Unity

adam22

It obviously requires adjustment but here's my quick take...only have had it on the hard drive for a few hours.

Inconvenient to browse my apps, far more so than previous gnome or current kde setups.

Can't move the stupid dock, though I can hide it.

Hell of a time figuring out how to add a panel, would like a bottom one.

Just doesn't make sense to me. Has only slowed down my efficiency and taken away from my overall experience. Gnome 2 was best!

you are mistaken my young friend....unity absolutely rocks!

i personally love it.

yes it rocks so much that canonical have started promoting how easy it is to change desktop environments with ubuntu to stop people using other distros. :laughing:

http://www.h-online.com/open/features/Unity-alternatives-the-many-desktops-of-Ubuntu-1614860.html

:b33r:

you are mistaken my young friend....unity absolutely rocks!

i personally love it.

it rocks so much that i took it off my laptop and went back to 11.04 so i can customize it the way i want. i hate unity

Edited by dog_soldier

Decided to install cinnamon to see how it works with ubuntu. It functions, but I hit a road block.

I know how to install cinnamon themes. How do I install a gtk+ theme (which will basically change the window borders/panels)?

adam, do you have gnome-tweak-tool installed? if not, then get it.....after it installs it will be called "advanced settings"

change your gtk themes, window themes, icons and a lot of other things using that tool. of course you do have to install the themes first using synaptic, apt-get, or the software center. then open "advanced settings" to make the changes.

also, there is the "myunity" package which you can use to change some theme settings (not as many as the advanced settings app), as well as some options for the unity launcher, dash and the top panel.

Edited by numerounoyankeefan

Thanks for the tip. I've used that program in the past. Typically though I am familiar with installing themes by extracting the zip folder into the .themes directory.

I believe after installing the gtk2 theme 'Moomex' and applying it as the window theme...and then rebooting, it has made the changes I wanted. However, any theme I install does not show up under gtk theme drop down menu which is odd.

At any rate, call me stubborn, but I insist that GNOME2 ('classic') was far more efficient and easier to customize than this stuff.