Sign in to follow this  
flyfishingrules2

Antec can kiss my ...

I "was" a big fan of Antec until now--I've had lots of PSUs and cases and have never had a problem until now. I have a High Current 750 watt (suppose to be top of the line) PSU that failed and actually must have had a small fire inside because it left a black smoke stain on the case (imagine if that went up in flames), which I notice when I removed the PSU. It is still under warranty and I received a RMA number, which is all fine and good, but here (from Antec) is what burns my hind-end:

All RMA items are replaced with refurbished items.

AND it certainly doesn't tell ya that on the original box!

As far as I'm concerned, I didn't buy a refurbished item so why should I get one in return? Guess this will be my last Antec purchase.

Question: is this standard proceedure with other PSUs and, say, motherboard, etc., manufacturers? Seems like a Crock to me. What say yea?

I have returned hard drives before--don't recall being told those were refurbished.

:shrug:

As consumers, why do we put up with such crap? I take a coat with button missing back to Sears, I don't get a refurbished one--in fact, we would be replused if they gave us back a coat that someone else has worn. How is this different?

:shrug:

Actually Sears does do such things. ;) I bought an overcoat last year, they did not have my size on the rack, but had one that someone returned because of a small tear in the seam, so I got the coat at a discount and Sue fixed the small tear. OMG worse then refurbished, it was damaged :P

I have had a couple motherboard RMA's, they send refurbished, or brand new it all depends what they have in stock. You may well get a brand new case.

Edited by Bruce

The pc parts industry is unlike any other. You can not compare with other industries.

A power supply that states a rating of 480w weights 1.1 lbs and sells for $13. ?

Because it'll puke if you push that power supply above 250w. (this is a logisys power supply)

How do they get away with it? I have no idea but it happens everyday all the time. I have found that the Antec name isn't up to the reputation the had in their past, they make cheapo and quality power supplies and they are no different that many other Chinese manufactured pc parts.

The capacitor debacle went on for damn near a decade before the manufactures made changes but those bad caps are still out there being produced even today, and you find them in the economy priced parts. I have had several higher priced Antec power supplies with these bad caps too, they know it but they will not return my emails when I write to question them on it.

Edited by Joe C

i bought a antc ....from Frontier PC and its a lemon...i have to uninstall the ethernet driver ti connect to the internet

i tried connecting a wireless n using linksy but its im possible...i paid $1500.00 for it and its junk

it work but lotsa tweaking ...junk

I had one of my first systems with an Antec PSU, took my system with it, will never use them again, even though many still rate them, I wont touch them.

So now we know why there are multiple companies making the same products. I'm glad I bought several PC Power and Cooling power supplies back when they were well made and preformed beyond the specs.

I should be good for the next 3 years. LOL

All RMA items are replaced with refurbished items.

this is standard in electronics....true story, refurbished electronics generally work better and last longer than new.

[/size][/font][/color]

this is standard in electronics....true story, refurbished electronics generally work better and last longer than new.

bullhockey

I have always had to rma refurbs. won't touch them ever

then you don't understand what refurb means and how they're treated vs. new items.

you should educate yourself on the subject.

refurb in many retail chains means this.

Take item, tape box closed, put back on shelf, sell as new!

Have seen it a million times.

As far as other items, it goes like this, boot mobo to bios. Put back in box sell as refurb item, video card, same as previous, other items, same as previous two.

I am sure there are some companies that go through more extensive testing, but I can't imagine why they would as testing and repairing is likely more expensive then to just throw a new one at the customer, or push the last RMA'd item out the door to the most recent RMA customer.

I recently got a bad mobo from ASUS, they wanted to send me a previously RMA/refurbished item. I said I would not accept someone else's broken motherboard. I wanted a new replacement or it would be the last of hundreds I have purchased from them. They sent a new replacement.

I am not saying that a board with a re-flashed BIOS would not have worked, but I was told by them that was exactly what I would get, aka called a refurbished board.

I avoid refurbished like the plague unless it is something I can see in front of me as fully functioning.

Something like a case I would accept but would not ever accept a "refurbished" hardware device. ;)

Obviously BB has never attempted to purchase and actually use refurb items before

Obviously BB has never attempted to purchase and actually use refurb items before

we're all entitled to being ignorant on different subjects, such as you and bruce on refurbs.

Bruce and I speak from the experience that others with opposite views certainly lack, as it obviously shows.

Edited by Joe C

IMHO I think there is truth to both sides here, "some" makers will do a refurb by properly checking it out, this obviously takes time which means money, so the amount of makers who would go to these lengths is probably in the minority, and probably only true for top end kit, on the other hand we live in a disposable age, where it's cheaper to bin something than mend it, and at these times a "refurb" is probably plug it in and see if it fires up, if it does it's classed as a refurb, and these are the ones to avoid.

I have a PCP&C 1KW unit that went bad, I ended up with a refurb, I obviously stated my objections to getting a 2nd hand replacement when I had paid for a new product, they then went on to say there was no choice as they no longer made my unit, I then pushed for an upgrade offering to pay the difference, but they denied me this as well saying they are not allowed to exchange units, it had to be like for like, so I was forced to swallow a refurb which I didn't like, but had no option, but so far a few years on all is well, my best guess is that being a top end component and company, they probably did do a proper refurb, checking every detail was ok, but that said, what goes on behind closed doors is scary at times, you would be disgusted by some of the things less scrupulous places will try, and unfortunately these days this is probably happening more than not as it's all about the money, and proper checks cost.

I am not referring to direct factory refurbs, although I have received video cards and motherboards from a factory rma that were worse than the item that was rma'd. The refurbs that someone should avoid would be the refurbs from Newegg, NCIX, Tiger and Best Buy. I have personally seen fried ic chips on refurb items from newegg. They may state "refurb" but it's very obvious it was doa before the item left the warehouse. I have gotten "refurb" hard drives that did work but they were so noisy that my wife asked what "all that racket was" from the next room! There is a good reason many refurbs only have a 30 day warranty

Under those situations I would totally agree, the cost aspect I mentioned above is the major thing here, but the tech's doing such work are probably not fully qualified to do such work the way a maker would, because who else apart from the makers would know exactly what to do and the spec required from it, so yes any refurb from 3rd parties are a gamble, and not one I would ever touch either.