Sign in to follow this  
me82

popup blockers

What is the best popup blocker to use besides ad muncher? That is what i was using but then it expired. I tried super pop up blocker. but that did help with my computer so i uninstalled it. I ran malwarebytes . There was nothing found, and I ran eset smart security, and nothing was found. I updated eset smart security and i'm trying to update virus definitions and that not working.

So What Ad blocking can i use . I use firefox as my browser.

For Firefox try the Adblock Plus add-on...click the orange Firefox tab/add-ons and search for Adblock Plus. Be sure and get the Adblock Pluss Popup Add-on too...

p.s. use the Easylist ;)

:geezer:

If you can't update your virus definitions, then it sounds like you have malware that is possibly hidden from MBam and your Anti-virus product.

See if flushing the DNS cache and restoring MS's Hosts file works ...

Copy and paste these lines in Note pad.

@Echo on

pushdwindowssystem32driversetc

attrib -h -s -r hosts

echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS

attrib +r +h +s hosts

popd

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /flushdns

netsh winsock reset all

netsh int ip reset all

shutdown -r -t 1

del %0

Save as flush.bat to your desktop.

Double click on the flush.bat file to run it.Vista and Windows 7... right click the .bat file and choose to run as Administrator. Your computer will reboot itself.

If a no go, then follow these directions for our "Have I Been Hijacked?" forum http://forums.pcpits...orum-read-this/

I finally got it to update definitions. I had to do it a couple of times, and I installed ad block plus and the ad block add on but haven't restarted my computer yet for it to take effect, but the popups are gone now

You will also find TFC by Old Timer extremely helpful with cleaning out temporary files ...

Download TFC by Old Timer http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/TFC-Temp-File-Cleaner-OldTimer-file187.html and save it to your desktop.

Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!

Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista/Windows 7 right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.

Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.

Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB). Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running apps. When finished, the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.

TFC only cleans temp folders. TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail. TFC requires a reboot immediately after running. Be sure to save any unsaved work before running TFC.