Change Mode

Linux on androids

I'm curious...

Linux systems are less suseptible to viruses - fact.

Androids operate on linux.

There are alot of android phones infected. One that I have seen several of are versions of the plankton trojan.

Granted... I know very little about Linux and less about smart phones - never had one myself.

My question is... what is different about Linux for PC's and Linux for androids that have seemingly made the phones so much more suseptible to infections? and in turn... are infecting pc's that they are "linked" to.

just to point out android "is" the linux operating system.

as you know any os can be infected and the mobile market just proves the point with linux.

to try and answer your question tho,

with my guesses. :mrgreen:

i'd say it's the the users choosing to give any app they download root privileges when they install them, linux users usually know a bit more about user/root privileges so are more wary when something asks to run as root.

probably the biggest reason tho is with linux pc's we usually get all our apps from 1 or 2 trusted repo's that have very good security checks in place, but the mobile market seems wide open and people just install any

app from anywhere that they like the look of, not even thinking it may be malware.

google themselves must get a large portion of blame too, seems i've read a lot about apps that are malware being sold from their official app store for months before getting flagged as malware and removed, that's a lot of phones infected from a site that should have been 100% bullet proof from malware.

:b33r:

should add most software is open source on linux so anyone can check the code(and lots of people do) but with mobiles most apps seem closed source so there's noway to actually check the code for something suspicious.

I'm curious...

Linux systems are less suseptible to viruses - fact.

Androids operate on linux.

There are alot of android phones infected. One that I have seen several of are versions of the plankton trojan.

Granted... I know very little about Linux and less about smart phones - never had one myself.

My question is... what is different about Linux for PC's and Linux for androids that have seemingly made the phones so much more suseptible to infections? and in turn... are infecting pc's that they are "linked" to.

The main difference is this.

A Linux computer operating system requires specific passwords to install any software, to change a file system, to alter any file that does not belong to the user or outside of the users home directory.

The android system can be set up that same way, however the manufacturers of devices choose not to ship systems that are set up with linux computer like security. In fact it simply takes one tap of the finger to allow any application from any source to be installed on an android device, couple that with the fact that people don't even take the time to read what access they are giving an application, what data that application may or may not be doing in the background, then certainly one can not expect that they would be cautious.

So it boils down to one thing, device makers are taking the same path that Microsoft did years ago. Giving user accounts full administrator privileges, letting applications make system changes and alter files in the system with no regard for basic common sense.

It has always been my contention that when any system is set up and used like a Linux computer system that it would be secure. After all it isn't that Linux has some magical immunity to malware. It is simply that it's basic design and permissions based configuration makes it secure.

I think if everyone followed the simple procedure of never using a computer system with administrator/root privileges, there would be no need for all the third party crap scan me, scrub me, douche me, clean me, repair me, it slices it dices ..............................software out there. they could just go about using their computers without spending money, time, resources and effort trying to put bandaids over gaping holes.

pretty simple really, it isn't the android system itself that is insecure, but the way that it is being used that is insecure.

Archived