Sign in to follow this  

My Internet Connection Needs improving......

Heres my main problem as it stands now. I have ATT DSL service and I have had no real problems until now and what I see are very slow downloads of a page anymore. Once upon a time it was very zippy but now it has slowly and barely noticeable gotten this way. I am seeing for example, my yahoo email page will load except for a couple of ads and that holds up the entire operation until the page completely loads. It never use to do this. It is slow that way on other sites as well. I am trying to determine where I need to start to find and fix the problem.

What I have done so far was turn off my and upplug by router power supply and it helped the first time I turned it back on but after that it started doing the same thing. Slow page loads.I am still running Win XP home SP3 with IE 8. Now ever since I went to 8 I have noticed a difference but not sure that is the problem until we exhaust some other ideas. I am running two computers off my connection thru my router all hardwired to a 2wire brand ATT supplied router.Just looking for suggestions and things to try before engaging the phone company.

Edited by 1966

Give this a whirl and see if it helps...

Copy and paste these lines in Note pad.

@Echo on

pushdwindowssystem32driversetc

attrib -h -s -r hosts

echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS

attrib +r +h +s hosts

popd

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /flushdns

netsh winsock reset all

netsh int ip reset all

shutdown -r -t 1

del %0

Save as flush.bat to your desktop.

Double click on the flush.bat file to run it. Vista and Windows 7... right click the .bat file and choose to run as Administrator. Your computer will reboot itself.

:geezer:

OK, we did that and it seems to have helped some. We will continue to monitor and see. Thanks for your efforts.

That batch file may have helped but depending on the particular site right now its still flakey in loading. Would making a new network connection gain us anything?

well...what kind of connection speeds are you getting? go to this website and run the test...let us know the ping, down, and up speeds.

http://speedtest.net/

Edited by badbinary

that's pretty slow, but pages should generally load quickly.

install a different browser like chrome or firefox (i prefer chrome) and see if the issue occurs with them, too. this will tell us if the issue is browser related or not.

Edited by badbinary

Sorry for running behind but regarding another browser, where does one get Firefox and two, this is happening with two separate computers and the commonalty while both are XP and IE 8, I'm leaning torward ATT as the problem for whatever reason. I am not sure how you go about that but it appears that is what I am thinking right now as being the main problem.

Well, I never would have said that IE could be the problem but I will continue to monitor this thing as I have loaded Firefox and the difference at least right now is incredible. I may run the speedtest again and see if things have improved. But as far as complete and quick download of pages it is working very well at this point.

Just curious but as I test drive Firefox how normal is it to have a message from the browser that it can't find the server? Only lasted until I clicked retry.

Download AdWareCleaner http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/ to your desktop

1.Right-click on adwcleaner.exe and select Run As Administrator to launch the application.

2.Click on Delete button.

3.Confirm each time with OK.

4.Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart. Please post the content of that logfile in your reply.

Note: You can find the logfile at C:AdwCleaner[sn].txt as well - n is the order number.

Posted Image

Next, download TFC by Old Timer http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/TFC-Temp-File-Cleaner-OldTimer-file187.html and save it to your desktop.

Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!

Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista/Windows 7 right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.

Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.

Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

Now ... Download IE7 Pro ... It has an ad blocker for Internet Explorer, plus many more features! http://www.ie7pro.com/

Make sure you update Flash, Java and anything else that Secunia PSI finds outdated.

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

You can use this program manually (instead of it loading at start-up and running in the background) by going into "Services", right clicking--> Click Properties--> then set it to manual. Click Apply and Ok.