Sign in to follow this  
Dan36

Do computers just get old and tired?

Hi all, does anyone have any ideas about this?

I've had this laptop for around 4 years and it's been great. In the last 6 months or so it's been slowing down and the fan has been racing like mad. I noticed the disk was nearing capacity. About 2 weeks ago I convinced myself I had a trojan, so I took backups, cleared the disk and 'restored' Vista to its factory state and started from scratch. I also opened the case and removed a LOAD of guff from the heatsink, which made me feel very pleased with myself.

So in my mind, the computer's performance should be back to how it was on the day I bought it. But even with nothing running the 'Physical Memory Usage' on Task Manager is consistently at 80-90%.

In Processes, Avira was consistently at the top of the 'Memory' list on the Processes tab, so I've installed Microsoft Security Essentials to try that instead. Previously I had AVG.

Also I've upped the pagefile to give it lots to play with.

So....why is it still acting like an old dog? The disk now has very little on it and I see no reason for it to overheat. Do I need to do something in BIOS as well? Or, do computers just get old and tired?

thanks for your thoughts

-Dan

Oh, I thought this would show in my sig:

Packard Bell EasyNote MH36 1.66GHz

1GB RAM

320GB HD

Vista Home Basic SP2 32Bit

Microsoft Security Essentials

Hi Dan,

Let's take a look under the hood and see what may behind the sluggishness.

Find your Internet Explorer icon, right click it and choose "Run as Administrator" and run the "Overdrive Test" from the main PC Pitstop site, then post the url to those results back here in your next reply.

Here's a "how-to": http://www.pcpitstop...ress/howto1.asp

:) Y

I hope you do this, Dan. I'd like to know how it all works out.

high fragmentation on the hard drive slows things down and as the hard drive ages it will gain more and more bad sectors. Try defraging it and running a check disk on it so windows will recognize any bad sectors and will avoid them

thanks for the good responses.

Turns out the answer was in the question. I've just realised I've been going round telling people I've got 1GB of RAM. The machine was actually meant to have 2GB, so sometime in the last couple of months it must've blown. Windows control panel now tells me I only have 1GB. I'm kicking myself for not spotting it sooner!

wish there'd been some warning from windows. oh well. hope this might help someone else....

thanks for the good responses.

Turns out the answer was in the question. I've just realised I've been going round telling people I've got 1GB of RAM. The machine was actually meant to have 2GB, so sometime in the last couple of months it must've blown. Windows control panel now tells me I only have 1GB. I'm kicking myself for not spotting it sooner!

wish there'd been some warning from windows. oh well. hope this might help someone else....

Glad you figured it out! I noticed that you posted the specs earlier:

Packard Bell EasyNote MH36 1.66GHz

1Gb RAM

320GB HD

Vista Home Basic SP2 32Bit

Microsoft Security Essentials

Strange that you didn't catch it then...

:geezer:

I'm also surprised because I have a 6 yr old computer that came with XP Pro ... updated it to Vista Business and it's still going strong as ever!

BTW... I use it to 'beta' test a lot of programs. :yup: