computer start-up

About a month ago I was getting a "no signal" on my monitor when I turned on my computer. The person I took it to said it was because my computer goes into hibernation after an hour and the ethernet light went out on the modem. He changed the setting so the computer stays on. Then a couple of weeks ago I had to have my power supply changed cause the old one quit. The start-up was ok for a couple of days, but since then, when I turn the puter on, it beeps once and shows no signal on the monitor, then beeps again opens to the page where you choose how to start your puter, safe mode etc. I have it set to start windows normally. My question is, why does it go to this page everytime instead of starting like it should? I'm running windows XP. Thanks for any help!!!

Nope, no keys are stuck

Are you using a video card or onboard video? You might try going into BIOS/Setup (generally tap Delete key at startup) and make sure its set to boot to the proper one.

example: AGP/PCI or PEG/PCI, (PEG stands for PCI-E)

:geezer:

caintry_ boy, I know NOTHING about computers. Have no idea about video cards. Does onboard mean on the mother board? Only reason I ask is casue the guy I take my puter too said something about it being on the mother board.

when I turn the puter on, it beeps once and shows no signal on the monitor, then beeps again opens to the page where you choose how to start your puter, safe mode etc.

The symptom indicates a likely power supply issue. In the sequence you describe, the system is powered up, but the video card locks up and fails to initialize due to below normal voltage. The voltage sag at powerup occurs because the initial inrush current exceeds the power supply's capabilities.

When the OS loader attempts to set the video mode early in the boot process, the video card is unresponsive and the loader performs a hard reset. Bus voltages have normalized by this time (the big capacitors causing the brief overload are now charged), so the video card and other devices power up normally, allowing the second boot attempt to proceed. That the first boot failed causes the options menu to be invoked.

A related cause may be that the video card requires an additional power connection that was overlooked when the power supply was swapped. Check the card for an unoccupied molex connector. In this scenario the basic cause is the same, the video card freezes due to below-spec voltage at powerup and works after a hard reset.

Edited by TomGL2

O.K. so you got a test posted with this link > http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=24641288&report=Summary

You're plainly running Onboard graphics shown here > DISPLAY Intel Corporation Intel® 82945G Express Chipse

Your test results need some work but that doesn't explain why when you start up it takes you to the "Boot Menu"...all I can think of at this point is that perhaps something in your settings has changed. Maybe TomGL2 will have an answer for you...

I can tell you this...go to your test page and on the first tab "Fixes" click on each "tip" to see how to fix each problem shown there. You seriously need to get SP3 on that machine ASAP, you can go to Windows Update and get it that way or you can download it from this page > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-xp-service-pack-3.aspx

Hi Caintry - The only thing that has changed was when my guy set the computer to NOT go into hibernation, it runs all the time. He also put a new power supply in. When it starts on the "boot page" I have it set "to start windows normally", should I change that at all? Maybe time for a new computer. I KNOW I should have SP3, but I'm hesitant cause I don't want to have any problems with the download, and also with this new problem would it be wise for me to try? Thanks for your help!

Hi Caintry - The only thing that has changed was when my guy set the computer to NOT go into hibernation, it runs all the time. He also put a new power supply in. When it starts on the "boot page" I have it set "to start windows normally", should I change that at all? Maybe time for a new computer. I KNOW I should have SP3, but I'm hesitant cause I don't want to have any problems with the download, and also with this new problem would it be wise for me to try? Thanks for your help!

Actually I've seen more problems on these forums caused by "hibernation/sleep mode" than you would ever believe. None of my rigs "hibernate/sleep", they all run 24/7 365 days/yr. I generally try to reboot them at least once weekly to clear the memory and things like that. My problem is that I just can't figure out why you get the "boot menu" with Safe Mode/Last Known Good Congiguration and all that when you start the PC. It just seems to me that it's a setting somewhere...but here's another thought...down in the system tray look at the clock and date, are they correct? Are you having to reset them to the correct settings? (this could mean a dying CMOS battery)

My other thought is that downloading and installing SP3 may help solve your problem. I'ma go look for some more help here...don't give up. ;)

O.K. dragonlady...suggestions from my friend and cohort in crime around here Y kawika...

Check your "Power Settings". Right click your desktop and select Properties/Screen Saver/Power Settings...be sure that "sleep" and "hibernate" are in fact turned off and that your settings are as they should be, "Always On" and monitor and hard drive never sleep.

After that if you're still having trouble, you may want to rebuild the Master Boot Record using this procedure > http://www.ykawika.com/noboot.html

Keep us informed on how you make out.....

Hi Caintry - Sorry, been busy the last couple days. The date and time are correct. I did go to the power settings, and everything is set to never shut off. I do turn my computer off at night because it's in my bedroom and don't want to hear the fans running. I thought I should mention that when I clicked on UPS it showed an exclamation mark and it says "service is currently stopped." Could this mean anything? When I turn computer on in the AM, it beeps once and "no signal" shows up for just a second on the monitor then it beeps again and that's when it goes to the bootup screen. I appreciate your help, but when it comes to making changes to my computer, I don't know enough and afraid I will get myself into a lot of trouble.....LOL Maybe if I take it back to the guy who put the power supply in and have him keep it for a couple days so he knows what I mean. Let's see what happens here first. Thanks again :)

I should mention that when I clicked on UPS it showed an exclamation mark and it says "service is currently stopped." Could this mean anything? When I turn computer on in the AM, it beeps once and "no signal" shows up for just a second on the monitor then it beeps again and that's when it goes to the bootup screen.

Nothing wrong with the power settings then, that just means that you don't have a UPS hooked up, or it could mean that if you do have a UPS that it's going bad...

When you start up in the a.m. it should beep once and then you get a POST screen and then the "flying window" and boot to desktop, NOT what you're getting now...have you checked that the monitor is connected securely to your PC and that the power cable to monitor is plugged securely?? Perhaps you could try another monitor if you have one or could borrow one, just to see if the problem persists...

• 1 year later...

About a month ago I was getting a "no signal" on my monitor when I turned on my computer. The person I took it to said it was because my computer goes into hibernation after an hour and the ethernet light went out on the modem. He changed the setting so the computer stays on. Then a couple of weeks ago I had to have my power supply changed cause the old one quit. The start-up was ok for a couple of days, but since then, when I turn the puter on, it beeps once and shows no signal on the monitor, then beeps again opens to the page where you choose how to start your puter, safe mode etc. I have it set to start windows normally. My question is, why does it go to this page everytime instead of starting like it should? I'm running windows XP. Thanks for any help!!!

In response to this problem, it turns out I had a corrupt memory. The man I take my puter too replaced it and added more memory. The problem is fixed!!!!!!