mshtml.dll missing or corrupted on Win 7 PC, IE 9

I'm having a problem with mshtml.dll on my Dell Inspiron PC with IE 9. I'm using MSN as my browser and contacted their Tech Support which correctly diagnosed the problem from Screen Shots I provided of the usual Error notices, 'We're sorry but we must close your program...' or 'Out of Memory at Line whatever', etc. etc. BUT then they bucked me off to the MS Windows Techs and I didn't get very far with them either. Am I the only one who feels outraged that these people want to sell us products but after we fork over the bucks they hang us out to dry? PLEASE get back to me with as simple a fix as possible for this mshtml.dll problem which to make the matter of the inadequacy of Microsoft's techies even more disgusting (unless you want to pay a whopping fee) as you all must know is a MOST COMMON problem with Windows with IE9 and MSN likewise. This problem RUINS one's Online experience as all those familiar with the problem well know. Again PLEASE provide me that Fix that Microsoft so shamefully doesn't feel any obligation to help its Customers with!

First, you must understand that DELL, not Microsoft, is legally obligated to provide support. As part of the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) agreement, the OEM assumes all support responsibilities in exchange for a substantial discount on the Windows software.

It is important to provide reasonably complete information about any errors — "Out of Memory at Line whatever" is obviously not helpful. Quote the complete and exact error messages, including any addresses and parameters. In addition, note the time and check the Event Viewer for application errors that occurred then. For problems with a Web browser, the Web site itself may be the culprit.

As related I provided Screen Shots to MSN Tech Support and they diagnosed the mshtml.dll problem immediately. Going online to research the problem I discovered as I've related that it is quite common with the Win7 IE9 configuration. I just tried a File Recovery but it could not locate the File which would lead me to suspect that it may have been corrupted or deleted by another program. So the question becomes How to restore the mshtml.dll file. A regular File Search result was similar suggesting that the file had either been removed or was corrupted. It's a crucial file for working Online. MSN Tech as related bucked me back to Microsoft Tech and provided me phone numbers to try. I'll do that if necessary but I thought to check in here as again this is confirmed as being a very commonplace problem and I was sure therefore that someone could provide me the fix required almost immediately.

Uninstall and resinstall Internet Explorer 9, then install the latest cumulative security update, which is described in MS12-023 (KB2675157). That's all I can do with what I've been given.

I requested the essential error message details and event log information, which you seem unwilling to provide. if you do not give the information we ask for, you cannot reasonably expect timely responses, let alone particularly useful ones.

I believe you have pinpointed the problem as resident in IE 9. I do indeed have the KB2675157 installed but what I can do further with that I have no idea. I believe IE9 is the problem because I cannot even get it to open as Internet Connection nor have I been able to find it in the Programs listed for Installation/Uninstallation so that I could follow your directive and Uninstall and then Reinstall. I Downloaded IE 9 from the Microsoft Site but I was unable to install it because I got a message saying that the version already installed is a Newer version. I have always used MSN Explorer instead of IE so I never paid much attention to IE until I started having this problem with mshtml.dll. It's obviously NOT functioning correctly but if I can't Uninstall it WHAT can I do now

to remedy this most disturbing situation??? (When I say that I cannot even get it to open as Internet Connection what I mean is that I cannot Click on it and have it Load and Dial a Connection,

I must assume that it is indeed Corrupted therefore. I can click on the MSN Icon I installed and that connects me to MSN and some sites will open IE because they are resident on same BUT

again I cannot click on the IE icon and have it Connect or even provide me much information. And please understand that I am NOT a Programmer or Computer expert, I just USE my computer

like so many other folks and I rely on Experts to help when there are problems. I do hope you can be of further help in remedying this problem.)

Would have wished to provide the Screen Shots of the Errors and thought I could move the icons on here to that end but that doesn't seem to work cause they simply open up when I attempt to do that. Is there another way I can provide the Error messages to you here? I thought i might be able to copy and paste the Text but that's not possible from a Screen Shot either it seems. ?????

Would have wished to provide the Screen Shots of the Errors and thought I could move the icons on here to that end but that doesn't seem to work cause they simply open up when I attempt to do that. Is there another way I can provide the Error messages to you here? I thought i might be able to copy and paste the Text but that's not possible from a Screen Shot either it seems. ?????

Make the screen shots and save. Upload to http://imageshack.us

Use the "Forum thumbnail" link...

:geezer:

From windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/how-do-i-install-or-uninstall-internet-explorer-9.

Click the Start button Picture of the Start button, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.

Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.

Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.

1) I did find that modus for Uninstalling IE9 but I did not notice a means of then Reinstalling it as you advised me earlier. Will I be able to do that and HOW.

2) I do have the KB2675157 Windows Update installed successfully.

3) As related I provided Screen Shots to MSN Tech and they diagnosed the problem as msthml.dll but then they bucked me back to Microsoft Tech for help dealing with that problem.

4) The mshtml.dll problem confirmed here are other Error Messages I've received:

0x64c2e670 referenced memory at 0x0000000 The memor could not be read. Click OK to terminate the program.

The instruction 0x6957cae5 referenced memor at 0x0000000. The memory could not be read

Out of Memory at Line 1 (other lines are referenced in other such messages.)

Again, I cannot get IE9 to Connect to the net but would have to use my MSN link to connect and then I can get into IE9 from there. This is not as it should be so I must assume there is corruption of IE9. Hopefully that can be remedied by the Uninstall and Reinstall modus you've advised but again I need to know HOW to Reinstall before I go ahead with that.

Lastly I DID try to get help from Dell and they fluffed me off by saying that my Computer is not eligible for service when in fact I JUST BOUGHT it from them about 6 or 7 months ago and have not even finished paying for it yet. PLEASE accept my veracity when I tell you hos DISGUSTING this is that everybody wants to buck you off to somebody else in the Microsoft family although it may very well be that the people in the one sector don't know how to deal with a problem but only diagnose it. BUT again PLEASE try to be of help to me because this is all very upsetting and again I must tell you that EVERYBODY I know who is computer savvy told me to Dump Microsoft and the PC for that matter and go with Mac or Linux for exactly the reasons I've given. Dell is not well recommended either because they now provide only part programs so as to get you to give them more bucks for the whole thing. I didn't know that when I bought this new Inspiron from them or i would NOT have done so. But again all this noted, I would appreciate your understanding that I came here to the Pitstop Forum in the belief I could find the expertise I need to provide the help I can't seem to get directly from Microsoft. And Oh Yes, if you do a search you will find that I am absolutely right that mshtml.dll is a very wide spread problem with many pages about it and Who knows which party or remedy that is offered is on the level or effective???? A little PITY on us Consumers who are NOT Computer Programmers or Savants, Please.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

My name is SUBHANKAR and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell.

It seems to be an issue either with the memory or with internet explorer 9.

Considering it to be an issue with IE9, would request you to please uninstall IE9 from control panel & then restart the system.

Restarting the system will automatically load INTERNET EXPLORER 8 & then check whether the issue has been fixed.

If not then it’s an obvious case with the memory of the system that need to be replaced.

Hope that would take care of your concern.

Thanks,

DELL-Subhankar S