Sign in to follow this  
Twilight Phoenix

display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding

Hello Pitsters,

For the past few months I've been dealing with my nvlddmkm driver crashing at random intervals. I could be gaming, or simply browsing the internet. It doesn't matter what it is I'm doing, it's completely random. I've tried every software fix I could scour Google for to no avail. About a month ago out a random, desperate attempt to solve the issue I switched my PC to run in power saving mode from BIOS. After I made that selection the crashing stopped for a little over a month. I thought I'd solved the issue, even though it might have indicated an issue with my motherboard. Two days ago it started back up. I've crashed a total for four times in three days. Last night, I went ahead and reformatted the whole system hoping to correct this. According to event viewer, about an hour ago it crashed again and this time sitting idle without me on even on it. I'm desperate for any potential fix here. I need to solve this. While it's more annoying than anything, it's something I'm not going to be able to overlook.

What motherboard and BIOS revision, version of Windows (and 32 or 64-bit), video card and driver release? Any overclocking or "aggressive" RAM BIOS settings?

Perform a RAM test using MemTest86 or a similar utility.

Edited by TomGL2

Motherboard is Asus M5A97, BIOS revision 1208. Windows 7, 64-bit. GeForce 560 TI, and no overclocking done to the system.

I can't run a RAM test yet but I'll try and get that done as soon as I can.

Edited by Twilight Phoenix

no overclocking done to the system

That's possibly not the case, as this board incorporates automatic overclocking, and it's not clear how to ensure the CPU, RAM, and bus clocks are running at the design values.

I'd recommend installing the most recent motherboard drivers if you haven't done so already.

support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/raid_windows.aspx#2

The M5A97 has exhibited stability issues that Asus has addressed with a series of BIOS updates. I'd normally suggest updating the BIOS in view of this, but this board also has a history of failed BIOS updates, due to marginal BIOS chips that don't rewrite correctly. Updating the BIOS should be a last resort, in my opinion, and avoided if the board is out of warranty. I doubt that the BIOS is a factor, though.

Try the graphics settings recommended here.

blog.stevex.net/2007/03/display-driver-stopped-responding-and-has-recovered/#comment-197368

Rolling back to the native Windows driver has helped in a number of cases. Bad RAM, overheating, and graphics overclocking have all been implicated. "Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDI)", a feature introduced in Vista, apparently can diagnose a brief slowdown as a freeze and generate the error. The timeout can be increased by using a larger value for TdrDelay in the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers

TdrLevelRecover must be set to 3 for TdrDelay to be meaningful.

Edited by TomGL2

If there's an issue with BIOS flashing, then I'd rather avoid that if there's not much hope that's the issue. I've tried tons of drivers in hopes of correcting the error, to no avail. I'll give the registry edit a chance, but would you mind guiding me through it? I've never once willingly edited anything in my registry.

I also just installed the new AMD Chipset drivers.

I just used Microsoft's Fix It application for TDR errors when Googling this problem. We'll see what that does. But now I'm receiving an additional error that I've never had before. Windows Explorer keeps crashing on me. Seems to do it more often when I enter control panel. It started today, right after I installed the AMD Chipset drivers.

It's clear that Windows is somehow causing some (possibly the majority) of the errors, and there's no obvious reason for a BIOS update to change that.

Rather that edit the registry manually, use a registry script. Open Notepad, then copy & paste the text below.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers]

"TdrLevel"=Qword:3

"TdrDelay"=Qword:A

"TdrDdiDelay"=Qword:8

;

Click File and Save As. In the Save in list, click Desktop. In the File name box, type "TdrDelay.reg" (including the quotes). Click Save, then close Notepad. TdrDelay.reg should appear on the Desktop (don't worry if the .reg extension isn't visible). Drag the file to the top edge of the screen.

You'll need administrative rights to incorporate these settings. Open the Start menu, navigate to All Programs, then Accessories, then right-clcik Command Prompt and click Run As Administrator. Enter the Administrator password and click OK. Drag the window down if needed to make TdrDelay.reg visible.

Type REGEDIT /S followed by a space. Drag TdrDelay.reg into the command prompt window. You should see
REGEDIT /S pathtofileTdrDelay.reg.

where pathtofile is the route to your Desktop. Click once anywhere in the command prompt window, press Enter, and you're done. You probably need to restart the computer to apply the changes.

Edited by TomGL2

Hey, Tom. Thanks for getting back to me. I appreciate the reg edit script, but I didn't require it. Microsoft had an .exe that I ran, and it also delayed it to 8 seconds. So, we'll see if this TDR change helps at all. It could be a few days or a few hours before it crashes again, it's completely and utterly random.

One thing though, that AMD Chipset update seems to have caused instability. Ever since I installed it I've been receiving Window Explorer crashes, and they've never happened before. Should I revert back to the older drivers I was using before the update?

a weak power supply or a hard drive with a bad sector (sectors) could also cause these types of errors too

What brand name and wattage is the power supply and you can get the Ultimate Boot CD to diagnose the health status of your hard drive, you'll need to know who manufactured your hard drive in order to use the right program on the cd

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

that AMD Chipset update seems to have caused instability ... Should I revert back to the older drivers I was using before the update?

That's what I'd do. Probably the best strategy would be to restore to a time prior to the installation of the update, then run the Fixit 50848 tool again.

Been about a month now since my last crash, and tonight the display driver crashed on me. But it didn't go black, the application (Far Cry 3) just hanged and all I had to do was end the process. While it could be just a crash from the application itself, I thought I'd throw it up here. I won't know for sure until I crash again. Normally they come in clusters, so we'll see.

Twilight Phoenix, which video driver are you currently using? Is the motherboard still under warranty thru Asus? If the mobo is still under warranty I'd flash it to the latest BIOS 1302 > http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A97_R20/#download

Your video card should be on the 306.23 driver > http://downloads.guru3d.com/Nvidia-GeForce-306.23-WHQL-64-bit-download-2967.html

By the way...I've heard bad things about the AMD 970 Chipset boards and that's ALL of them. ;)

:geezer:

I'm currently running the 310.70 video drivers. As for the warranty, I'm not entirely sure. I did not purchase the motherboard through them, though their website states it's covered for three years which I've not yet passed. Problem is I'm not sure if I still have the serial number for it.

I'm starting to feel I'm up fecal creek without my proverbial paddle here. Seems as though unless I can find the means to begin replacing hardware it's simply something I'm going to need to make peace with and endure.

The serial number should be on a sticker on the motherboard. I'd try flashing it to the latest BIOS as that's supposed to increase stability...If it dies while attempting the flash, send it back to them RMA... Asus RMA Form

Well, I did flash it to latest BIOS once before well before I knew that this motherboard had an issue with it. I flashed to the 1201 BIOS version and it absolutely did not help me. It seems unlikely that 1301 will really be any different unless you've details on what this new update specifically addresses.

Shame on me...it's not the voltage that you want to set it's the PCI-e Frequency...Page 3-8 and 3-9 cover it I believe in your manual or you can download the English version from Asus and view it with Acrobat Reader/Foxit Reader or another PDF reader that you use...

Well. I return. I attempted to increase the core voltage of my GPU in an attempt to correct the issue. Within hours it crashed again while in Far Cry 3. Nvidia's forums, and a friend of mine, have some suggestions of upping the DRAM voltage as a way to eliminate the issue. Is this safe to do?

I see it was already mentioned. I had that issue one time. Ended up the power supply was not providing sufficient amps to the video card. Replaced the power suppy and never got the error again. Don't use driver 310.90 yet I hear some grumbling from others having issues with it, but not related to what you have going on.

Edited by edw6698