Killdisk and then reinstall xp

I am contemplating wiping hard drive with Killdisk and then reinstalling xp. After running killdisk can I simply insert xp disk and follow prompts to reinstall or is there something more involved?

If I can't put my hands on my xp disk is there a way to save my os and reinstall? Would have to be a fairly simple process. Every time I read about formatting and partitioning I get confused.

Thanks

Edited by Btuvi

If your contemplating running Killdisk, then I highly recommend that you find an XP disk with your license key, then get all of your drivers, documents and what ever else you want to save and put it on another medium. Running Killdisk will remove everything on the drive, whatever you have on it now will be gone.

You can boot up to the XP disk and it will format the drive to an ntfs file system to install windows onto. You will get an option to format with a fat file system but it's more problematic and less secure.

If you have an oem license coa tag on the side of your pc then you need to get an oem type of xp disk. If you have a retail license then you'll need to find a retail xp disk. You can borrow a xp disk from a friend and use theirs.

You can not use a manufacture's restore or a recovery disk that is made only for a specific oem computer

Edited by Joe C

Thanks, Joe.

Given a short time - 2 or 3 years, perhaps, - I will join the ranks of the average users and clearly understand everything you said. In the meantime might you help me with a thing or two?

You said, "get all my drivers and put them on another medium". How would I do that?

If I can't find my original packaging (which is beginning to look doubtful after house move) -----

Would something like the following have everything I need to do an original install? And if so would it work a second time on my other computer?

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1438.l2649

And if I can do this would it be of value to move up (or over) to Windows 7?

Thanks again

Edited by Btuvi

You can get motherboard drivers for your PC from the manufacturers site (Dell, HP, etc).

That cd looks and sounds fine and should do the job. You should be able to just pop it in and follow the prompts to format and reinstall Windows. It will NOT work on a second computer tho', although you would be able to use it again on the same machine on which it was originally used.

Upgrading to Win7 is a great idea as long as your machine can handle it. Go here to see > http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

If you can run Windows 7 that's the route I would go.

:geezer:

You said, "get all my drivers and put them on another medium". How would I do that?

what brand name, model number and or the service tag for this pc? we can look this up for you and direct you to your driver download area

By another medium, I mean something else other than your current hard drive, a dvd, cd or even a flash/thumb drive will work

I am contemplating wiping hard drive with Killdisk and then reinstalling xp.

If you want to reinstall XP in order to (hopefully) resolve some issues the system is experiencing, it is likely possible to fix the problems with nondestructive methods.

After running killdisk can I simply insert xp disk and follow prompts to reinstall or is there something more involved?

Obviously the user data should be saved, which includes the contents of the Desktop(s), document folders (pictures, music, etc.), email and address book(s), program installers that were downloaded, and so forth. My practise is to copy files to an external hard disk; important files are also copied to a flash drive.

Separate from that, if the hard disk connects to the system via a SATA controller, Windows Setup may not have a compatible driver. Setup would therefore be unable to detect the hard disk. In this case, the SATA driver is installed from a floppy disk before Setup starts, by pressing F6 when prompted during the boot from CD.

As for other drivers, the motherboard maker should have available for download drivers for hardware integrated on the board, such as sound, graphics, Ethernet, SATA and/or RAID, etc. Drivers for add-in cards (usually sound and graphics, sometimes modem) can usually be had from the respective manufacturers or GPU makers (i.e., NVidia, AMD/ATI).

The Product Key, which you are required to enter during installation, is printed on a label affixed to the computer. It is also encrypted in the registry, and a number of small utilities can report the PK, for cases where the label is missing or damaged.

www.onsightdata.com/support/downloads/file/61-kf151

If I can't put my hands on my xp disk is there a way to save my os and reinstall?

No. Although the current installation could be backed up before erasing the hard disk, and then restored afterward, the result would be identical to the original, problems and all.