour (by default)
- Open the windows update dialog by clicking the popup (or via the context menu)
- Disabling popup-notification temporarily (updates will be searched but no popup will be shown).
Can be useful for disabling notifications during presentations.
- If connection to the update-service can not be established, retry every 30 seconds. for 10 times.
- Four icons states: "searching", "updates found", "no updates available", "not connected"
- Settings dialog for changing update interval and configuring the app as auto startup.
- Select between two popup-styles: The Windows 7 Style and the Metro Style.
- Support for automatically installing Windows Defender updates

Edited by evilfantasy