Sign in to follow this  
Y kawika

Splicing Cat6 cable

I've got a situation where it just isn't feasible to run all new wire to complete a connection at a friend's home.

I know that this would be the best solution, but tearing down the sheet-rock ceiling and drilling holes in the beams, then re-sheet-rocking, taping, spackling, sanding, painting, just is a no go. :nono:

Anyway, we've got an end that we can use if we splice, but I'm curious if any of you have had experience with what would work best to connect the 8 lines inside the cable.

We were looking at using "gel caps" like these:

Posted Image

Since they work well with phone line, will they work as well with the thinner cat6 lines?

What about the old fashioned, strip, twist & cap method?

I was thinking that it would probably be best if we put a male end on one link and a female on the other and just coupled them that way.

Something along these lines:

Posted Image

Any experience or advice is appreciated.

Thanks

:) Y

to be honet y, i'd say anything that works, personally i think i'd go with a sheilded surface mount junction box.

like this :- http://compare.ebay....&var=sbar&cbt=y

here just a standard sheilded junction box :- http://www.cablesonline.com/ca110tyjubos1.html

main thing to look out for i'd say is final cable run length, and if your going to need a signal booster in there somewhere.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

put a male end on one and female on the other, then plug them together. in my experience, this is the most cost effective solution.

splicing is not advised in general, but that's what i'd do.

edit: also, what is the distance you're looking at?

Edited by badbinary

Do you have a crimper ?

If you do, just cut an end off, then add a new end once you have run the cable.

I'm sure almost any method would work but the junction box terry posted would probably look the most professional

Thank you all, it's a total of about 60 ft from the router. Aprox: 45 ft. to the point of the splice, then an additional 15 ft to the desktop.

I like the junction box idea, as it would most likely be the most durable over time, I'll see about getting one, but in the meantime, we'll slap on the male/female ends and get this thing going.

sidenote: It sure is a pain in the rear getting all 8 wires in the proper color code, lined up and pushed all the way into the end pieces before crimping.......... old eyes. :lol:

Appreciate your time and I'll let you know how it works out.

Mornin Y,

The UR scotchlocks you show will work fine, but the best way would be to solder/heat shrink.

Your not wrong, you need to be an octopus to crimp lol, junction box does sound like the best solution.

Up and running and all is well.

My friend was able to get a cat6 junction box from an electrician friend of his, so we wired the thing up and mounted it securely yesterday and it's all working as it should.

Thanks all for taking the time to help.

Most appreciated. :tup: