Change Mode

New Build/Upgrade

So I'm getting set to upgrade my system. It will be a replacement of the motherboard, cpu and ram. This will be my first time.. Have a setup picked out, just like some quick feedback about it before I commit to it..

So here are the parts I have picked out:

MB: ASRock Z77 Extreme4

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 1866

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge

I currently have a 660Ti GPU and 750W PSU I'm going to use with it. My goal is max FPS in games. So does this seem like a good build that will run todays games pretty good with all the pretty eye candy on?

Thanks!

Looks good, except I would step up to a different board. Something like this Gigabyte. If you have more money and want more features, you could step up to the UD5 board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128544

I have had enough experience with asrock boards, they're kinda like the walmart brand imo.

So I got my parts in the mail today. Will start backing up my data and get ready for a fresh start.. In the mean time I have a n00b question or two.. :h3lp:

1 Starting from a formatted HD, how do I go about installing W7 and the MB drivers? Hook everything up, boot, install MB drivers (with CD in drive) then install W7 or what?

2 The CPU has a graphics display in it.. do I have to disable it since I have my own GPU? If, How so?

So I got my parts in the mail today. Will start backing up my data and get ready for a fresh start.. In the mean time I have a n00b question or two.. :h3lp:

1 Starting from a formatted HD, how do I go about installing W7 and the MB drivers? Hook everything up, boot, install MB drivers (with CD in drive) then install W7 or what?

2 The CPU has a graphics display in it.. do I have to disable it since I have my own GPU? If, How so?

What motherboard and CPU did you go with??

1. Start by making sure you have the motherboard CD or have the drivers downloaded to USB thumb drive or cd...hook everything up and begin in this order:

a. Insert Windows 7 dvd and begin installing Win 7. Print out and follow the guide here > http://www.sevenforu...indows-7-a.html

b. After installing Windows 7, install Direct X, the cd that came with the 660Ti should have this option on it, and it's pretty instinctive to follow.

c. Install the motherboard/Chipset drivers

d. install audio, video, and ethernet drivers in no particular order. (I usually install ethernet first) The latest video driver is here:

Win 7 32bit > http://downloads.gur...nload-2966.html

Win 7 64bit > http://downloads.gur...nload-2967.html

That oughta get you up and going.

:geezer:

Thanks!

I went with what I listed above.

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 MB and Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge

So to start, should I format/wipe my HD before I remove and hook it to the new motherboard (if so, best way to go about doing that)? If I don't, installing new MB without formatting my HD first will give me issues, right?

Oh and I found newer video drivers: http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/geforce_310_90_whql_driver_download.html

Edited by YoungGun

I always like to start with a clean hard drive, BUT!, after booting with the Win 7 dvd and accepting the language portion and after clicking "Install" and selecting *Custom Install* you can open the *Drive Options "Advanced"* and select to format and partition the drive from there. Good news on the video drivers! :tup:

CB, why do you recommend installing DirectX at that point? Especially on W7 installs I never have done that until either after system drivers and windows updates are done, or until I actually need it. Have seen no ill side effects at all yet. Is that just something you do or is there merit-able points behind why that order?

Just that back in the day when X_C had his site up and running and in the days of Nforce boards he recommended it. I tried it and it always worked well for me and I've stuck with it even tho' I use both Intel and AMD... Seems I remember something about NOT installing it at that point couild cause harm to the CPU? (back in the day) I guess technology has changed and maybe it's not necessary anymore...but it works for me.

Just that back in the day when X_C had his site up and running and in the days of Nforce boards he recommended it. I tried it and it always worked well for me and I've stuck with it even tho' I use both Intel and AMD... Seems I remember something about NOT installing it at that point couild cause harm to the CPU? (back in the day) I guess technology has changed and maybe it's not necessary anymore...but it works for me.

That's really odd to me. I've had a few nforce2 boards (favorite was the nf7s) and I don't recall ever installing directx until needed by a game. Really wish I still had those parts to do some testing with. Side note, just realized that I still have the first version DX9 offline installer on hard drive!!!! LOL Gonna get a ssd next month, if i remember about it i'll slap dx updates on here before drivers and use the same o/c and see if anything has changed (excluding hd related testing)

Help! So after hours of installing the new hardware I got it to boot and installed W7. But

My GPU is not being seen! I have to plug my monitor into the MB onboard video. Why will not see my GPU??

I try to install the video drivers but says there is no GPU installed :huh:

Also not detecting my audio card the plugged into the MB..

Edited by YoungGun

Help! So after hours of installing the new hardware I got it to boot and installed W7. But

My GPU is not being seen! I have to plug my monitor into the MB onboard video. Why will not see my GPU??

I try to install the video drivers but says there is no GPU installed :huh:

Also not detecting my audio card the plugged into the MB..

Can you get/have you checked in BIOS to make sure it's supposed to use the vid card? (Some BIOS calls it PEG and others PCI-e)

Try swapping slots with the vid card and see if it helps...

Be sure to unplug the PC and touch the sides of the case before fiddling around in there... Also be sure to release the latch that holds the card in the slot!!

Ok, got my video card working. Plugged my monitor into the gpu instead the MB and booted/installed video drivers fine.

Now working on getting my audio. Installed audio drivers from http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=Z77%20Extreme4&o=All

still no luck. I have my sound card plugged in and when I try to install drivers from the CD that came with sound card, says no card detected..