Sign in to follow this  
badbinary

my radeon 6870

the fan is dying on it. i noticed that it would occasionally spike to 100+ degrees, and twice it's shut my computer down now. recently i stuck my hand in there during one of these spikes and found the fan moving then stopping then moving then stopping...meanwhile i had the fan speed set to stay at 100%.

it's an xfx model HD-687A-ZHFC. i would like to go with the cheapest solution, which is to simply retain the current heatsink and simply replace the fan, but i'm having trouble finding the correct fan to replace. i've found a couple potential solutions on newegg and coolerguys, but comments about them state they had to pretty much jury-rig them to get them to fit due to screw hole sizes / placements.

i also have a xfx 4870 with the same situation (except the fan doesn't work at all on this one).

any suggestions?

well, found my old box (thankfully i saved it) and registered the card...xfx agreed to just send me a fan and i'll replace it....that'll give me the least amount of downtime. i'll definitely get one of those 4870 fans...10 bucks for a working 4870? hell yeah, it's still a decent card.

so...xfx not only sent me a fan, but another identical 6870!!!

crossfired 6870's? yes please. :D

so...xfx not only sent me a fan, but another identical 6870!!!

crossfired 6870's? yes please. :D

Dayum!! Someone else getting lucky today as well, first a guy over in the O/C forum reports that The Egg credited him for a CPU and is shipping another without requesting the original to be sent back and now you get a free vid card... :facepalm:

:geezer: