Sign in to follow this  
rfoster300

Internet Problem with Gateway netbook

I have a Windows XP home addition net book that I use when I travel. Problem, I took it out of the bag and now it won't sign onto the internet. I use a wifi connection to my router and I am getting 5 bars and my other three computers ar working fine off the same net work. The unit sent 9 packets and nothing received. I have useed the repair tool that windows provides which can't solve the problem.. Any help would be appreciated. :yikes:

On any two of the computers that have Internet access, click Start and Run, then type cmd /k ipconfig and press Enter. Note the values for IP address, subnet mask and gateway. The IP addresses should be nearly the same, with just one digit slightly different.

Perform the procedure on the problem netbook. Are the subnet mask and gateway identical to the those obtained previously? Does the IP address share the similarities of the other two, with one varied digit?

Just a thought......you say you use it when you travel.....is it trying to connect to your home router or a different wifi connection? I've done that before with my netbook....for me it was just a matter of selecting the correct wifi connection.

Thanks for staying with me, in and out today. Checked my other computers and their data follows your guide, however the problem machine is like this...

dns sufix----------Blank

ip address ------------------169.254.55.20

subnet mask----------------255.255.0.0

default gatway-------------Blank

Computer 1

dns sufix-----------------domain.actds1temp

IPv4 address-----------192.168.0.2

subnet mask 255:255:255.0

Default gateway 192.168.0.1

Computer 2

Same as above except IP address is 192.168.0.3

ip address ------------------169.254.55.20

This is an address randomly chosen from the "link local" block (169.254.0.0 – 169.254.255.255 range), but router would usually assign an address in the 192.168.0.x range (using DHCP). That the router has been unable to assign an address suggests that DHCP isn't working on the netbook.

You can check in services.msc that the DHCP client is enabled and running. You can also manually set an IP address in the wireless connection's TCP/IP settings. Use 192.168.0.4 (or higher) as the address, use the same mask and gateway, and ignore the DNS suffix.

I checked services.msc and the DHCP client is set to automatic, not working under automatic, your second suggestion did get me on line.

Next Question is there a way to repair the automatic DHCP client??

You've been Great thanks

shows connected but still can't get internet

Apologies in advance, might be due to an omission on my part. On an Internet-connected system, repeat the procedure in my initial post, but change the command to

cmd /k ipconfig /all

Note the values shown for DNS Servers. In the wireless connection TCP/IP properties on the netbook, enter these values in the primary and alternate DNS server boxes. If you still cannot connect, substitute the Google public DNS server addresses, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.