A few problems

Hey all,

It's been a long time since i came here. I couldn't remember my info for the longest time.

I am currently having some problems with my machine. It's a Dell Inspirion i bought in 2006-07. In tel duo core 2.17gig with 2 gig of RAM, 32bit Vista.

So on to the problems.

First off, there seems to be a program that runs over and over. The mouse pointer will have the circle that shows something loading.

It runs then dissappears, then repeat. I thought i had it fixed, but i noticed again today.

Also, i cannot log in to some forums i visit, wether in Fifrefox or IE. My saved passwords and user name will be there and i will click on it. It will tell me thanks for logging in, but then will switch back to the log in page.

I tried running the tests at the PCPitstop test page. I had a bunch of problems trying the new tests. I got the old tests to run, but failed on the internet upload at the end. I tried it wireeless and wired.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

M arc

More problems.

my wife was trying to use a shopping cart, probably Amazon, and could not get it to update showing items installed. Browsers used were IE. firefox and Safari.

I tried a shopping cart on a differnt site on both Firefox and IE and it wouldn't work.

Now i am trying to load Malware bytes on my machine, but after i fill the circle to accept terms, i cannot press the install button (something won"t let me)

I'm going to try it in safe mode.

Download Malwarebytes from here > Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop, but rename it petro 116th.exe. Double click to install and when it finishes make certain that "Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" are checked .

Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.

When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.

Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location and post the results.

:geezer:

First off, thanks you caintry boy.

here are the results.

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 x86 NTFS

Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421

MARC :: MARC-PC [administrator]

8/8/2012 9:33:17 PM

mbam-log-2012-08-08 (21-33-17).txt

Scan type: Quick scan

Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM

Scan options disabled: P2P

Objects scanned: 225800

Time elapsed: 8 minute(s), 6 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

Well, that's a clean report from Malwarebytes so that means you have problems elsewhere...

Lets flush your DNS file. Do this:

Copy and paste these lines in Notepad and only Notepad...

@Echo on

pushdwindowssystem32driversetc

attrib -h -s -r hosts

echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS

attrib +r +h +s hosts

popd

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /flushdns

netsh winsock reset all

netsh int ip reset all

shutdown -r -t 1

del %0

Save as flush.bat to your desktop.

Double click on the flush.bat file to run it. Vista and Windows 7... right click the .bat file and choose to run as Administrator. Your computer will reboot itself.

Let us know how you make out...

:geezer:

Thanks again for the help.

I did the flush thing.

Shopping carts don't work, forum loggin for usual site doesn't work.

And my CA email protection is off and will not turn back on. Itwas on before the flush.

DO i even need the CA security auite now with Malware bytes?

No doubt something is off either windows has gone North for the Summer or you have a nasty hiding itself rather well.

I'm going to aim this suggestion at flushing out a possibly sly nasty malware hiding itself better than most.

I haven't played much with Malwarebytes for some time now so I'm not sure if it will do a boot scan or not. If it will tell it to do one otherwise I suggest you download Avast! from softpedia or another reputable source and install it and have it perform the boot scan that it is capable of doing.

I don't have Avast! in front of me here at work to give you the exact instructions but I am pretty sure it asks you during installation if you want it to perform a boot scan or a scan at startup before windows starts running. Be sure to say yes to that boot scan question or if it doesn't ask during installation open the program GUI after installation and check-mark whatever needs checking to make a boot scan happen. This scan will take a considerable amount of time.

your CA Suite installation is one year old.... as of August 3, 2012

this seems unusually coincidental to the August 5 date of your post.

I would go to add remove and uninstall any programs for CA Suite that are listed and give it one or two restarts to let Windows get happy with the changes from the uninstall and then see what happens. :note2:

Ok, oftentired, i removed CA and after a few quick tests, it seems that was the problem. But now, what about ananti virus program?

I tried to find that Avast!, but i got some zipp program instead that installed Internet turbo on my browsers, which are now removed.

Caintry boy, i will look into that.

Thanks again, both of you.