Drive 0 not found

Dell precision 390. I get a message when i boot saying drive 0 not found press f1 to try again. It is swiched on in the bios. I have had the hard drive showing up drive 2 and drive 4 but cannot find drive o. I have booted off the disk and it says setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on this computer.

Edited by mickyack

I have tried two. I am not sure were they go so have tried different ones. There are four slots on the mb together and there is one coming from near the cd/dvd but i cammot see were it starts.

I have just connected the data cable and in the hard drive diagnostics it is showing the hard drive in drive 0 but when i try to install the os it says that there are no hard drives installed. It is also now showing on the menu when i boot off the disk. I alo get the list were it says safe mode start normally, last known good config etc. I have tried all of them but it won,t boot.

Edited by mickyack

hard drive diagnostics it is showing the hard drive in drive 0 but when i try to install the os it says that there are no hard drives

That almost always means that there are no native Windows drivers for the SATA controller. You can switch the controller to IDE emulation mode, or use the F6 function to install the drivers before Windows Setup starts.

www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/precision-390?driverId=HCCN4&osCode=WW1&fileId=2731099925

Direct download —

downloads.dell.com/SATA/R158601.EXE

Run the program to extract the files, then copy the files from C:delldriversR158601 to a floppy disk. During the CD boot sequence, press F6 when prompted. Further prompts will appear before the Welcome to Setup screen appears. I'm assuming that you're installing XP...

it is showing the hard drive in drive 0 but when i try to install the os

This could also mean that you need to format the hard drive first. I've had instances like you describe where Windows wouldn't recognize a drive until I formatted it with Killdisk or the likes.

http://how-to-erase-hard-drive.com/downloadfree.htm

http://how-to-erase-hard-drive.com/guide.htm

:geezer:

I have installed xp but am left with the same old problem no internet connections. The ethernet controller etc.

I don't know what "The ethernet controller etc." is intended to indicate.

Click Start, right-click My Computer, click Manage, and click Device Manager. What devices are flagged with trouble icons? What is listed under Other Devices?

It seems likely that the network adapter drivers haven't been installed. They're all available for download from Dell.

www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/Product/precision-390

I have got prowin32 on a memory stick and when i try to install them i get an error message saying

THE PROCEDURE ENTRYPOINT ENCODE pointer COULD NOT BE LOCATED IN THE DYNAMIC LINK LIBRARY kernel32.dll Sorry about the caps i have just realised.

Edited by mickyack

The procedure entry point EncodePointer could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll

Due to sloppy programming, the installer requires that at least Service Pack 2 is installed. Likely the only thing "wrong" with your CD is that it's pre-SP2.

The error is completely avoidable, and occurs due to poor practises on the part of the programmer. Had Microsoft's guidelines been followed ("rely on the runtime installed on the host OS, as this version ... will be matched properly to ... the OS"), the installer would have worked even on the first XP release.

To bad you had to take the Vista route ...