Change Mode

New board, new core, new RAM ...

Some new parts were ordered for my sick computer the other day, so now I need to get people's opinion on each one of these parts.

I ordered an ASRock motherboard which comes with a free 8GB memory kit to start. Then I ordered one of those AMD Trinity APUs to go on my board.

But now it seems like I need to get a new hard drive. My Seagate Barracuda 1.0 TB volume ran into errors before I shut that one down and started playing around with this Windows 8 lappy.

You're building w/ an apu, so I'm assuming you aren't going to be really pushing this thing hard or gaming much of anything. Can't really say I recommend them as you haven't said what your intended use it, but they are already ordered soooooo..........

Check if your seagate is still under warranty then RMA it. If you are looking for a new replacement mechanical hdd, look into the new 7200.14 line, 1 gig and up have the new 1 gig platters. Fairly decent speed increase over the 7200.12 line.

You're building w/ an apu, so I'm assuming you aren't going to be really pushing this thing hard or gaming much of anything. Can't really say I recommend them as you haven't said what your intended use it, but they are already ordered soooooo..........

Are you kidding? This APU has a discrete-level GPU inside, which has native DirectX 11 support (my graphics card didn't; XFX Radeon HD-4350). It may share quite a bit of system memory but based upon that, I might have to do more shopping around for more memory if anything gets snagged.

I might have to study the layout of the board if I'm going to run the memory in Dual Channel mode. (Board supports up to 64GB of memory.)

From reviews I have read, they are not favorable over discrete cards. But by ALL means, if you are able to post up some benches or something once you get it all together I'd love to see how it turns out. Actually happen to be considering a build involving one of those chips for my parents and would love to see your results!

• 3 months later...

What would it do if I put a WD Black hard drive or two in the case? Those WD Green drives are notorious for the high load/unload counts

Or, adding a couple of Radeon HD-7750 graphics cards...

Might want to get a big power supply for those. This RocketFish can only supply enough power for 1 card. Running both cards in CrossFireX configuration requires more power than the PSU can produce.

Everything runs in decent quality, aside from the fact that when you get to the Valve games, everything gets set to the LOW quality settings, especially in Left 4 Dead 2 and Team Fortress 2.

Have not tried running Sims 2 yet. Disk errors continue to plague the future of running this game. A setting in the game to control the quality of the graphics is more than just a simple slider ("smooth edges"), but it would work better leaving it at 2x MSAA.

This GPU supports Hardware Transform & Lighting

BIOS will allocate up to 2 GB of shared memory for the GPU. However, there's only one module installed, so there is only 512 MB shared with this one stick of 8 GB memory. That should be enough for Windows to run and plenty for my games to run in better-enough quality.

This PC is slower than my Dell laptop in [email protected] because it has less threads. Last WU it turned in scored 788 points.

And I had trouble getting Windows installed in AHCI the first time. Also, it probably doesn't realize that if it was mounted on a volume or RAID-0 array greater than 3 TB, it probably would have to be formatted to GPT anyway. If I have to run a test on the hard disk, I would have to get the SATA bus OUT of AHCI mode and into legacy IDE mode, and it has its own share of problems, because once you do, only about four of the ports are available unless you set IDE combined mode to "On", because then I can't boot off any CD-ROMs!

The only programs I know about that DOESN'T work very well with this motherboard is:
MHDD 2.6 *(does not recognize the chipset; AMD A85X)

Edited by EclipseWebJS2

Having that little memory for your video subsystem is actually kinda huge these days. But if you are happy with it, so be it.

The bit about your AHCI issues I am COMPLETELY not understanding you. Windows 7 comes with default drivers able to use AHCI, if you had ANY problems that would lead me directly to faulty hardware, either the board or the drive (slime chance of a crap cable). You also would mount the volume, not the os, so size really wouldn't matter on AHCI.

I also have no idea why you would need to change your system to IDE mode to test a hard drive. If you had a raid array and your driver wasn't able to run a diagnostic, then MAYBE you would have to disable the array temporarily, but just being in AHCI would in no way hinder your tests. Done this MANY times in AHCI mode.

You are having some abnormal issues with that board IMO.

I also have no idea why you would need to change your system to IDE mode to test a hard drive. If you had a raid array and your driver wasn't able to run a diagnostic, then MAYBE you would have to disable the array temporarily, but just being in AHCI would in no way hinder your tests. Done this MANY times in AHCI mode.

Seatools for DOS requires it (both GUI and text-mode versions), otherwise it won't find any hard drives.HDAT2 requires it, otherwise the CD-ROM driver won't work.

Parted Magic and gparted require it, else it would spam "module unknown not found in modules.dep" messages and refuse to boot.

And in fact going back on the record, the fact that I actually had some trouble to begin with was that I had my X-BOOST turned on and I shouldn't, this causes the Windows Setup or other programs to not find any hard drives.

There's already more problems with the hardware, or at least the software that comes with the board. I try to avoid using Standby or Hibernate, because each time the computer uses any of those modes, instead of resuming from standby or hibernate it reboots! It doesn't show any kind of Screen of Death or anything, just the "Windows did not shut down properly" message when it happens. I did have a piece of software on here that would simply overwrite my default power policy every time it starts up.

Edited by EclipseWebJS2