Sign in to follow this  
luvpats

Cannot install any windows updates at all

Happy New Year!

Windows 7 Ultimate Genuine

I always get the same error code 800706B5 even if I attempt an install manually. Actually I cannot even connect through Windows Update as it states "Windows cannot search for new updates" with that error code.

I have tried every fix imaginable. . .well. . .except for the fix that will fix the problem.

System Restore didn't even help as I went back to before Christmas when everything was downloading just fine and installing just fine even manually.

Am I going to have to reinstall Windows and start all over again?

I have no idea what went wrong.

If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

Windows 7 includes a Windows Update troubleshooter. From Microsoft —

Open the Windows Update troubleshooter by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Under System and Security, click Fix problems with Windows Update.

Yes I did try that. . .twice. It did not fix the problem although it did say in the summary box that the problem was fixed but it wasn't. I still keep getting the same error message. Also tried running the "Fix It" on the Microsoft Fit It Site. I have tried several other "fixes". I still keep getting the same error code no matter what.

Make sure that your time set is correct.

I reinstalled W7. Everything is working OK now except the only update I cannot install is the KB2506143 which is the new Remote Desktop. All other updates installed just fine. Is there a way to force install the update?

You have to have the 2574819 hotfix installed in order to install that update. Do you have that installed?

Yes I did install that update prior to attempting to install the Remote Desktop upgrade. I tried twice more and the second attempt the computer would not boot to Desktop.

So I am once again reformatting and reinstalling Windows 7. If it doesn't work this time I am going back to XP. This is the 4th reinstall within 30 days.

Not the Sharpest Tool in the shed this way , but if i had to Reinstall windows 7 for a 4th time in 30 Days , i'd be sure Looking hard at the Windows 7 Disk , maybe Scratched or Corrupt or such , or maybe even a Bad Hard Drive . I remember having a Similar Problem on an old XP machine 2006 era , be alright after a fresh install an then Problems would Restart ,turned out to be the Hard Drive .. Just a Thought ok. Regards , Philip.

I think the problem is the fact that I do something wrong and I don't know what that is just yet.

For example in the last install the My Documents folder wound up in the My Pictures folder and I could not move it back to its default location. I just don't recall moving the Documents folder at all. I would have no reason to move it anywhere else anyway but somehow I did and it would not move back to its default location no matter what.