Sign in to follow this  
mskhan

Cannot access Iomega prestige external hard disk after system format

Hi everyone.. I am using iomega prestige superspeed USB 3.0. and it is encrypted( it will ask for password when we connect it to the laptop) and I am using HP pavilion DV6 6C65 laptop. The hard drive worked fine until yesterday. The laptop had some audio issue and I took it to HP service center and they formatted the laptop. Now when I connect the hard drive to laptop, I can see the iomegaencryptionsetup.exe file, but when I open this file it is not asking me password, instead it is opening application settings window everytime. I have important data in it. Can anyone help me solving this issue. Thank you.

Edited by mskhan

I am using iomega prestige superspeed USB 3.0. and it is encrypted ... and I am using HP pavilion DV6 6C65 laptop.

I took it to HP service center and they formatted the laptop. Now when I connect the hard drive to laptop, I can see the iomegaencryptionsetup.exe file, but when I open this file it is not asking me password, instead it is opening application settings window

When the HP (dis)service center formatted the laptop (they're too ignorant to fix a simple audio problem?), the installed encryption software that prompts for the password was erased.

Try this. Copy IomegaEncryptionSetup.exe to the desktop, then disconnect the Iomega drive. Run IomegaEncryptionSetup.exe as administrator. The purpose is to install the software while avoiding the encryption options, which would cause irrecoverable data loss (at least, my research led to that conclusion).

Note that, if you had updated the encryption utility at some time, you probably should install the updated version instead of the one on the drive. The latest is version 3.1, dated Nov. 2011. Here's the link if you need it.

iomega-encryption-windows-v3.1.0.zip

Your best first option should be to contact Iomega technical support and enquire about this specific issue.

thanks TomGL2 for replying.. I did what you said.. I copied the .exe file, disconnected the hard drive, run the .exe file then again connected the hard drive.. But it is again showing me the application settings window. I connected the hard drive to my friend's laptop and the hard drive is working, it is asking me password. But it is not working in my laptop. I think again I have to visit the HP service center.

I think again I have to visit the HP service center.

I think that that's a really bad idea. Rather than fix the minor audio glitch in the DV6, they erased its hard disk. I'm sure that the Iomega drive will suffer the same fate in their hands.

This is an Iomega issue, and you'll have to talk to them to get it resolved.

I connected the hard drive to my friend's laptop and the hard drive is working, it is asking me password.

Did you install the Iomega software on the friend's laptop?

Since you can access the Iomega drive on another computer, I'd suggest copying the entire contents to another device — for example, to a flash drive if the data size makes that practicable; or, by networing your laptop with your friend's (or another system) with an Ethernet cable, to a folder on your own laptop.

I'm puzzled, though. With Iomega encryption software installed and running on your laptop, what happens when the Iomega drive is connected?

No I didn't install the Iomega software on my friend's laptop. I just connected the hard drive and it automatically installed the drivers. Then when I opened the .exe file it asked me for password and I was able access all my data. The size of the data is nearly 400 GB so I think it is very difficult to store it anywhere. With Iomega encryption software installed and running on my laptop, when I connect the iomega drive it opens a folder containing two files : autorun and IomegaEncrytionSetupv1.3 file.... When I open IomegaEncrytionSetupv1.3 file, it should ask me the password and unlock the drive. But instead it is showing me application setthigs window everytime and not asking for password.

I agree with TomGL2, you should contact Iomega and get their take on the problem. Or find another hard drive to save the data to by using your friends PC.

:geezer:

I have contacted Iomega but cannot solve the problem.. They are saying since I can access the hard disk on other laptops, there is no issue with the hard disk. They told me to contact HP customer care.. Any suggestions on the issue ???

does your usb port work with other devices?

With the Iomega drive disconnected from your laptop, go into Add/Remove Programs and remove the Iomega software that was installed previously.

Reboot the lappy.

Plug in the Iomega drive and see if you are now able to access the drive (this would be replicating the success with your friend's computer who did not have the software installed).

If this procedure is unsuccessful, see if re-installing the Iomega software brings any relief.

:) Y

C:\Program Files (x86)\Iomega\Iomega Encryption\Drivers\RemoteComms

RUN THAT FILE AFTER INSTALING IOMEGA SW !!!

Then connect hard disk, execute .exe SW as admin and password window will be displayed

Hola @JimCarryOn and :wpcm:

Thanks for your post and willingness to help! However, I think it's safe to say that a post that's not a had a reply in nearing 10 years has either been solved or they've moved on. ;)

Hope you enjoy your time here and as my late, great friend @Y kawika would say "Post When You Want and Help When You Can..........Y"

Tx 🤠