Keyboard problem in open SUSE 12.1

KurtBleach

Well, obviously, my keyboard is working to type this thread. The problem is: whenever I try to install anything (Flash, for example) that requires me to enter my root password into a dialog box, no action at all. How do I fix this?

are you talking about when your in a terminal after doing "su" and nothing appears on the password line? if so this is correct nothing will show up but whatever your typing is still being entered.

not sure about dialog boxes tho in 12.1, ie. after you click on yast. far as i know you'll see stars for each key press.

:b33r:

There should be no need to "install flash" as it is installed during the system install or the very first time the system updates which of course is when you install the OS.

As for the not seeing anything when typing root password that is correct, you don't see anything, this is by design. The behavior is normal, after you type the password even though you don;t see it, just press enter.

To install flash, I grab the .so file and place it in the appropriate directory, but I suppose that is just a personal preference....

Yes, the password will not show in the terminal window when entering your root password, this is a standard UNIX/Linux thing. It should show up if you entering in a graphical prompt, however.

Weird how I installed Flash. I tried through the normal (in windows, I'd better lose that thought) method, I tried through the Adobe site - but Flash is now installed because I went to my Yahoo e-mail and Firefox said "install missing plugins". When it asked for my root password, it did enter, although masked by dots. When I try to play CDs/DVDs, the app will ask for the password and nothing shows up. I press Enter and I get denied permission.

Oh well, live and learn - you guys are great on here.

I'll figure this stuff out someday.

Edit: OK, this is really strange. Now when I open an app and it asks for my root password, the dots show up as I enter it. This was in Kaffeine. However, it ended up saying that it can't play DVDs due to legal issues. Which app should I use to play DVDs?

Edited by KurtBleach

it's not a player problem, they will all let you watch dvd's.

it's a codec/drm problem, you need to install "libdvdcss2" before being able to watch dvd's in the player of your choice..

personally i like to install and use "vlc" too

again i urge you to watch and read all the tutorials here. :- it's bruces site and his tutorials :- http://itsyourpc.org/tutorials.html

yes they are for an older suse but the process and info is still relevant today with 12.1 in most if not all instances.

the only place i usually get my software from is the suse and community repo's you'll find listed in yast under software repositories.

also don't get in the habit of entering your root password every time you get a popup box asking for it,

you need to learn to expect the box to appear asking for root permissions because you know what your doing is going to/might need the elevated permissions that using root gives, if it ever appears and your not expecting it then red flags should start flying in your brain.

it's partly this separation of user and root that makes linux safer than a windows pc so don't go throwing that extra safety in the bin by entering the root password willy nilly.

if you don't know why you got the password elevation popup then always google or ask before just entering the password.who knows one day it may be malware that's trying to install itself on your pc.

safety is also one reason why i usually only install software that's in the suse/community repo's too.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

Install missing plugins is a feature of FireFox that is found across all platforms.

The best way to install software is to use your package manager/repositories. For Ubuntu I use Synaptic/aptitude, for SuSE you will go through YaST/Zypp. This ensures you are getting trusted software that should work. Adding repositories will customize your "app market" (because basically, the graphical package manager is just like using a smart phone app store) by adding additional software. For instance, say I add the repository for Clementine music player, I can now install it through the package manager if it wasn't listed before and when I get updates via the update manager, any updates for that software will also now be available.

The way I install flash is to take the installation file (libflashplayer.so) and put it in /home/.mozilla/plugins and now I have flash on my system (for my user only).