I have 3 Browsers on my computer. Internet Explorer 9, Google Chrome, and Firefox. I am completely bias on all of them and ran an experiment on SPEEDTEST.net. I ran three test each on each browser at the same location. Google Chrome states it's faster and wants you to download it. As it turns out, the fastest internet speed and not an average, was Firefox, which was only about 1,000mbps under number 2, Internet Explorer, and the slowest was Google Chrome, 3-5,000mbps slower than Internet Eplorer 9.

If any of you are running 2 or more browsers and have time to test, please post and let us all know what browser is actually faster and not what Google Chrome claims that it is. I'm also wondering if it's my computer and get different variations from other computers running Windows 7 64bit.

speedtest doesn't measure the speed of your browser, it measures the speed of your internet connection only.

a browsers speed is calculated by how long it takes each of them to open the same new web page, and to be honest i don't think there's enough of a difference between most of them for you to notice.

i say just use whatever browser you like the look/layout of, and forget about any "speed" claims made by the different makers.

:b33r:

Hey terry1966, thanks for your reply! Unfortunately I do beg to differ with you and so does Google Chrome. Beleive me I am not talking air. I did my research and browsers do make a difference in download and upload speeds. Give it a try and see for yourself! Actually they don't make much difference in uplad speeds but some considerable differences in downloads. :coffee: :coffee:

sorry to say i think you need to do a bit more research then. ;)

Well you say yourself lol, " a browsers speed is calculated by how long it takes to open the same new web page'" so if other browsers open the same web page faster doesn't that make the for faster browser? And this is the whole point! I know that internet test are to see how fast youir internet connection to your computer is, but doesn't it have to go through your browser 1st, and isn't 2-3000 mbps a difference between browsers/ Enlighten all of us please! Anybody out there that would like 2-3000 mbps slower through there browser? I know I don't, lol. Maybe you should try what I ask you to do on this thread instead criticizing it to get what I am talking about! This is not political forums :b33r:

not criticizing just trying to explain that the browser has no effect on your connection speeds, upload or download.

if you understood a bit more about the web and how it works you'd understand your web browser is at the end of a lot of connections and it's those connections that effect your speeds and not your browser.

browser speeds are based on it's render speeds/etc after it's received the data from the internet, not the speed those data signals are transferred from web sites to the browser.

sorry if you don't believe me but like i said please do some more research using google to verify this yourself.

ok, so you think it's your browser that gave you a 1,000 Mbps difference.. :tup:

Edited by Y kawika

Where does your internet come in through? Your browser! You said it yourself! If a browser will open the pages faster than other browsers, than that would be a faster browser. That is what I am saying. Can you tell me of another test for your browser that you don't have to use an internet speed test? Put it on and stop arguing with me! This is not Political Discussions Ok! I have been aroound a lot longer than you and have built several comnputers and participated in forum wars, both summer and winter wars and do have some knowledege about computers and don't need you or your clan from political discussions hogging my threads and being rude. So do me a favor and get the info I asked you about TEST for Browser speed besides internet speed test ok chap!!!

Where does your internet come in through? Your browser! You said it yourself! If a browser will open the pages faster than other browsers, than that would be a faster browser. That is what I am saying. Can you tell me of another test for your browser that you don't have to use an internet speed test? Put it on and stop arguing with me! This is not Political Discussions Ok! I have been aroound a lot longer than you and have built several comnputers and participated in forum wars, both summer and winter wars and do have some knowledege about computers and don't need you or your clan from political discussions hogging my threads and being rude. So do me a favor and get the info I asked you about TEST for Browser speed besides internet speed test ok chap!!!

sorry but it's not my fault that even with your vast years of experience with computers, you didn't understand what your results meant when you used speed test.

i wasn't being rude, just trying to teach you something.

anyway here's some browser test for you.

http://peacekeeper.futuremark.com/

http://www.webkit.or.../sunspider.html

now you can compare your 3 browsers and at least the results will have something to do with browser speed.

1 caveat tho,

All browser tests deliver different results depending on the type and structure of testing and the focus of their measurement, though the tendency of results seems always to be the same. JavaScript and JavaScript engine speed in general are not the only criteria to evaluate the speed of a browser. Loading and rendering speed for a specific website via the Internet, memory consumption, hard disk storage consumption, start-up speed and so on should also be considered to rate the performance of a browser but are normally not included in online browser speed tests.

http://en.wikipedia....wser_speed_test

my results

peacekeeper scored 1531 running firefox 13 on linux. (pc running at 100% cpu usage doing other things)

sunspider 0.9.1 scored Total: 221.2ms +/- 12.8% running firefox 13 on linux. (pc running at 100% cpu usage doing other things)

Edited by terry1966

T erry I beleive there is a miss-understanding here, maybe i am unable to deliver what i mean and not saying you are wrong. It is a fact that some web browsers can render pages faster than others due to the fact of filtering, and if they can make the use of compression. Those that do not use compression can affect how fast web pages are opened. So actually some web browser can be faster than others, and not saying it will change your internet connection speed by your ISP. Can we agree with that?

Also some browsers use multiple servers to get the web page faster. What I am trying to find out which one is faster and I based it upon running three test in a row with each browser the same exact distance. There was a difference in the speed test based mostly based on compression which will affect internet speed, but not the speed provided by the isp.

Edited by Geil8500

yes i totally agree with you that some browsers are faster than others, where wires got crossed i think is on the usefulness of speedtest to actually show those differences.

i don't think the speed differences between browser are actually noticeable by the user when using each browser, but they do bring bragging rights to each maker if they claim the top spot. :D

those 2 links tho, should at least give you a like for like comparison of how each browser compares to each other when everything else is the same. internet connection/pc specs. etc. for the few things they do test.

be interested in your results too.

sorry i don't know of a more complete test suit so you can test more things like cold/warm start of the browsers.

Edited by terry1966

Here, Here! Sorry for the miss-understanding. Yes I will post those comparisons soon as I get a chance as it will take a little time to do. It seems like to me so far Firefox opens web pages faster, almost like instant, and Google Chrome is slower. Sometimes too slow, but there may be many factors involved with that and would like to find out what it is. I have a full schedule right now but will post the differences later. Also I am only running wireless in my home, and that may also be a factor of sorts. :)

speedtests site would not be a good browser benchmark. The site is flash based. It wouldn't even be a good test of flash.

There are flash speed tests out there if flash is what one wishes to test.

I am not aware of a single browser benchmark that would be a good test of browser speed.

Browser speed is a subjective thing, not an objective one. Every web site out there has different elements, different content, and different coding methods, non compliant pages, compliant pages, pages with horrible code designed to favor one browser over another, pages that have proprietary requirements that don't work at all in some browsers. Pages with codecs that are not supported in all browsers/operating systems.

There are way too many variables to get reliable results, way too many variables to even get consistent results, some servers push data faster then others, some servers get easily overwhelmed, some servers just plain suck........................

My method of testing a browser is to use it, see if it provides the features and reliability that I need, and then just use it.

this thread put a smile on my face and made me chuckle a little bit.

Hello Geil8500

My name is Vishal and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell. I would suggest you to use Mozilla firefox as it's been observed lately certain updates cause conflicts with IE9. So you can use mozilla as a primary browser and use IE9 as a backup browser.

Thanks

Dell-Vishal S

Hello Geil8500

My name is Vishal and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell. I would suggest you to use Mozilla firefox as it's been observed lately certain updates cause conflicts with IE9. So you can use mozilla as a primary browser and use IE9 as a backup browser.

Thanks

Dell-Vishal S

Can you quantify this please?

Certain updates to what cause what conflicts with IE9?

As this was about browser speed, I'm not sure what value your comment has added to thread.

End of the day it does not matter which browser is the preference/used, regardless your actual ISP set-up/purported service you pay for in my experience...

--------------

Baring in mind always prudent to keep whatever used up to date(and this includes Internet Explorer, regardless if used or not as having any out of date software installed is a security risk hence a wise move to have automatic updates from Microsoft enabled and or check manually every few weeks. Or visit say Secunia Online Software Inspector periodically to ensure all third party software is upto date)

--------------

Reason being every machine is different and the software installed and what ever browser add-on's/extensions, create a nigh on unique machine if you will. How the machine is used online/every day use etc will make a difference all told also...These salient facts are often not taken into consideration and if thought about makes for a lot of sense...

Anyway just my humble opinion folks. ;):)