diskette 0 drive seek failure

Here the thing i have dell dimension e521 tower windows xp service pack 3 some ram (512) and a old hard drive. when turn it on i get diskette 0 seek failure and i have to hit the f1 key to continue or f2 to go in to the computer set up. It is annoying because there is no diskette on my desktop. How do i fix this?

Here the thing i have dell dimension e521 tower windows xp service pack 3 some ram (512) and a old hard drive. when turn it on i get diskette 0 seek failure and i have to hit the f1 key to continue or f2 to go in to the computer set up. It is annoying because there is no diskette on my desktop. How do i fix this?

If it's not broke leave it alone.

You need to go into the bios and change the boot devices. Dell has made it so that when you add or remove a drive, you need to make the changes in the bios too. You'll need to set the Disk 0 to disable so the bios won't attempt to use it when you boot up.

If you have an old IDE drive, you need to enable IDE in the bios and set that device's port to be enabled (usually IDE 0 or IDE 1)

Edited by Joe C

i have dell dimension e521 ... when turn it on i get diskette 0 seek failure

Power up the computer, wait for the Dell splash screen, and tap the F2 key to enter BIOS setup. In the Drives menu, set Diskette Drive to OFF. Press F11 to save the new setting.

There normally should be no need to alter the boot sequence, but it might be helpful for you to list the current settings in this instance, since you have a CD boot prompt. The settings are in the System menu (under Boot Sequence and HDD Boot Sequence), in the Drives menu (under Drives 0 through 3 and SATA Operation), and in the Boot Sequence menu (not the same as the one previously mentioned)..

Edited by TomGL2
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

My name is SUBHANKAR and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell.

It appears that somebidy has made some changes to the set-up of the system due to which you are having the issue.

Follow the below steps to fix the issue:

Disconnect all external devices like printers, external hard drive, flash drive, printer, scanner, etc.

Turn on the system & keep tapping F2 until you see the set-up screen(a blue screen).

Select the second option DRIVES from left.

Select DISKETTE DRIVE the status of which should always be OFF which is on currently.

Restart the system.

Again start tapping F2 on restart ubtil you are on the set-up sreen.

Select first option SYSTEM & go down to BOOT SEQUENCE & check whether the sequence is as follows:

• Internal Floppy Drive (not present)
  • Bootable Hard Drive
  • Onboard CD-ROM Drive
  • Integrated NIC (not present)
  • USB-FDD (not present)
Restart the system & it’s all done.

Hope that would resolve the issue and you need not have to spent a $.

Thanks,

DELL-Subhankar S.