Sign in to follow this  
BlksnshN

Thinking of building my own PC.

Double check that the RAM is installed just right, and see if you get anywhere.

Okay, I pulled both sticks of RAM and reinstalled just one of them in slot A1. Hooked the monitor and power back up. Hit the power button, got 1 quick beep and then an ASUS screen asking to press DEL or TAB . I didn't have a keyboard hooked up so I couldn't advance any further, so I hooked up the keyboard but nothing happened when I hit DEL. I shut the system back off and tried to start it again with the keyboard already hooked up but now I'm back to where I started, black screen, no beep.

Edited by BlksnshN

O.K., unplug the PC. Touch the side of the case and remove the CMOS battery. See manual for location of Clear CMOS jumper too and move it. Leave for about 30 seconds and put jumper back on "Normal", reinstall battery. Try booting again.

:geezer:

O.K., unplug the PC. Touch the side of the case and remove the CMOS battery. See manual for location of Clear CMOS jumper too and move it. Leave for about 30 seconds and put jumper back on "Normal", reinstall battery. Try booting again.

Tried it. Still no luck.

You showed that there is life in the board, sounds like something isn't hooked up just right most likely. I'd power the computer down, reinstall the RAM, hook up the keyboard and power it back up. Verify that there is no dust or debris in the CPU socket too (before powering back up of course).

Edited by charlesrose

I have reinstalled the RAM at least 4 four times now with no luck. Unless I'm doing it wrong, which I don't think I am since it's pretty straight forward.

I haven't pulled the CPU back out yet, If I do, will I have to clean and reapply more Arctic Silver?

Yes you will.

Have you ever fired up a board outside of a case?

Caintry's got a "how-to" floating around here somewhere........... hey cowboy, post yer link, will ya!? :lol:

This thing is behaving like a short is active somewhere, or a circuit isn't completeing.

:) Y

Yes you will.

Have you ever fired up a board outside of a case?

Caintry's got a "how-to" floating around here somewhere........... hey cowboy, post yer link, will ya!? :lol:

This thing is behaving like a short is active somewhere, or a circuit isn't completeing.

No this is my first build.

Well, you're doing great, just keep that impulse to slam everything against the wall under control and we'll get through this. ;)

I guess ol' caintry's out feeding the chickens or roping them cattle or what-ever it is that cowboy does...........

found his link here: http://forums.pcpits...ter-wont-start/

Hang in there and enjoy the adventure as much as you can.

I think I got it fixed. I re-installed the CPU with some new thermal paste. It posted and went to BIOS, changed the boot order and now I'm installing windows.

CPU is recognized at 3.4ghz

All of the RAM is being recognized.

Thank you all for the help today, hopefully it will continue to work. I get to go through it again tomorrow when I get the graphics card.

Edited by BlksnshN

So, everything is up and running. Couple questions.

I downloaded the most recent BIOS for my MB. Should I update it or just leave it be since it is running good? Or should I just insert the ASUS disc that was included with the board?

I'm also only seeing about half of my hard drive space. I can see the other partition in disk management but there is no option to name it.

Take a look at what the updated BIOS will bring when you flash it. If it's something that you feel will improve what you have now, then flash it. If not, just label it & save it, in case you need it later with newer hardware, etc.

Congrats on getting it up and running! :clap:

I think I got it fixed. I re-installed the CPU with some new thermal paste. It posted and went to BIOS, changed the boot order and now I'm installing windows.

CPU is recognized at 3.4ghz

All of the RAM is being recognized.

Thank you all for the help today, hopefully it will continue to work. I get to go through it again tomorrow when I get the graphics card.

:banana2::banana3::banana2:

When you get the video card go back into BIOS and set it to use the PCI-E/PEG save to CMOS and exit. While exiting BIOS shut down the power, and unplug the PC, install the video card and restart. You'll want to have the latest drivers on hand for the vid card >

Win 7 32bit > http://downloads.gur...nload-2916.html

Win 7 64bit > http://downloads.gur...nload-2917.html

Win XP 32bit > http://downloads.gur...nload-2915.html

edit: check PM's

Well, it just went right back to the original problem.

When I pulled the CPU earlier to re install it, The CPU came out when I pulled off the heat sink.

So now it's back to not booting up, but now there is some stuff happening on the screen. It's kinda hard to describe, Kind of a flashing static then after a bit it goes back to "no signal".

At this point I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the CPU socket.

I know you're not gonna want to hear this, but take it all out of the case and place it on a "pizza box" or the likes on your desk. Follow this guideline > http://forums.pcpits...ter-wont-start/

edit: when you pull the board out, check the CPU socket and make sure no lint or any thermal paste or the likes is in it.

I don't have time to do all that tonight so I tried re seating the CPU again. It worked for about 5 minutes and then froze. Tried to restart and when it gets to the ASUS screen it emits a continuous tone. :facepalm:

Tried to restart yet again, now it's back to not posting at all.

Edited by BlksnshN

Problem is, I don't have extra parts to try it out.

Just go with what you have. Set it up according to the guide, mobo, CPU/Heatsink, one stick RAM, connect monitor to board, short the two power pins on the mobo with Philips screwdriver. It should POST, and let you into BIOS where you can check your settings. I'd leave all CPU settings at stock for now, but make sure the RAM is set to 1866 Mhz. Boot order should be floppy/removable disk, cd, hdd... Make sure the time and date are correct, save and shut down. Attach hard drive and restart, once again it should POST and then boot into Windows. If this works, shut down and put it all back in the case very carefully. Fire up and do a reinstall of Windows, then install DirectX, then install mobo Chipset drivers.

Just go with what you have. Set it up according to the guide, mobo, CPU/Heatsink, one stick RAM, connect monitor to board, short the two power pins on the mobo with Philips screwdriver. It should POST, and let you into BIOS where you can check your settings. I'd leave all CPU settings at stock for now, but make sure the RAM is set to 1866 Mhz. Boot order should be floppy/removable disk, cd, hdd... Make sure the time and date are correct, save and shut down. Attach hard drive and restart, once again it should POST and then boot into Windows. If this works, shut down and put it all back in the case very carefully. Fire up and do a reinstall of Windows, then install DirectX, then install mobo Chipset drivers.

If it doesn't post with just the bear (LOL, I mean bare) minimum, what do you think would be the problem, CPU or MB?

How do I change the RAM setting? I haven't seen it in the BIOS even though I've been in there multiple times.

Edited by BlksnshN

I'd lean toward the motherboard if it won't POST in the bare minimum configuration.

In BIOS go to the "Advanced" tab and click "Jumperfree Configuration", set to Manual. Then you should see all the CPU/RAM options become available. Set CPUHT Reference Clock to 200Mhz. Leave the "Processor Frequency Multiplier" at "Auto" and bump the CPU clock till it tells ya' your CPU will run at 3400Mhz.

I'd leave everything else at "Auto" except the DRAM Frequency and DRAM timings, set the frequency to 1600Mhz and set the timings to 9-10-9-28, that's TCL - 9, TRCD - 10, TRP - 9, TRAS - 28 go through the other timings and leave all at Auto.

Check page 2-12 in your motherboard manual. I turn off Cool and Quiet, also turn off C1E...Advanced Clock Callibration - Auto...set Primary Video Controller - IGFX (when you get your video card you'll want GFX0)

Now get outta there and Save and Exit. Hopefully when you get to this point, you've already put it back in the case and when you get here...you should be off and running.

P.S. after you get it running and stable then you can try to Overclock it if you like and can bump the RAM to 1866 at that time...

Well, it just went right back to the original problem.

When I pulled the CPU earlier to re install it, The CPU came out when I pulled off the heat sink.

So now it's back to not booting up, but now there is some stuff happening on the screen. It's kinda hard to describe, Kind of a flashing static then after a bit it goes back to "no signal".

At this point I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the CPU socket.

The processor should never come up with the heat-sink. I'm inclined to go with your theory about the socket malfunctioning.

The lock on the socket casing should hold that processor down deep and tight enough that it can not be removed unless the locking arm is released.

Provided that no pins are bent on the processor itself, see if you can get that puppy locked in there real good.

If the processor can be raised or removed even if the locking mechanism is deployed, then that's the issue here.

The processor should never come up with the heat-sink. I'm inclined to go with your theory about the socket malfunctioning.

The lock on the socket casing should hold that processor down deep and tight enough that it can not be removed unless the locking arm is released.

Provided that no pins are bent on the processor itself, see if you can get that puppy locked in there real good.

If the processor can be raised or removed even if the locking mechanism is deployed, then that's the issue here.

i've serviced a very large number of systems over the last 15+ years and i've had this happen quite a bit when removing the heatsink. it's really not that uncommon for the processor to slide out of the socket when it's stuck to the heatsink. it's actually kind of good because it indicates that the processor is making excellent contact with the heatsink and should dissipate heat quite well.

one thing you DO need to do if this happens, however, is to check the pins to be sure none are bent or missing. i've never had a pin go missing on me, but a buddy of mine said he has.

Well, I couldn't get this thing to act right outside of the case either. So I am returning both the motherboard and the processor, might as well eliminate both possibilities. I'm sending the MB out today and they refunded me for the processor without even having to return it :blink:.

So I'm going to order what I wanted to get in the first place before I ordered the wrong mother board.

M5A97 and FX6200, Newegg has $10 off the 6200 right now.