Change Mode

ssd vs mechanical hds

Ok you guys that own ssd, need you to weigh in on this. Mainly because I'm looking to spend some money on one or the other.

I see the VAST majority of you guys getting ssd units either entirely for booting the os, or for boot plus a couple programs. Everything else going to mechanical drives. Now I understand that most people have to get smaller ssd units just because of the cost of a 500gig or 1tb, but what kind of actual, usable performance boost are you getting with just the os on these fast drives? It's good and grand that your os can boot in 10 seconds, but what about the countless games I have on hd that wouldn't benefit,,, or the dvd/movie software I use which would likely have to go to the older drives.

Basically, if you can't put everything you use on your fancy new ssd, is the high cost still worth it?

As a footnote, anyone have any experience yet with these newer hybrid drives?

i ordered a SSD for my new build coming up, basicly i wanted for OS and few anti spy/malware/virus programs, and probably a few benchmark programs. unfortunately im gonna have to put games on an older raptor drive i have.

i would like to use it as my everything drive, unfortunately 128GB dont cover much at all after OS.

I don't have a clear answer for you, and unfortunately older tests were wiped when I tested my new build, or I could have shown more accurate results, but my gut feeling is there isn't much in it, BUT, that said, I was running 3x150gig VelociRaptors in raid0 previous, so my speed was pretty good before I started, but although there are times I feel there is no difference, there are times when I do notice it, but I am never sure how accurate my perception is on this, also my isp has been messing with my net, and that seems to make a difference as well, as my browser opens fast.

But another hindrance in my feelings on this is I was running on a highly corrupted system, so many things took ages, but the biggest issue in what I am feeling is I installed a brand new i7 set up before reinstalling, and that has also increased speed, but if it helps I have installed to a 60gig OCZ, using Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, and although I have lots of stuff still to install I use, I have 15gig free. so although you can happily install and run from a 60gig drive, you would no bout be better getting 2x60gig and setting them up in raid0, I think it would perform better than a single 120gig drive, but I may be wrong, certainly no pro in this area, but here is my pit test if it helps.

*edit

Just noticed, if you click my techexpress link that still shows the old system scores, but if I'm reading it right the SSD is slower then my other drives lol but I also suspect maybe the tests have been tweaked, so the same system tested before and after tweaking would read different, but I don't know for sure.

Edited by 8210GUY

I don't think the test was right when I did it with my SSD drive. Showed that it was heavily fragmented.

As far as use, it does boot up fast. but you do need to put everything on another drive. I use dvd editing software, the software is on the ssd but I use a 1 tb drive to store all the video on and to copy/burn from.

Prices are going down, you can get a 256 for under $200. today, might be cheaper by 2nd or 3rd quarter this coming year. I think we are going to see larger sizes become more common.

I don't think the test was right when I did it with my SSD drive. Showed that it was heavily fragmented.

As far as use, it does boot up fast. but you do need to put everything on another drive. I use dvd editing software, the software is on the ssd but I use a 1 tb drive to store all the video on and to copy/burn from.

Prices are going down, you can get a 256 for under $200. today, might be cheaper by 2nd or 3rd quarter this coming year. I think we are going to see larger sizes become more common.

^This! I bought my Samsung 830 Series 256GB for $190 as a special that they had at a local TigerDirect/Compusa Store, but i'm looking on their website and I no longer see it there. I only found it on http://www.newegg.co...82E16820147164.

Aside all the posting of links, I'll tell you something, this thing blew the socks off my feet while I had shoes on. Mind blowing difference on what I was missing all these years and bad mouthing SSD's in terms of price. I would do some research on SSD's and differences between them in terms of SandForce and other firmwares they use. Samsung is set aside with their own controllers which is why I chose them, non the less it's said they make awesome reliable SSD firmware, but anyways I find 256GB to be just perfect for much more room needed on OS+Programs.

EDIT: I currently install games on my WD Black 500+500GB Stripped partition created by the integrated Windows disk manager, Steam allows you to save the downloads + installs on the disk you desire; same goes for Origin. So it's up to you if you want either game on one disk or the other. Usually when I'm playing a game that I want to complete and i'm all into as well as it being heavy for example Far Cry 3, I install on my SSD since it's the game i'm playing at the moment. When it's completed, I remove it from the SSD and store it on the other drives for future play if need be. The transition isn't difficult at all, and I was just as anti-ssd as you are. Hopefully my experience will help to reassure your doubts.

Edited by J!NX

I thought the same when I first tested mine, but when I queried it I was told if I click on the link in the report about this, it will tell you as an SSD it does not need defrag's, and further says to defrag an SSD will do damage to it, but it would be much nicer that the report showed it as no issue, rather than having to go indepth about it, but it's not a fault as such so you know.

That true.

SSD drives do not get fragmented because they do not use platters like mechanical drives. We would think they (PC Pitstop LLC.) would fix that in the near future, computers are always on the bleeding edge of technology and the pit test should attempt to reflect that

Edited by Joe C