Change Mode

Looking for a new laptop

Been researching for a new laptop to use for school starting in January. I started out by browsing the manufacturers websites, tried to see on custom builds, then going though sellers sites. I've got a budget of 1500, but hoping to keep it under 1000 in case I have to modify sections.

This system will be used for some gaming, but it will mainly be used in graphics design and video editing.

I was looking for something with a 17 inch screen, dvd burner, 8+g ram, ability to have 2 hd's, and a dedicated video card.

My other questions are if the difference between the I series of chips are worth the extra price between the 3's, 5's, and 7's? Are LED's better then LCD screens in reference to laptops? I've heard it said they aren't really worth it on smaller screens. And if the computer has good specs in relation to processor, screen, graphics card; I have no problems with it as long as I can modify it and still keep it under budget. The reason why I'm looking for the ability to have 2 hard drives is I'm looking to add a ssd if it in the laptop originally as well as a medium to large storage drive.

Thanks for any help in advance, trying to sort though the laptops for sale is confusing and hard to do with all the variations out there. I tried to customize likely systems through Dell, HP, and other sites, but my lack of knowledge on processors and the extremely high costs of modded components sent me here to find some more experienced advice.

no i wouldn't be looking to mod a laptop. (like bonzai just posted, spend your entire budget on it in the first place.)

buy the best i7 gaming laptop (they have dedicated video cards.) you can afford in the first place, that way you'll have the highest and best specs your going to need for video editing.

something like this :- http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/laptops/374749/alienware-m17x-r4/specifications

you can usually modify the base specs of a good gaming laptop to include everything you want in one.

eg:- http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=n00w7m05&m_3=509072&m_6=692923&m_8=689222&m_11=576477&m_16=691838&m_146=744578&model_id=alienware-m17x-r4&c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1

:b33r: