my browser is being hijacked

mizsam

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i ran a superantispyware scan and it found 168 adware tracking cookies and one pup.bProtector. i quarantined and removed them, rebooted and reran the scan. it found another 168 adware tracking cookies but nothing else. is this normal? thank you.

Edited by mizsam

Leave them in Quarantine for the time being.

I would like you to run TFC now. Remember that everything on your desktop will vanish except your wallpaper. Let TFC run!! Don't mouse click or try to do anything else. Eventually you will get through it and a notice will show you how many temp mb's will be deleted upon reboot.

Recap ... TFC should be in your Clean Up folder on the desktop.

Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!

Using Windows 7 right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.

Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.

Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

Let me know when all of that is done and how your computer is running now.

Excellent work girl!!

Now remove all old (infected restore points) 1.Click Start, type Cleanmgr.exe and press Enter.

2.Select the appropriate drive letter from the list and click OK... ---> That would be C:

3.Click Clean up system files. Disk Cleanup restarts in elevated mode (Administrator).

4.Select the appropriate drive letter from the list and click OK.

5.Click the More Options tab.

6.Under System Restore and Shadow Copies, click Clean up. Remember to be patient with this... :)

7.Click OK.

You should be good to go and now run Windows updates, especially IE9!

i just ran disk cleanup but didn't have the the options to go into system restore and shadow copies but the files did clean up. i went back into disk cleanup again and there were no more files to clean up. now i will do the updates.

thank you sooooo much for all of your patience and your great help. you've been a life saver. have a good thanksgiving, a merry, merry christmas and the best new year. should i have any future problems i will post again.

thanks again

lynda