Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

Why cater to IE?

I remember a time when the excuse for PCPitstop catering to IE was that it had the greatest market share in fact it had the lions share of the market.

Well IE has been losing ground for several years, in fact it has lost so much ground that it doesn't even come close to the top two browsers.

Now I understand that more users likely go to the test site using IE. That is not because they want to, not because they are using IE as their default browser, but because they are forced to do so because of outdated, old, proprietary code called activex.

When is PCPitstop going to move into the 21st century and grow with technology?

It seems kind of odd to stick with such an old way of doing things when other browsers now dominate the market, not only do they dominate but they also run on just about every platform out there. I think it's time the pit developers wake up and get away from mid 1990's proprietary technology.

W3Schools browser statistics report http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Bruce,

Thanks for the constructive criticism. You are correct that our applications and scan on our website (betapit/overdrive) do in fact use activex which is old technology and there are different ways to do things now. However, you are making it sound like we're losing customers because our products only work with IE and most people don't use IE anymore. Our betapit (overdrive) scan on our website is such a microscopic piece of what PC Pitstop is doing and while we try to keep it up to date we certainly do not focus on it.

PC Matic, PC Magnum, Optimize, and Supershield are our large products. Those products also use IE and activex but you do not run those products through the browser and would never notice that they are using those technologies. Users launch an executable that runs on any windows machine and uses IE and activex in the background. We cater to windows machines because that's where the market share is and all windows machines come with IE and support activex so our products using those technologies is not an issue.

PC Matic and Optimize make performance changes to make firefox run faster and PC Magnum scans, displays, and cleans IE, firefox, and chrome browsing history, cookies, and cache files. Supershield works fine no matter which browsers are installed. We are supporting all the major browsers, the only thing that isn't supported is firing up firefox or chrome and trying to run the archaic "overdrive" or "betapit" scan which is not where we're directing users anyhow. We want users on PC Matic not overdrive. At this time it does not seem worthwhile to rewrite all of our scanning and cleaning code in another technology when most PCs do have IE and activex to run our code in our pitframe which is used by our applications. So really the only product that is affected by people not using IE is overdrive and if you go to our main page you'll see that that product is not emphasized at all.

Rob

Our betapit (overdrive) scan on our website is such a microscopic piece of what PC Pitstop is doing and while we try and keep it up to date we certainly do not focus on it.

That's too bad Rob...the old PIT Test is what brought me to the PC Pitstop site long ago in 2002. While visiting the main site and testing my PC to see what was "wrong" with it, I discovered a wonderful help forum and here I am... I would think if the Overdrive test were more "modern day" user/browser friendly that it could attract more people to run the test and then attract more people to our other products like PC Matic and PC Magnum and others...

Just my $0.02

:geezer:

That's too bad Rob...the old PIT Test is what brought me to the PC Pitstop site long ago in 2002. While visiting the main site and testing my PC to see what was "wrong" with it, I discovered a wonderful help forum and here I am... I would think if the Overdrive test were more "modern day" user/browser friendly that it could attract more people to run the test and then attract more people to our other products like PC Matic and PC Magnum and others...

Just my $0.02

+1 :tup: I can't recall the last time I purposley used IE.

I agree with what is being said by all. Many help forums send people here because of the "Old Pit test"... but rarely because of PC Matic or Magnum.

Also... a for what it's worth... the browser statics of users going to W3schools is probably not indicative of the "average" user on the internet. It has been my experience working on various forums that the majority of helpers at the forums do not use IE (this seems to have changed slightly as many helpers who use Windows 7 seem to be quite happy with IE 9)... but the majority of "victims" seeking help do. When this discution has taken place, for various reasons, on other forums - the site owners have pointed out the "visitors" (those just looking and not even bothering to register) are overwhelmingly IE users.

Perhaps this graph is a more realistic picture:

Posted Image

Hi

I am all for progress with programs and operating systems, but the likes of Bill Gates forget the one fundamental thing. It is my PC, not his. ( I do with it as I like, within the law. ) All program writers should keep this in mind and not hog valuable PC resources, to which many are often used a couple of times, and then the user closes that program, moves onto something else, but part of the programs stays in memory just in case. Wrong.

All programs should completely remove themselves once closed, flush out memory ready for what ever the user wises to proceed with; remember it his PC not the program writers.

This is why a universal "Boot and Close Program" is needed. It's main criteria should first read what is available, memory, processor speed, plus what is needed etc, then advise the user what is possible then load accordingly; then store this information to disk within the "Boot and Close Program" folder for ease of access. Anybody up for the challenge.

Regards

El Tel

I agree with what is being said by all. Many help forums send people here because of the "Old Pit test"... but rarely because of PC Matic or Magnum.

Also... a for what it's worth... the browser statics of users going to W3schools is probably not indicative of the "average" user on the internet. It has been my experience working on various forums that the majority of helpers at the forums do not use IE (this seems to have changed slightly as many helpers who use Windows 7 seem to be quite happy with IE 9)... but the majority of "victims" seeking help do. When this discution has taken place, for various reasons, on other forums - the site owners have pointed out the "visitors" (those just looking and not even bothering to register) are overwhelmingly IE users.

Perhaps this graph is a more realistic picture:

Posted Image

5 or 6 years ago that would be the grapgh to look at. Fact is IE has lost massive ground. It will soon be irrelevant. Caintry-Boy hit the nail on the head. It was the pit tests that always attracted people to the main site, and likely still would be if they didn't have to run IE as administrator ( something I am hesitant to do no matter what the site is) just to test their PC and get some relevant information. It was the pit tests that made it on television, not cheezy adverts but spots on tech shows that raved about the test site. That's what brought me to the pit back in 2000. The stats from the web sites I build monitor and maintain coincide with the w3schools stats.

Our betapit (overdrive) scan on our website is such a microscopic piece of what PC Pitstop is doing and while we try to keep it up to date we certainly do not focus on it.

You have purposefully made it microscopic.

This is very evident to anyone that goes to our main page looking to run a "Pit Test", or looking to see what PC Pitstop is all about. It is so flooded with "Pitstop" Spam that it has completely subordinated the reason that any of this financial success became possible in the first place.............. the Pit Test!

We've turned our backs on that which has allowed us to grow to this point. :mrsgreen:

I believe that this thinking needs to be completely reworked.

Highlight, update and emphasize the Pit Test and make it more useful again and you will increase the amount of traffic and then "sales" of your other products because of it.

Being able to use the Pit Test on any browser would be a great step forward.

I also believe that using this "free" utility (Overdrive) will also be a great marketing strategy.

Don't bury it, resurrect it, bring it to the forefront and make it easier for all to use.

:) Y

Hey Guys,

Back in the day, the Pit Test and later called OverDrive was before we began to make our own products. We had traffic but we had no revenue. If it were not for Optimize, PC Matic and so on, there would not be any OverDrive at all because we would have gone out of business many years ago. It was not possible to run the site on advertising revenue alone.

So we made PC Matic and also Optimize. PC Matic from a technical standpoint is quite similar to the OverDrive scan. PC Matic uses a proprietary technology called the PitFrame, which is essentially an IE wrapper. From the PitFrame, you can scan your PC for free (same as OverDrive) and then also if the users desires, from the Pitframe, you can also fix the PC (something that OverDrive could never do).

So if you just want to do a great free scan of your computer, then the hope is that people would run the free scan of PC Matic.

The other issue with OverDrive is making work on all other browsers. Since all other browsers do not support Active X, nor do they support any any real alternatives, I think the only solution was as we did with PC Matic which uses the embedded IE which is part of every version of Windows. So it is essentially browser independent.

Being able to use the Pit Test on any browser would be a great step forward.

I also believe that using this "free" utility (Overdrive) will also be a great marketing strategy.

Don't bury it, resurrect it, bring it to the forefront and make it easier for all to use.

:) Y

'nuff said :tup:

Might add that the only thing I use IE for is to run the Overdrive Test, and only then because I have to...I like to run Overdrive because it shows me how my CPU and RAM stack up against others and shows my disk speed. Tells me what programs/software is on my rigs or on a rig that I'm repairing for someone else and it doesn't run up the number of PC's on my PC Matic license. ;)

CB,

Please run the PC Matic free scan and see whether it does everything you want it to do. There will also be a lot more reports that are not included in OverDrive.

Rob, it does do everything I want it to do..

It would just be a whole lot nicer IMO if Overdrive were Firefox, Chrome and Safari friendly and as Tomk_ pointed out other forums send people here to test their PC's and when they do, we force them to use antiquated software (activeX) and IE...

PC Matic isn't as intuitive to use as Overdrive IMO.

I understand where you're coming from tho'...

i think the bottom line is that it would likely not be cost effective at this point to change the architecture of the software the pit uses. given that all the offerings are geared towards windows and that all windows computers come with internet explorer and activex (as stated several times), the business reasoning behind it is about as logical as you can get.

Edited by badbinary

Rob, I tried the PCMatic, and it asks me to open a Windows .exe file. I'm on Linux.

Maybe you should open up the testing sites to include other browsers than IE, and even other OSes like Linux and Mac.

What brought me here back in the day was PC World mag (do you still partner with them?).

But the only thing that keeps me here is the fine Linux forum.

To be able to run the scans and speed tests on Linux would be great, and might bring more people in.

But then again, I do understand.

Most people run Windows, and most of them run IE. Most people don't run Linux, which is why the virus-writing :filtered:s don't target it.

However, if you are going to stay Windows-based, you really should become more Firefox-friendly, or even Chrome or what's it called Opera?.

People with no PC savvy at all use IE, they even still use AOHell. It takes a bit of knowledge to even know about this site. You're hurting the site if you don't include other Win browsers.

That's just my humble opinion, take it for what it is.