Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signman

External Hard Drive Trashed After WIndows Updates

Just as the topic says....I came into work yesterday morning and both of my machines were on the login screen. ( Windows 7 and Windows Vista ) I knew that Windows updates were installed sometime during the night when I logged on because of the window telling me that they were installed. Well after a few minutes of workng...I noticed that one of my external hard drives wasn't showing up. I rebooted my Windows 7 machine but it still didn't show up. I unplugged the drive and replugged..and finally got it to show up but then WIndows said the drive needed to be formatted. The thing was working great before the updates. I went to DIsk Management and waited forever for it to connect then the disk shows to be in "raw" format..not NTFS. I've tried about everything I can think of to fix this ...even connecting to another computer and I also tried Ubuntu Live CD. I wanted to recover my files from the drive but I guess I'll just go ahead and reformat it. I only use the drive for backup of specific files and some Windows images. (I have two other external drives that I have the same files backed up to)Thanks Microsoft for trashing a perfectly good drive!